WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Classmate Authored TV Series

Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Classmate Authored TV Series

Of all the kids I went to high school with in Benton Harbor, Michigan, only one other than me became a published author.

His name was Allen Wold. He was a rather strange skinny kid -- a sort of loner who was very introverted.

Several years ago a Benton Harbor friend mentioned that Wold had written some sci-fi books that were published in the 1980s.

Image my surprise when I learned today that Wold's books were the basis of the television series "V," which ran from 1983 to 1985. I recall the series very well. It was about reptilian humanoid aliens who come to live on earth.

Wold must have made quite a bundle from the book rights. The series was produced by Warner Brothers Television, which was a big deal.

When Warner Brothers cancelled the series after 3 years, they received a flood of letters from angry fans. Some 23 years later there are several websites dedicated to the TV series.

Below is the latest photo of Wold. Although he is only a few months older than me, he looks at least 10 years older. He must have had a harder life than I did.

Wold lives in North Carolina and is still writing sci-fi. He is married and has a grown daughter.

We are the only published fiction authors to come out of the 500-member class of 1962 at Benton Harbor High School. Our school wasn't exactly a literary engine.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Hmm. Can't see enough of his face to tell how old he looks. But 500 kids in one year?! Blimey. That's how many we had in my whole secondary school.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Queen of Wands View Post
Hmm. Can't see enough of his face to tell how old he looks.
He looks like a nursing home Santa Claus to me.

But 500 kids in one year?! Blimey. That's how many we had in my whole secondary school.
My high school had a total of nearly 2,000 students, even though it was located in a relatively small town (pop 18,000.)

By the way, the other two Benton Harbor High graduates who became "famous" were pro basketball star Chet Walker and Arte Johnson of "Laugh In," but they were before my time.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I've never seen a nursing home Santa before and I suspect you haven't either, Starr. But I get your drift. He is rather, um, tonsorally challenged (in the current lingo).

As I said, my whole secondary came to 500 girls (it was a single sex school), so 2,000 is just boggling. But I think that is fairly common in a lot of schools, really. Maybe it was just that I went to a small one. Certainly the ones we looked at for the Wolfling (before she opted out of school) were probably on that order.

I'm not a basketball fan. Men in underpants, that's what I call it. Highly boring and unattractive. (As opposed to ice hockey with its toothless wonders. Hmm. Something wrong there.) But Arte Johnson I have heard of; Rowan & Martin's Laugh In. Funny stuff, for its time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

I've never seen a nursing home Santa before and I suspect you haven't either, Starr.
I intend to BE a Santa when I'm old enough to live in a nursing home. Santa gets to dish out his Christmas gift to the nurses.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

And I think I know what Santa-Starr will be dishing out, hohoho!

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe