WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

i-Robot Book Vs. Film

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Subject2317 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default i-Robot Book Vs. Film

When the i-Robot film came out, I was aware that the story was based from the author Isaac Asimov's book, however I had never read it. I thought the film was great, lots of good action, special effects, interesting story... Then I came across a review saying it was nothing like the book and that the film industry took a lot of liberties. Well decided to find out for myself and wow is there a huge! difference. Other than the fact it has robots and a few names of the characters from the book it's nothing like Isaac Asimov's work, his is absolute genius with the robots and how they interpret the three laws. Never did these robots great the laws, however by their view of them expanded their intelligence and comparing it to the human's view point. Now I look at the film and shrug my shoulders. In itself, it's a good movie, but compared to the book it fails miserable.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Signature (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 32

I have not read the book but that is interesting. I think the movie is amazing, but the story does not seem like the strongest part.

I can imagine that a lot got lost. I think hardly any movie based on a novel gets the details right.
The Hunger Games is horrible in that respect, Harry Potter as well.
They might work as movies but once you read the books you see endless wasted potential.

The thought I want to contribute is that the time constraint must be the main reason.
I guess a 78000 word book does not nearly fit into a 150 minute movie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Synopsis:
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon14

I think I've read just about every novel Asimov wrote. I remember "I Robot" and knew, in the first few scenes, it was going to be a liberal version of the book. It wasn't that bad, just that the written story went a whole lot further.

I've read every single one of the following and highly recommend them to anyone who wants to write scifi - or any fiction for that matter.

"Greater Foundation" series

The Robot series was originally separate from the Foundation series. The Galactic Empire novels were published as independent stories, set earlier in the same future as Foundation. Later in life, Asimov synthesized the Robot series into a single coherent "history" that appeared in the extension of the Foundation series.
Main article: Isaac Asimov's Robot Series
Main article: Isaac Asimov's Galactic Empire Series
Main article: Foundation series

The history of the California missions

Life in the military and general ramblings
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

The movie was dross. The only relation it bears to the book is that there's a robot in it.

The book is a simple, glossy action movie. The book is an examination of humanity.
longknife (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Subject2317 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Signature View Post
The thought I want to contribute is that the time constraint must be the main reason.
I guess a 78000 word book does not nearly fit into a 150 minute movie.
They didn't have to copy it word-for-word, there is a main theme throughout the stories that are told. If they had focused on the robot, how it thought indepdently (as an i-Robot) and how it interprets the three laws of robots they could have had a good film. In fact, the robot (in the film) didn't act as "I" in any way, it was the scientist who told the robot what to do, which defeats the entire purpose. I think just about any writer or even reader of Isaac Asimov could have written a better script.
longknife (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Signature (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 32

Originally Posted by Subject2317 View Post
They didn't have to copy it word-for-word, there is a main theme throughout the stories that are told. If they had focused on the robot, how it thought indepdently (as an i-Robot) and how it interprets the three laws of robots they could have had a good film. In fact, the robot (in the film) didn't act as "I" in any way, it was the scientist who told the robot what to do, which defeats the entire purpose. I think just about any writer or even reader of Isaac Asimov could have written a better script.
I have seen many movies that are proud of their proper science and research. I am pretty sure the movie wouldn't have worked, if they had sacrificed any of the actually entertaining elements.

Twitter:

Synopsis:
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

The movie would have worked, but it would have been a totally different movie. No car chases, no big bangs...

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library