WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Posting stories on social media

Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Steven McKinnon (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6
Default Posting stories on social media

[I've placed this in the non-fiction forum due to my own experiences, but I guess you can post fiction on Facebook etc. as well!]

I'm just wondering how many of you utilise social media for your writing endeavours? I always thought of Facebook etc. as marketing tools rather than a medium -- until I started posting stories myself.

Just over a year or so ago, the company I was working with went bust, my girflriend ended our relationship, and a lot of other personal turmoil that I won't bore you all with details of.

I couldn't concentrate on my own creative writing, but I still needed an outlet. Despite never having used Facebook much other than to keep in touch with a couple of people, I started 'updating my status' for the first time ever. Just simple stuff, observations. When people started paying attention and commenting, I started working harder and treating them like actual stories -- even though everything I wrote was real (stuff that happened on random nights out, Lovefilm salesman coming to my door and asking what 'teabagging' meant...).

To my surprise, people wanted more. It helped me become a better writer, spending a couple of days on, say, a 500-word 'status'. It even helped the social side of things, with people in my part-time job that I'd never spoken to before saying they'd been reading my stuff and enjoyed it.

I'm wondering, does anyone else use social media in this way, or more as a marketing tool for fiction and articles?

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

Originally Posted by snip from text
I'm just wondering how many of you utilize social media for your writing endeavors? I always thought of Facebook etc. as marketing tools rather than a medium -- until I started posting stories myself.
("...well I closed my facebook account some while back..." mentioned the goblin, continuing "...but instead, today I use this forumland here for my journey to self in posts as I call it...", where the goblin took his anonymity most seriously, even if he also understood that it was nigh impossible to remain anonymous here, well, both in light of the surveillance in public places together with those fingerprints tabs that results from whichever technology one chooses to express oneself in, and that they, whoever that "they" might be, had umpteen ways to find out who one was while on was here, yet facebook just made it all too obvious and easy for them, the goblin added "...ah, but I suppose that the same analogy can be said about one's life too, in that just because one knows one is going to die in the end, doesn't mean that one shouldn't try to live life to its full while still alive...", in other words don't drown before the boat sinks, and then the goblin raised another aspect to being here, explaining "...have you noticed that while online there is only ever two choices here, that of an aging wendy as in someone known, or that of an ageless peter pan as in an unknown, where most, like your good self it seems, have chosen to be a known wendy here, a mirror image of their dailylife too, whereas me, I place no claim whatsoever upon anything I write, and yet by that token then, I do not age by what I write neither, so in answer to your question finally, yes I do use this social media as a medium to socialize in, though I guess I become a known unknown while doing so...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 01-26-2014 at 05:00 AM..
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Damn, mailman - it's going to take him so long to decipher that that I'll bet he misses two or three of those 500-word posts.

Way to cock it up (hee, hee - I got to use that term I just learned from Cari, over in the Old Country! I guess it means 'Fuck it up'- oops, we're talking about Facebook, here: 'Mess it up').

But don't worry, flea - we love ya anyway!

But, seriously, if you're getting good feedback and it's improving your writing, go for it! It's the same thing flea's doing here, just a different venue. If flea wasn't getting positive feedback here, he'd go somewhere else and that's what you should do: go to the place that nourishes your growth. If that place happens to be Facebook, so be it (just be careful about the keywords: terrorist, bomb, Obama, help they're breaking down my door and hauling me off to some dungeon forever, bye, goodbye, goodbye...)

Last edited by JustcallmeEd; 01-21-2014 at 09:58 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustcallmeEd For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (01-22-2014), Steven McKinnon (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...well I closed my facebook account some while back..." mentioned the goblin, continuing "...but instead, today I use this forumland here for my journey to self in posts as I call it...", where the goblin took his anonymity most seriously, even if he also understood that it was nigh impossible to remain anonymous here, well, both in light of the surveillance in public places together with those fingerprints tabs that results from whichever technology one chooses to express oneself in, and that they, whoever that "they" might be, had umpteen ways to find out who one was while on was here, yet facebook just made it all too obvious and easy for them, the goblin added "...ah, but I suppose that the same analogy can be said about one's life too, in that just because one knows one is going to die in the end, doesn't mean that one shouldn't try to live lift to its full while still alive...", in other words don't drown before the boat sinks, and then the goblin raised another aspect to being here, explaining "...have you noticed that while online there is only ever two choices here, that of an aging wendy as in someone known, or that of an ageless peter pan as in an unknown, where most, like your good self it seems, have chosen to be a known wendy here, a mirror image of their dailylife too, whereas me, I place no claim whatsoever upon anything I write, and yet by that token then, I do not age by what I write neither, so in answer to your question finally, yes I do use this social media as a medium to socialize in, though I guess I become a known unknown while doing so...")
No idea what's going on here.

But I love it.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post
Damn, mailman - it's going to take him so long to decipher that that I'll bet he misses two or three of those 500-word posts.

Way to cock it up (hee, hee - I got to use that term I just learned from Cari, over in the Old Country! I guess it means 'Fuck it up'- oops, we're talking about Facebook, here: 'Mess it up').

But don't worry, flea - we love ya anyway!

But, seriously, if you're getting good feedback and it's improving your writing, go for it! It's the same thing flea's doing here, just a different venue. If flea wasn't getting positive feedback here, he'd go somewhere else and that's what you should do: go to the place that nourishes your growth. If that place happens to be Facebook, so be it (just be careful about the keywords: terrorist, bomb, Obama, help they're breaking down my door and hauling me off to some dungeon forever, bye, goodbye, goodbye...)
Yeah, good advice! I recommend it -- stuff that makes people laugh goes down well, I've not posted anything 'serious'. I think that would go against the grain of the disposable, dip-in-and-out nature of social media.

But cheers!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57

I stay away from writing anything on Facebook. It was reserved a long time ago for socializing with family and friends. Now I might use it to market a completed work, but under my pen name. Using it for your writing is just awkward. my opinion though
Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by egrizzly View Post
I stay away from writing anything on Facebook. It was reserved a long time ago for socializing with family and friends. Now I might use it to market a completed work, but under my pen name. Using it for your writing is just awkward. my opinion though
Honestly, I'd have thought the same. I only post stuff that has been written with it in mind, I wouldn't stick a short story on and expect a critique or anything, but I find it helps to work on something 'disposable' and light in between larger works.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM
rrobb911 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 5

Originally Posted by egrizzly View Post
It's not a serious enough place to get constructive criticism, just opinions from your mom and a couple friends.

I would promote my blog on there and that's it. No serious stories or anything. That's places like this are for.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

I wouldn't do so, Steven.

Too many idiots about who might plagiarise. And I do realise you said it wouldn't be anything serious, but my answer is the same. The only exception would be brief excerpts to generate interest.

If you're wanting to do more than that, post on somewhere like Wattpad where you can't copy and paste the text. It's safer at least, even though there's still a risk and you're still giving your writing away for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidGil; 01-31-2014 at 07:10 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

("...if it's on the screen, then it can simply be copied anyway..." intervened the goblin, suspecting that it was little more than printscreen then printout then photocopy into word format, adding "...but then again if you hallmark your writing style in such a way that they wouldn't go as far as to pass it off as their own afterwards, then being copied to elsewhere by someone is like "go for it please, and with my blessing too", since it advertises you to new readers by it, yes I find my posts in blogs, elsewhere on forumland, and in facebook too, I am told, my blessing again...", in fact, the goblin was anonymous so the idea of copyright was a non starter for him, moreover, he felt that there was a race on now, one where someone spending a couple of months to write a book was at a disadvantage as it was an awful long wait and asking a lot from readers who could find quick interactive reads upon forumland instead, repeating "...no it's only the writers themselves who think of these social medias as some means to their books elsewhere end, yet the readers for their part are, just as you are too, are here to be here now, they're on facebook to be on facebook then, visiting blogs to read those blogs, etc., yet daily one sees writers shooting themselves in the foot still, while no doubt leaving readers wondering if they got any toes left...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 02-01-2014 at 06:45 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe