WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

James Herbert books cheap on Kindle

Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190
Default James Herbert books cheap on Kindle

Not sure if people know this, so I just wanted to bring people's attention to the fact that it seems like some of James Herbert's books are cheap on Kindle. We're talking 0.48 - 0.99 cheap here.

James Herbert on Kindle

And yeah, you can download the kindle app for your pc. Don't need a tablet or anything.

As I've never tried his books before, I figure I'll give one of the cheapies a try after I've finished Midnight, by Dean Koontz. Any recommendations? (I can't really afford to spend anything more than the above figure sadly and the recommendations aren't for me, but everyone. ) I was thinking The Rats, with it being his first novel and the first in a series.

Edit: Shopping done. So, no recommendations needed on my part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-09-2013 at 04:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidGil For This Useful Post:
Loz (03-11-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Alanna Knight does something similar - her backlist is really cheap.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Over the years I've colleted most of Herbert's. I'm a huge, huge hopeless fan. Rats, Lair, and Domain are all good. The Magic Cottage is one of my favourites, so too is the Spear. But Moon has to be my all-time fangirl, go-nuts-over novel.

Herbert's got a very unique voice, with good gritty characterisation and tough tone. Simply one of the best.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

I lied about not going higher than 0.99. Well, not lied, but yeah... I was able to swindle a bit more cash. I ended up buying The Rats, Lair and The Dark. Came to 2.17 altogether, which wasn't bad.

I read the opening prologues of The Dark and The Rats. Seems a decent writer on a technical level at the very least. Can't comment on the actual stories yet, as I'm going to finish Midnight first, but the openings did seem interesting. Particularly the opening of The Dark.

Was tempting to buy Domain as well, but I can always pick that up another time.

Glad to hear he's got a tough tone too, with gritty characterisation. The unique voice will be good to take a look at too.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-09-2013 at 11:01 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 PM
maidahl

down w/ amazon
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Never!

and

Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM
maidahl

Repeat alert. #&37 under attack. Sense gives way to an order to find and shoot DavGil on sight.

Edit: Never mind. Bloke's poor. At least, that's what his signature indicates.

MURDER BACK ON. I NEED ME A CIGARETTE.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
Repeat alert. #&37 under attack. Sense gives way to an order to find and shoot DavGil on sight.

Edit: Never mind. Bloke's poor. At least, that's what his signature indicates.

MURDER BACK ON. I NEED ME A CIGARETTE.
*hides somewhere, hoping he's not found, and quivers*

It's that obvious I'm poor? But on a more serious note (sorry for being a party pooper/grumpster), without Kindle, I wouldn't be able to self-publish in an effort to better my situation.

I find Kindle really helpful too, because of the free books. I get a lot of free ones, plus I have a lot of the classics now that I can read when I want to. I probably wouldn't have picked the classics up otherwise.

(And back to a lighthearted note, I'm getting the impression you're one of the New People out of Dean Koontz's Midnight which I'm currently reading. 'One of the unconverted is here. Kill him before he ruins our plans!')

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-11-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM
maidahl

Ah, rich at heart, you are. Well, my treasures don't lie with Mass Market Paperback, or regression to an animal form. But heads up, he is littering my mind with sinful ideations. On a lighthearted note :Shame on me.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Why thankyou.

*continues to try and implant sinful ideas in Maidahl while attempting that famous jedi mind trick that so works*

You know that you yearn to join the dark side. Do it and join all us higher beings.

Seriously though,

The only real downside is that 5 or so is rather hefty for an ebook from publishers.

And Midnight's a good book. I assume you've read it with mentioning regression. I'm about 77% of the way through now.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-12-2013 at 01:40 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
maidahl

Yeah, yeah. I'm all for group affiliations and mono-policies. But I'm biased. Long story.

I have nothing positive or negative or neutral or anything at all to say about your stupid little book.

It's no sinful indulge-piece though. It's inspired by an episode of Doctor Who, isn't it!?

77% or pi? or pi over 1? Be exact, dear sir.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Maidahl,

I'm not sure I understand your stupid little book comment...

Have I done something to annoy you? If it was my joking around about the Kindle and such, then sorry. I can take things a bit far at times and/or ramble.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-13-2013 at 02:31 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 AM
maidahl

arg it's 3:34 LA time. Let bygones be bygones.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Sure, Maidahl.

No hard feelings. I'm just confused as to what I did wrong. I can only see my joking around as being the problem and I didn't think it would be taken badly. Or as me being pushy.

Anyway, I'll drop it. Like I said, no hard feelings.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-13-2013 at 02:47 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 AM
maidahl

yeah yeah poor guy. Like I said, poor you.

Anyway, [II'll drop it. Like I say, no hard feelings.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

...?

Maidahl,

You stated 'down /w amazon'.

I stated 'never! '

You then replied about shooting me. I naturally thought you were joking.

I then stated that I thought Amazon had some good points. It wasn't an attempt to brain wash you into my way of thinking. And when I made that comment about 'New People', I left a wink emote. Granted, I admit I could have done without the jedi thing, but I didn't think there'd be a problem with it.

So, what have I done wrong here? Have a viewpoint that isn't negative about Amazon? Inform people that they can get some cheap books? Say that I was reading another book? Attempt to have a conversation? Joke a bit, because I thought you were joking? Or is it about something not related to this thread?

Edit: The only other interaction we've had here is where you commented on a critique I gave to someone else. You didn't seem to have a problem with it. So, I really am confused here.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-13-2013 at 04:01 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 AM
maidahl

Arg. I like you just fine. Okay? There.

I was just kidding the whole time.

I don't really like you is what that meant.

[From: *****
Date: **/**/**

What would you do - negative Amazon review by competitor

Hi,
I created a program to help kids with a disability and have received wonderful reviews (on Amazon). In fact, in the many thousands of books I've sold, I have not received anything negative. Then a few years ago, a person who worked for a competitor wrote a negative review, however, she based it solely on the first few pages of the search inside feature. In other words, she did not use the program, and she was basically saying how my approach (which is used all over the world in other programs) does not work (when it has been proven to work). In her review, she does mention that she works for a competitor (and she goes on to say how their method is superior).
Fast forward to the present. Another negative review pops up. This time the initials of the author of the review, are the same initials as the competitor's business name. I'm thinking I'm getting paranoid, so I look into her (or his) OTHER past reviews, and they are strange. 18 in one day (which included mine), all of which are of a short nature such as, "I bought this as a gift and it looks good." One after the other. Until you get to mine.

What would you do if you..."]

I don't favor Amazon. Not really a monopoly if you really really think about it.

Okay. Just kidding earlier. I like you. Always have.

*blows kisses*

-Laura
Old 03-13-2013, 04:16 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Alright, sorry...

I thought you were joking up until the silly book comment... That threw me. I just wasn't sure as we haven't talked on here.

Again sorry. I now feel stupid. Instead of finishing The Rats off, I've been sat here trying to work out what I did wrong.

Edit: We can be stupid, can't we?

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 03-13-2013 at 11:27 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library