WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

GM food

Old 06-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883
Icon3 GM food

genetically modified food.
is it safe?
and most importantly are aware it is now in our food chain ?
please discuss.

you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 364

Haven't seen any evidence that it's not safe to eat.

Whether or not the cultivation or breading of GM foods affects the environment -- I don't know. That all seems a little suspect.

I think it's funny that all kinds of food companies have turned it around by labeling things "Non GMO," etc.

Like General Mills makes umpteen products using GM corn, but Cherios, made with oats, is labeled "Non GMO!"

Just like all the products that don't and have never contained wheat that are labeled "Gluten Free..."
Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

One of the base chemicals and most lethal during WW1 for the production of mustard gas was chlorine.

Isn't it a comfort to know that same chemical is used to treat our drinking water.

I wonder if it has any correlation to the genetic cell mutations that we classify as cancers.

Surely not...eh?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

We've got a whole house filter. It filters out chlorine and I figured while we were at it we'd get one the filters out fluoride -- but they were way too expensive and by most accounts only marginally effective.

Last edited by Myers; 06-07-2017 at 09:51 AM..
Old 06-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 864

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
We've got a whole house filter. It filters out chlorine and I figured while we were at it we'd get one the filters out fluoride -- but they were way too expensive and by most accounts only marginally effective.
Smart move. Most have no clue.

And to anyone else that reads this post and has doubts about the effects of chlorine there is a simple experiment you can do at home in your kitchen.
First, go to the store and buy a few test strips. The kind used in pools to check for chlorine content. They are paper and cheap.

Now pour yourself a glass of water and wait about a minute for the water to settle. Dip a strip in the water, take it out and watch it turn color indicating a high chlorine content.

Next, dip your finger in the glass and swirl the water several times and wait for it to settle. Then dip another strip in the water. There will be no color change because all the chlorine is immediately absorbed into your skin.

You drink this stuff, you cook with it, you shower in it, you wash your clothes in it, you water your lawn with it and on and on and on.

Get a water filter for your whole house just as Myers has done. It makes a big difference in your life. Your skin, hair, food, clothing will thank you for it and you will immediately notice a difference.

This message was brought to you by someone that really likes the taste of their coffee.
Myers (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:45 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by Myers View Post

I'm an expert in this sort of shit. Not sure how onboard I am with the whole removing fluoride as a necessity, but I have lots of customers we install such units for. I can get the units for $750 and have it shipped to Georgia for probably less than $100. You'd probably need to have it professionally installed unless you're handy and can solder copper.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I'm an expert in this sort of shit. Not sure how onboard I am with the whole removing fluoride as a necessity, but I have lots of customers we install such units for. I can get the units for $750 and have it shipped to Georgia for probably less than $100. You'd probably need to have it professionally installed unless you're handy and can solder copper.
Yeah -- fuck. You do the research the best you can. You go online and talk to vendors, and it's really hard to sort out who's bullshitting and who isn't.

I guess I thought I was safe going with someone who said he could sell me something that would filter out the fluoride, but it wasn't that effective. Because you figure -- well, he COULD sell it to me and make the money, if he's not recommending it, then he's probably telling the truth. Could have been any number of other reasons he didn't want to do it.

I got a new roof recently and it was all the same shit. You need to do this, or you don't need to do this etc. -- all with estimates that varied by thousands of dollars.

You ask your friends and neighbors for recommendations -- and unless there is some kind of disaster, they all say they're thrilled with the outcome and they got a good deal. Of course, that's what everyone needs to tell themselves.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Smart move. Most have no clue.
I wish I could take credit -- it was all the spousal unit.

Unless the water was like some kind of weird color or unusual viscosity, I probably wouldn't have done anything.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Guy on the radio today was sayin' when they map the pathways of white sugar reactions in the brain they resemble the ones used by morphine and ... don't remember the others.

If my luck holds this short term memory loss stuff should clear up just in time for adult onset Alzheimer's disease.
Myers (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

I'm aware that genetically modified foods are part of a lot of food we eat. I really don't care. I mean, okay, we might find out they are some secret plot to destroy our civilization and allow the 1% (the enlightened ones) to gain more control over the masses and reap even higher profits, but are they any worse than the two twinkies I had for breakfast or the rib-eye I have on the grill right now? Not to mention the several beers I'm going to drink before I go to bed tonight.

In the end we're all going to die and at some point we'll probably become unhealthy (or unhealthier) than we are now. We all have heard the stories of the grandma who smoked and drank for 75 years and died at 95 in her sleep, and the one about the healthnut who ate right and exercised religiously and dropped dead of a heart attack at 40.

It's like a crap shoot.

I do believe the human mind (how it's constructed at birth, and how we use it in life) plays a big part in how long we live. Otherwise, it's the slot machine of genes.

Did I get the good set of genes, or the ones that will fail me early? Dunno. I guess I'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

Did I get the good set of genes, or the ones that will fail me early?

[/QUOTE]

I've been using Levi's since 1962. Didn't really like it when they chose to go from a Talon zipper to YKK.

That being noted I have no failures to report at this date.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:38 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867
Default GM food

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
I've been using Levi's since 1962. Didn't really like it when they chose to go from a Talon zipper to YKK.

That being noted I have no failures to report at this date.

Zippers?

Button fly is the only way to go. Keeps you from zipping the pubes when underwear is too inconvenient to reach for.

Last edited by brianpatrick; 06-07-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Old 06-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

I have a pretty healthy diet, but it's a lot more about how it makes me feel now and keeping to my optimal weight than any big concern about my future health.

My wife is kind of obsessed with healthy eating, and sometimes I think the stress of it almost outweighs any potential health benefits.

My oldest emulates her mom and wants a healthy diet. My youngest has rebelled and likes junk food. They're both perfectly healthy.

Cancer is rampant on my wife's side of the family -- and they all have horrible diets and drink and smoke etc. I mean, we might go down to visit her relatives and you'll see a toddler eating powdered donuts and drinking Mountain Dew. So I know why she's paranoid and what she is reacting to.

Both my folks died young by today's standards, in their early 70's, but they have siblings who are in amazingly good health and going strong.

We had a vegan experiment, which was my wife's idea, of course. It didn't last long, but I'm glad we did it. I learned a lot about nutrition and we've really cut down on meat, which I think is good for your health and the environment.

I bought this bag of supposedly organic "healthy" beef jerky the other day. I ate the whole bag at once and THEN I looked at the nutritional information. Holy shit -- a whole days worth of fat and calories. But WTF? I sneak out to Arby's and Wendy's too from time to time. I don't think it's going to kill me.

Otherwise, who knows? Moderation in all thing is a pretty good guideline, I guess.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Zippers?

Button fly is the only way to go. Keeps you from zipping the pubes when underwear is to inconvenient to reach for.

In the jungle, button is the way to go.
The zip noise tells your playmates "Hey, I'm over here" and wrecks Hide and Seek strategy.
You really don't want to be "It".
Old 06-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

Oh and yeah -- sneaking fast food and junk food is absolutely a manifestation of my addictive behavior.

I always have to feel like I'm getting away with something -- and it's a whole lot better than going out and getting loaded.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

People in effect have been eating genetically modified food for almost a century. It might not have been to the degree it is now, or it might not meet your understanding of genetically modified, but ever since the "hybrid seed" revolution.....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:48 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
People in effect have been eating genetically modified food for almost a century. It might not have been to the degree it is now, or it might not meet your understanding of genetically modified, but ever since the "hybrid seed" revolution.....

Yeah. Humans have been genetically modifying food for centuries. Can they do it faster and more efficient today? Yep. Is it really any different than what we've always done? Nope.

BTW... we've done the same things with animals over the centuries.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 357

Yeah. Humans have been genetically modifying food for centuries. Can they do it faster and more efficient today? Yep. Is it really any different than what we've always done? Nope.

BTW... we've done the same things with animals over the centuries.
I'm going to take a chance here and put something out without thoroughly researching it, but my impression of GMO food is that it is done in two (or more but we're only going to focus on two, here) ways: a gene is introduced which enables the plant to survive heavier doses of insecticide or herbicide, or a gene is introduced which causes the plant to produce its own insecticide.

Either method seems to be unacceptable. I don't want more poisons being sprayed on my food; that shit absorbs into the plant and is then consumed by us. Anyone who says different is a liar.

And if the plant produces its own insecticide, we are consuming that, too. Have you ever read the precautions on a can of insecticide? That shit's deadly, man.

We are what we eat. Cliche as hell, but true. I kind of like food to be a positive thing, without question, and I like to feel good. I think the two are related, and our health is determined by more than just the presence of diagnosable diseases. When our bodies aren't functioning right, our minds know it, even if we don't consciously recognize the fact, and it affects our mental state. I had cancer long before I knew it; I didn't know what it was, but my mind knew something was wrong, and in the back of my mind it was a constant worry, so much so that when I was told I had cancer, I was relieved.

I don't want to be relieved again, so I try to stick with what I know, which is real food with pronounceable ingredients.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (06-18-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe