WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Is humanity pro science or pro religion?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:51 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
So yes, the quote was pulled from scripture, but I'm not sure about how you were trying to apply it. Definitely a veer in the conversation....

Go back and read the whole thing. I havenít veered, but drilled down to the important level appropriate for a thread of this magnitude.

Also, the chap/verse I referenced is only one of many tellings of this. Mark, Luke, and a couple others told this story in different settings, and to different effect.

Is humanity pro religion or pro science is the wrong question imo.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:01 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Go back and read the whole thing. I havenít veered, but drilled down to the important level appropriate for a thread of this magnitude.

Also, the chap/verse I referenced is only one of many tellings of this. Mark, Luke, and a couple others told this story in different settings, and to different effect.
Is humanity pro religion or pro science is the wrong question imo
if it is wrong then what is the right one?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-24-2018, 05:16 AM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 517

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post

if it is wrong then what is the right one?
Why, of course, Nacia, that would be, "But is it art?"

Damn - I think I just pollocked the thread.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Stick to subject? I was just pointing out his errors. Had he been writing the nonsense in his diary, I wouldn't give a hoot. But, as you may observe, their are fragile minds around here. I also believe others have veered off topic here. Ed, you're showing your bias again. I don't give a darn because I'm not a stool pigeon. But it deserved a mention. KKK stuff.

Out of curiosity what was the motive for calling me out on trolling? Are you trying to get administrators to can me? That's a wimpy move, if so.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:28 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Stick to subject? I was just pointing out his errors. Had he been writing the nonsense in his diary, I wouldn't give a hoot. But, as you may observe, their are fragile minds around here. I also believe others have veered off topic here. Ed, you're showing your bias again. I don't give a darn because I'm not a stool pigeon. But it deserved a mention. KKK stuff.

Out of curiosity what was the motive for calling me out on trolling? Are you trying to get administrators to can me? That's a wimpy move, if so.

I go back and forth with you. Sometimes I think youíre just not intellectually capable enough to have a serious conversation, and sometimes you appear to know youíre being disingenuousóhaving a laugh, as it were. Just trolling to produce a reaction.

Mo is the only administrator, and Iím sure he (being who he is, and thinking the way he does) is exceptionally aware of our interactions. So the idea that I would have to ďcall outĒ your actions in any way seems silly. It makes me think you have some idea like: I can hide my provocative, acidic actions here in some wayósneak it under the radar. And that... bends my opinion of you towards intellectually incapable.

There are young people here with impressionable minds, etc. Iím aware of that. But just in case you are inferring that Nacia is one of those people, you should take another look. Yes, she sometimes has a child-like wonder of the world around her, but sheís a fully formed adult, capable of distilling information and coming up with her own conclusions about what she will accept and what she will reject. She is one of the few posters here whom Iíve never seen be either mean, or deeply insulted. So Iím pretty sure she doesnít need to be protected.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

What really will be a footnote is atheism. By then, Science will have developed devices enabling us to directly communicate with the spirit world. With the truth available to all, atheism will cease to exist.

Those electronic recording devices already exist (need to be developed further though). It was Thomas Edison who worked on such a device. He passed without ever fulfilling his desire. But, it's coming.

Naturally, a medium or a person developed in automatic writing has no use for the electronic means because they communicate through supernatural channels. But, for the busy who have no time to develop psychic abilities, the electronic medium will be of much value.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

By the way, did you say something about my not being smart? Well, I concede. You got me there. But, all in all, I didn't do badly for someone who left school after the fourth grade. You have to admit, right.

I wish I could have grown up to be as smart as some people frequenting WB. Shucks, maybe, my next incarnation.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:49 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

What really will be a footnote is atheism. By then, Science will have developed devices enabling us to directly communicate with the spirit world. With the truth available to all, atheism will cease to exist.

Those electronic recording devices already exist (need to be developed further though). It was Thomas Edison who worked on such a device. He passed without ever fulfilling his desire. But, it's coming.

Naturally, a medium or a person developed in automatic writing has no use for the electronic means because they communicate through supernatural channels. But, for the busy who have no time to develop psychic abilities, the electronic medium will be of much value.

How will the development of such devices eliminate atheism? It would all just be science at that pointóno need for faith. So, I would think atheism would rule the day at that point.

I would never say there isnít more to this world than the biological body could see or interpret. Iím just saying itís not given to us by a ďmysticalĒ being (of any stripe).
Old 06-24-2018, 02:13 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

And btw, your education level has nothing to do with being intelligent. It may inform your held opinions, but that doesnít mean those opinions canít change.

You have a belief in mediums and the spirit world. What if science showed you that this was just another aspect of consciousness gone unseen by most humans? Maybe thereís a more rational explanation than the one you currently espouse.

Iím open the that. I barely graduated the 12th grade, and I donít see a discrepancy in the current understanding and this possibility.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:14 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Atheism is a skepticism in the existence of a god, creator or higher intelligence.

Even if possible, how would proving the existence of a spirit world, prove the existence of a god?

EDIT: You know your Bible prohibits seeking out the counsel of mediums, right?

Last edited by Konan; 06-24-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 PM
MikeCobley (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

Not sure if on topic or not.

But i would say England (not sure about Wales, Scotland or NI), is pro-science

Rgds

'The Shadow Grounds' -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently working: - 'Anomaly' Sci-Fi - save the world type, 'NeverLeave' - horror, and 'A Meeting of Worlds' fantasy.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCobley For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:06 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by MikeCobley View Post
Not sure if on topic or not.

But i would say England (not sure about Wales, Scotland or NI), is pro-science

Rgds
hello Mike, and welcome to the forum
what makes you think that?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-25-2018, 01:18 AM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 517

... Since he has been posting in this forum, he has displayed "anti-Christian" and "anti-God" tendencies...
Originally Posted by Konan View Post
...EDIT: You know your Bible prohibits seeking out the counsel of mediums, right?
Just out of curiosity, Cityboy, how do you reconcile your Christianity with your pursuit of activities contrary to the Word of God (communication with the dead, etc)?

You must be looking for a new name, Cityboy, since you took so well to the one I gave you the last time you mentioned a "stool pigeon" (or was that Ed? Either way, it was a classic rant).

But never fear - since returning to the fold and being cloaked in green, I no longer have the freedom to engage in such richly descriptive dialogue as I did then.

I called you out because, although Mohican and I are considerably more lenient than those who went before, there are still rules and guidelines. Repeated insults and derogatory statements do nothing to further the discussion, and do much to keep many people from joining in on the conversation.

I dislike having to use these green robes, and I especially dislike having to eliminate anyone from the conversation, but enough is enough (and I don't think I need Admin to do it).

Capiche?
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 06-25-2018, 03:57 AM
MikeCobley (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

hello Mike, and welcome to the forum
what makes you think that?
Ty! :-)

I can only go by who i interact with on a daily bases. But on the whole they seem to mostly all fall on the Science side rather than the religious. I wasn't sure on your direction in the OP, but this is with regards to scientific philosophies and also morality - i.e. religion doesn't dictate how one should behave / act.

This will also be biased as I am none religious, so you could argue that I am more likely to interact those with similar ideals.

Who knows :-)

Rgds

'The Shadow Grounds' -

Currently working: - 'Anomaly' Sci-Fi - save the world type, 'NeverLeave' - horror, and 'A Meeting of Worlds' fantasy.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCobley For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 27

i have faith in science nacia.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by chippedmonk View Post
i have faith in science nacia.
you do?? how is that?
I have faith in neither haha.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-25-2018, 12:46 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 27

because science works!
it got us on the moon and lets me post my crap here.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

because science works!
it got us on the moon and lets me post my crap here.
LOL of course but let's just pause for minute you and I never went to the moon right??
in fact I would not want to at all. I like it here on earth.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM
chippedmonk (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 27

LOL of course but let's just pause for minute you and I never went to the moon right??
in fact I would not want to at all. I like it here on earth.
haha i didn't mean you and i, rather humankind. or are you one of these moon landing sceptics?
i love the earth too, love it to smithereens.
but i wouldn't mind a short trip to the moon, if only to see my home glowing from afar. i wish the journey wasn't so demanding physically and mentally.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

haha i didn't mean you and i, rather humankind. or are you one of these moon landing sceptics?
i love the earth too, love it to smithereens.
but i wouldn't mind a short trip to the moon, if only to see my home glowing from afar. i wish the journey wasn't so demanding physically and mentally.
haha I was only joking about you and I being on the moon.
I would not wish it upon myself to even consider to step on a rocket that I have no control of because someone else is doing for you. It is a bit like driving a car without holding the wheel. It scares the hell out of me and also I would not want to loose track of my feet on the ground and simply floating I will get bored.
I guess it is all about control.
Floating is synthetic and bares no marks on how one could or should conduct themselves. the whole theory of living on earth is lost on one.
What would be the point of that?
And by the way you can still see you beautiful home from afar without having to travel to space.
I am against space travel as you can tell. I think it detrimental on the human race. it is not a good idea. but that is another story
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 06-25-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 11:26 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Originally Posted by MikeCobley View Post

religion doesn't dictate how one should behave / act.
You're kidding, right?
Nacia (06-30-2018)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table