WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Chuck Palahniuk, Amy Hempel, and Minimalism

Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM
lewislewis (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 16
Default Chuck Palahniuk, Amy Hempel, and Minimalism

I recently discovered Amy Hempel and I must say I find the minimalist style, of which she is a master, extremely attractive. She says so much in a single sentence, it's incredible. She is Chuck Palahniuk's biggest influence, which is why I checked her out. Thoughts on this?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I love Amy Hempel. Stumbled across In the Cemetery... a while back on line and that hooked me. I got her collected short stories for Christmas last year. I'm not a Palahniuk fan -- and I guess I can't really see the influence.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 AM
Chef (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Chef

I've always loved Chuck Palahniuk's style, so I definitely want to check her stuff out. I've never gotten around to it, though. Chuck's style is interesting enough for me to explore every bit of inspiration he had.

And yes, I'll agree with you, minimalism when used right is extremely pleasing to the eye. When an author can hook you with a single sentence instead of a single page, I think that can qualify as true ability.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM
lewislewis (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 16

I like how minimalism slows you down, too. I usually read pretty fast but with minimalism I have to zoom in, take a breath and become more mindful of the language I'm absorbing.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library