WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.


Why Was Mike C Banned?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Konan's Avatar
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 638
Thanks: 82
Thanks 89
Default


Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Nah. That's stand up comedy.

Actual writing is something done because there is no alternative.

Yes, there is commercial tripe that fits your definition.
If you wanna call that writing I say you are, well - I ain't gonna go gettin' all metaphorical here 'cause that distracts from my pristine statement.

Yeah, thanks for reading the foregoing and be sure I would have typed it anyway if I was the only person on earth.
What, exactly, are you trying to say?

  #32  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:49 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,547
Thanks: 439
Thanks 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
I disagree. There's a difference. Golf is objective; writing is subjective. Being a good golfer isn't dependent on other people's good opinions. Writing is.


Writing is not subjective
  #33  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Konan's Avatar
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 638
Thanks: 82
Thanks 89
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Writing is not subjective
Why not?

Almost every agent's form rejection letter says the "publishing business" is highly subjective.

Do you disagree? Are they lying to us writers to let us down easy?
  #34  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,547
Thanks: 439
Thanks 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Why not?



Almost every agent's form rejection letter says the "publishing business" is highly subjective.



Do you disagree? Are they lying to us writers to let us down easy?


Yes, they are lying to not hurt feelings
  #35  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,547
Thanks: 439
Thanks 1,231
Default

And also its good business practice not to insult people or burn bridges
  #36  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:47 PM
Konan's Avatar
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 638
Thanks: 82
Thanks 89
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yes, they are lying to not hurt feelings
I disagree. JK Rowling got rejected plenty of times before she broke through, and I'm willing to bet she got the "this is a very subjective business" as an excuse for her rejections many times as well.

When it's golf, if you can continually score under par, the evidence is there that you're good. With writing, I assert, it depends on other people's opinions of your work to be successful. There is little in the way of an objective barimeter to measure your skill in telling a story.
  #37  
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 AM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,547
Thanks: 439
Thanks 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
I disagree. JK Rowling got rejected plenty of times before she broke through, and I'm willing to bet she got the "this is a very subjective business" as an excuse for her rejections many times as well.



When it's golf, if you can continually score under par, the evidence is there that you're good. With writing, I assert, it depends on other people's opinions of your work to be successful. There is little in the way of an objective barimeter to measure your skill in telling a story.


JK Rowling cant write like Tiger played golf. You misunderstood my comparison. Im not saying shes a bad writer, shes adequate, and managed to hit the sweet spot for YA fiction (making her series popular even for adults), but Tiger was dominant in golf like no one before him.
  #38  
Old 07-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Konan's Avatar
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 638
Thanks: 82
Thanks 89
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
JK Rowling cant write like Tiger played golf. You misunderstood my comparison. Im not saying shes a bad writer, shes adequate, and managed to hit the sweet spot for YA fiction (making her series popular even for adults), but Tiger was dominant in golf like no one before him.
Have you forgotten that Rowling dominated her marketplace too? You do know she prompted the NY Times to change their category ratings, right?

She wrote 7 books and became a billionaire. Tiger played how many games to achieve the same result?

I think you give her too little credit.
  #39  
Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 4,278
Thanks: 395
Thanks 733
Default

The question: Why was Mike C Banned

He ran afoul of some previous rule makers (given a perma-ban twice)



When I took over as admin I granted mulligans/reprieves to people, and there has only been one temp ban since (to the best of my recollection)



With that question answered, and with this thread drifting into an interminable "I know you are, but what am I?" series of responses I will now close this thread.
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Closed Thread

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the opening to my first book nmeleen Fiction 20 09-23-2016 11:23 AM
Green Hell starrwriter Fiction 4 03-11-2008 05:01 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:35 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.