WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Ten Differences Between a Good Writer and a Bad Writer

Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by Burlesk View Post
Oh, I got it alright. I got that you made a flat-out assertion about what good writers don't do, and were proved wrong.

And then claimed that you were 'not serious'.

And then insisted that you were actually making a 'pretty clear' point.

Ho-kay. I think we're probably finished here.
What’s clear is, you missed the original point. Anyone who’s spent any time on writing sites or who pays any attention to what authors have to say about writing has seen these lists. Sometimes good authors make them -- often with tongue in cheek. Duh.

To spell it out further for you -- the comment was aimed mostly at people on writing sites -- not authors with a track record, who at least have done something to back up what they say and who are clever enough to make it somewhat interesting or entertaining.

If I made all my asides so painfully obvious that anyone could get them -- it wouldn’t be much fun. Sorry you took it seriously -- and that you felt the need to somehow prove me "wrong." Not my problem.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 12-10-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 PM
maidahl

Nooo keep arguing.

I think tis funny.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Alexa (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 5

The essential difference is in talent and the field the writer works in. i mean that in some scientific pieces of writing it's not so obvious that a writer is not rather good one, but fiction makes everything clear!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM
maidahl

Writers are detectives, no? They find what people are like before people figure it out and then tell them what they want to be like so that they can't tell that we are stealing their life stories and they feel scared of such masterful works of art. Is it love or is it art? Dzrling, I think we are little thieves. We can make people want to think they are really somebody else without changing too much of themselves. If we get better, we can make them believe they will get there. They can lead a purposed life.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
Writers are detectives, no? They find what people are like before people figure it out and then tell them what they want to be like so that they can't tell that we are stealing their life stories and they feel scared of such masterful works of art. Is it love or is it art? Dzrling, I think we are little thieves. We can make people want to think they are really somebody else without changing too much of themselves. If we get better, we can make them believe they will get there. They can lead a purposed life.

There are billions of people on earth. All different. There are only twelve different types of people. Learn these twelve, and every reader will see their self in one of your characters.
Have you ever read the works of a good writer, and said; “Oh, I’ve done that.” “I’ve felt that way.” “I’m like that.”
You need not have twelve characters in your story. You can pack several into one character.
I could tell you where to find these twelve characters. Need I?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
Nooo keep arguing.

I think tis funny.
Heh. Joe's sense of humour is lost on some people but yeah, kind of funny to watch them squirm.

Your sense of humour seems pretty sharp (I've been paying attention) though. I like it.

Even funnier that so many people come to this thread and take it seriously enough to actually speculate on the difference between a good writer and a bad one...
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
Heh. Joe's sense of humour is lost on some people but yeah, kind of funny to watch them squirm.

Your sense of humour seems pretty sharp (I've been paying attention) though. I like it.

Even funnier that so many people come to this thread and take it seriously enough to actually speculate on the difference between a good writer and a bad one...
Do you know the difference?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
There are billions of people on earth. All different. There are only twelve different types of people. Learn these twelve, and every reader will see their self in one of your characters.
Have you ever read the works of a good writer, and said; “Oh, I’ve done that.” “I’ve felt that way.” “I’m like that.”
You need not have twelve characters in your story. You can pack several into one character.
I could tell you where to find these twelve characters. Need I?
Please do tell us all where the twelve different types of people in the world can be found. And characters can have several different characteristics? We never knew.

And damnit, this knowledge is what I've been lacking all this time.

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post

I must admit that it seems the arguing that takes place here these days seems to be a big reason to browse the threads. Alongside the nugget of wisdom I quoted before your reply.

Used to be quite different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 AM
CandraH

Do you know the difference?
Don't get me started. I'm supposed to be behaving myself these days.

Originally Posted by DavidGil View Post
I must admit that it seems the arguing that takes place here these days seems to be a big reason to browse the threads. Alongside the nugget of wisdom I quoted before your reply.

Used to be quite different.
Wow, I didn't bother reading that but... oh my.

So everyone is different but the are only twelve difference types?

And yeah, it's the bickering that makes this place worth while, in a weird kind of way. I know I shouldnt be admitting that but fuck it, I can only behave myself so much ya know?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

DavidGil said; " Please do tell us all where the twelve different types of people in the world can be found. And characters can have several different characteristics? We never knew.

And damnit, this knowledge is what I've been lacking all this time."

Is this a smart mouth remark?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

DavidGil said; " Please do tell us all where the twelve different types of people in the world can be found. And characters can have several different characteristics? We never knew.

And damnit, this knowledge is what I've been lacking all this time."

Is this a smart mouth remark?
No.

I'm totally serious. I can't see how I or others can write without such knowledge.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 12-28-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

Originally Posted by DavidGil View Post
No.

I'm totally serious. I can't see how I or others can write without such knowledge.
You said, "We never knew."

I'm not stupid David...I know a smart remark when I see one. The We either says I'm full of shit, or you have somebody sitting in your pocket.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

You said, "We never knew."

I'm not stupid David...I know a smart remark when I see one. The We either says I'm full of shit, or you have somebody sitting in your pocket.
I never meant to imply you were stupid.

I think you're doing quite a good job of it yourself. And you really had to ask if I was being sarcastic/smart? I think that said it all. And maybe stupid is the wrong word. You're definitely not painting yourself in a good light though. I'll let you work out what I mean.

Pay attention to what you post/do and how it makes you look if you don't want to give people a negative view and if you want to be taken seriously. You won't get taken seriously by saying things like the above or with some of the other things you've done/said on the forum. (Case in point: You started the thread. Where has the original post and others of yours gone? Also, do note that the thread was created in 2011. You are still pulling the trick of deleting posts, I might add, with little to no apparent reason. When the original post of something is deleted, it possibly renders the entire thread pointless without a reference point as to what started it in the first place. Also, for me at least, it is irritating. Original post or not.)

And lastly, Domenic, I'd think you were baiting CandraH with the 'do you know the difference?' if I didn't know any better.

So that I'm adding something productive:

I'm not sure I see the point in the thread. We all have different views about what makes a good writer. So, let's state the obvious as to what people may think makes a good writer and leave it at that?

(It only has to be one thing, but preferably a combination, given people's differing criteria. And these don't necessarily match my opinion, though I do think quite a few of them are what make a good writer.)

1) They can tell a good story. (Does not necessarily need to be technically sound.)
2) They can write good characters.
3) They have good insight.
4) They make you think. About world issues or various other things, such as trying to work out where a story's going.
5) They are technically sound.
6) They can write in multiple genres and their stories aren't all the same when it comes to both content and how something's written. Versatile in other words.
7) They try to do something original, or at least something that's not done very often.
8) They can make you feel something.
9) And for Mike/Gaines. Titles sold.
10) Titles not sold.
11) Those that are published.

So, how's that for stating the obvious? And is there anything I missed? There's not really anything to debate honestly. Doubt we'll reach a consensus as to what makes a good writer and as CandraH said, I find it hard to believe that anyone's actually speculating on this seriously.

Oh and CandraH, do behave less. Hope I gave you and others some amusement.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 12-28-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Damn, David -- now we may never learn the secret of the "twelve different types of people."
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Damn, David -- now we may never learn the secret of the "twelve different types of people."
David is being David. In ten years, David will still be David. In twenty years, David will still be David.
When David dies, they will write one word on his head stone...David.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:58 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I'm glad David will be David -- he's one of the people around here who has bead on this writing thing -- someone you can take seriously.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

I'm glad David will be David -- he's one of the people around here who has bead on this writing thing -- someone you can take seriously.
Now David will have to say you're a good writer too.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

David is being David. In ten years, David will still be David. In twenty years, David will still be David.
When David dies, they will write one word on his head stone...David.
Cheers for not touching on or taking notice of a single thing I said and also for showing everyone what you're like.

And I know that'll be on my headstone. It's great, isn't it?

Joe,

My apologies. I would honestly love to know myself, as well.

And cheers for the kind words. Actually writing something good and finishing it is a different case though.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 12-28-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

Didn't we just have an argument earlier about how childish I am for defending the use of casual swearing?

I'm starting to wonder if your whole persona is an invention used to aggravate people. Is there a single topic upon which you don't hold controversial and internally inconsistent opinions?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Emerald, I think you deserve a cookie or a pizza, depending on what you prefer.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 12-28-2012 at 02:47 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidGil For This Useful Post:
Emerald (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Didn't we just have an argument earlier about how childish I am for defending the use of casual swearing?

I'm starting to wonder if your whole persona is an invention used to aggravate people. Is there a single topic upon which you don't hold controversial and internally inconsistent opinions?
Oh...it's you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Domenic For This Useful Post:
Emerald (12-28-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

or you have somebody sitting in your pocket.
I have someone sitting in my pocket all the time. And he's telling me now to--oh, wait. Never mind. Irrelevant. Like much of this arguing. Lol!

Don't make my stupid red-rimmed eyes hurt watching this thread. Sheesh.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Redlorry

Oh, wait. Is that the lunch bell?

Everybody get in line behind your form tutor and form an orderly line to the cafeteria.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 AM
CandraH

Hahaha. I love this thread.

My fingers are twitching but Miss Lorrypants is on the prowl so I better not.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Redlorry

Just passing through the playground Candra.

Since it's the festive season, and acting like a bunch of children is what makes some members happy, so be it.

Just as long as no one comes crying to us when they get hit in the head by a rock... or worse.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 AM
CandraH

Open Season then? Goody, goody! And you know me, I'm never one to cry over getting bashed about the head.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Redlorry

Well, the same people who don't want us to act like a nanny state are usually the same people to complain as soon as they get a little out of their depth.

If only people knew could understand they're not being forced to type a response.

If only people understood how to use the ignore function.

If only... *sigh*
Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 AM
CandraH

Heh. It's a funny old place, this internet. Seems to create an odd sense of internet-rage in some people and yeah, typing a response isn't mandatory. But it's like some people just got to have that last word, and then the next one, and the next, lol.

Me? I've never used the ignore function but I have ignored people lots of times.

How are your holidays going by the way? I think I read somewhere you had a cold? Hope you're feeling better, girly.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Redlorry

Ha ha... I have too much curiosity to use the ignore function. But I do know when to walk away.

As for me, thank you for asking. Myself and my son have had one of those coughs that keep you awake in the night... I've had mine for over a week now and although the cough is getting easier I have laryngitis as a result. The doctor has prescribed voice rest... Not possible when you have monkeys such as my children. Still with a few catnaps we've had a great Christmas regardless.

And there's plenty of alcohol in the house, medicinal purposes only,of course... I just wish I could enjoy all the nuts and cheese and biscuits I'd got in for the festive season. I could sink a barge with the amount of cheese in my fridge.

How about you? Have you had a good Christmas? What's the weather been doing up there?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
Ha ha... I have too much curiosity to use the ignore function. But I do know when to walk away.
Oh, me too. It's like that car crash thing again. Sometimes you just cant help looking.

Good to hear you're enjoying your Christmas, cough or no. We're trying to enjoy ours between crazy storms and sub zero temperatures. Last night we had seventy mile an hour winds while out on the islands they were getting up to ninety. We're still here, thankfully, but if I was still a drinker, I'd have had the vodka out weeks ago. I live in a static caravan at the bottom of my wee mum's garden (cant afford a real house you see), so when it's cold here - usually around minus five and below, I really feel it.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice