WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Nothing Makes Sense Anymore

Old 08-02-2013, 10:57 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Nothing Makes Sense Anymore

These days I don't read as much as I used to. I've been trying to be a writer for over a decade, yet I feel like I haven't improved at all no matter how hard I try. I feel like there is a major flaw with my writing style, I doubt if my characters are believable enough, if the conflict is solid enough, or if the plot is interesting. I feel like my dialogue is wooden and not believable. In fact, it's as if I'm the one who's talking, and I don't have a very extended vocabuary.

I've got some good ideas for stories, yet I have no idea how to develop them to make them something people want to read. My characters are either flawless or are either all-white and pure or all-black with no redeeming qualities. I have great difficulty getting into a character's head. I can't make sense out of any of the imformation in any of the how to write a book books I have. I can't sympathize or empathize with any characters in other books. I can't write long paragraphs with great detail and bring any of the scenes to life. I'm more of the simple teller than the shower.

Frankly I can't understand why I have so much difficulty doing what everyone else has no problem doing or if I even do anything right. What's wrong with me?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch

You think we have no problem with it? Finding the individual voice of a character is, quite possibly, the most difficult thing you will ever do as a writer.

You need to read more. I know it's hard- and as you get busier with the "real world" it gets even more difficult. But make the time. Read on your lunch breaks. Get audio books (I know they come on disk or downloadable for your phone/mp3) and listen to them in the car, or while mowing or cleaning or doing the dishes.

Invest in a both a dictionary and a thesaurus. These are the most crucial tools you can have as a writer. Keep them beside you as you write.

Find someone you trust, someone with either experience as a writer or a good grasp of the dynamics involved, and ask them for honest feedback on what you've written. (More important still? Get a thick skin because not all critiques and criticism is comfortable!)

If you don't like your writing style break it down. Find where the flaw is. Have someone help you find that flaw if needed. If you must, change your style- study several different writing styles and find what works for you.

When you've found a flaw? Write in a way to specifically target that flaw. Keep writing. You may throw away a hundred pages for every one you keep, but keep at it!

And always remember- a writer's worst critic is him(her)self. What you spot as glaring issues may be barely noticeable to someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Synch For This Useful Post:
DwayneA (08-02-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Synch is spot on here. Spot on.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues