WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Where shall I go

Old 06-05-2017, 03:24 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 679
Default Where shall I go

So I haven't booked a holiday for the summer.

I have been away this year to Sri Lanka in January which I can't recommend enough. Great food, very affordable accommodation, unrivaled scenery, interesting mix of culture and religion, friendly locals and brilliant transport links which make getting around the island not only easy but an enjoyable experience in itself.

In fact the train rides from Colombo to Kandy, and Kandy to Ella were the best journeys of my life. Of course, it's hot and crowded, but I was totally enchanted by what I saw. I was reading Midnight's Children, 6 - 8 hours genuinely flew by.

I can't decide whether I want to just hop across to mainland Europe this summer or go somewhere a bit more imaginative. I'd be interested to know what your favourite holiday has been, hoping to be inspired.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:11 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 781

I'm going to recommend Iceland. My wife and I went about five years ago and it was fantastic. In the summer it's daytime almost 24 hours a day. We went to Reykjavik and took day trips from there. We did all the touristy stuff but there were hints of deeper adventures all around. The country is beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. Strangers invited us to their home for dinner and then took us out dancing and drinking. That doesn't happen in the US. At least not where I'm from.

The only warning I have is these people can party and drink. They work like dogs and go party all night. I don't know how they do it.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 262

I'm going to recommend Orlando, FL, U.S.A.

Disneyworld, Universal Resort, Sea World etc. -- so many amazing attractions all in one place.

Plus, I will pay you to go there if you take my kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 624

I think Alaska in June is Bear Season.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:06 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 781

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I think Alaska in June is Bear Season.

Okay Ted Nugent... go back to your cave.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

Been hunting a good number of times. Never saw the allure.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 348

Go see the Redwoods.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

That wouldn't take long. I mean, if you've seen one redwood, you've seen 'em all.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 348

OK, Reagan. I've been here fifty years and haven't seen them all. But you're right -- compared to when I was a kid, it wouldn't take long. The ones that are left are in parks, but they're still worth seeing (my avatar is the end of one).

Regarding the, "Seen one redwood, seen them all," quote, that was Ronald Reagan, when he was governor of California. When the freeway was run through Arcata, CA, a lone scrawny second-growth redwood was left by the offramp to Humboldt State University. It was quickly dubbed the Ronald Reagan Memorial Grove, by locals.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Prodigalson; 06-11-2017 at 11:09 PM..
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

That's what I meant.

You get out of your car, take a good look, and then you're done.

Last edited by Myers; 06-11-2017 at 11:22 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 781

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
That's what I meant.

You get out of your car, take a good look, and then you're done.

Naw, you gotta set up a tent, string your hammock, spark a fatty and spend some time thinking about how small and insignificant you really are.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
...and spend some time thinking about how small and insignificant you really are.
I could do that anywhere.

Last edited by Myers; 06-12-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 781

Yeah, but not in the same way.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 348

Then the redwoods would really impress you.

Seriously, though,

Life is like a drive through the redwoods. You can get on the freeway and go like gangbusters, slowing down only for wrecks or washouts; or you can take the scenic route: the old, narrow, two-lane Highway 101 that wanders through the groves and the little towns within. The freeway quickly gets you to where you’re going, but you can’t really appreciate the redwoods from four lanes of asphalt at seventy miles per hour. If you want to see the forest, to walk in the silence and swim in the rivers, you have to take the scenic road, and while you’re there, you might as well sit down and think about where you are, and how you got there. Seems like everyone should do that from time to time...

...and if you take a minute to do more than just go, "Yup -- that's a mighty big tree..." you'll find that there's a peace and solitude to be found in the redwoods that can't be found anywhere else. You have to get off the beaten track to find it, but once you do, it stays with you. It's why I keep coming back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Myers (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

I'll see them someday. At some point, we're going to hit the road, meander our way out west and then up the coast.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing the redwoods -- along with world's largest ball of twine, the ND Corn Palace and of course, the Area 51 Alien Museum.

BTW, do they have a snack bar and/or a gift shop or any rides at the redwoods? Can you get your picture taken with Reddy the Redwood Tree mascot?

Last edited by Myers; 06-13-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 348

No rides, unless you call the highway up here one. It's twisty and turny enough to qualify, I guess, especially if you take 36 or 96 (like rollercoasters with log trucks, drunken Indians and crazy pot growers). A few snack bars and gift shops, selling burl tables and chain-saw carvings of salmon, bears, and eagles, but you have to get away from that touristy shit to experience the redwoods. It's a subtle thing, but well worth it.

(I'm told now that there is a gondola ride at Trees of Mystery.)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:16 PM
pompears (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Try visiting Southeast Asian countries, most places are cheap, the travel logistics are easy, safety is rarely an issue, and the region is blessed with a wonderful tropical climate.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:27 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 679

Thanks for all the suggestions. I gotta book somewhere fairly soon so will ruminate over these and others.

Just out of interest -- anyone been to Israel?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 AM
CandraH

I've only been outside the UK once, on a school trip to Switzerland which was nice but kind of like staying at home lol, so I cant really advise re exciting places to go.

I will say my wee Scotland is lovely, especially in the north. Old castles, older villages and even older mountains you can still see the marks of the last ice age on. The government have set up a driving route round the north called the North Coast 500 or something, thats great if you want to hire a car and just go travelling around. The north coast has some stunning coastal scenery and a cool old cave at Durness that the Vikings used for smuggling, called Smoo Cave (apparently rooted in their word for smuggler, smugga, smoo, or something like that). Just don't visit in June. Its turning out to be the shittiest of the summer months. Non-stop rain and cold winds and midges galore. Probably best to come in May, late July or August for the best weather. The rest of the year is miserable, and I'm not joking.

If I wasnt disabled and had loads of money, I'd love to visit Iceland for sure. See the midnight sun and the volcanoes. And maybe somewhere warm for a change, where they actually have a summer lol.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 679

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
I've only been outside the UK once, on a school trip to Switzerland which was nice but kind of like staying at home lol, so I cant really advise re exciting places to go.

I will say my wee Scotland is lovely, especially in the north. Old castles, older villages and even older mountains you can still see the marks of the last ice age on. The government have set up a driving route round the north called the North Coast 500 or something, thats great if you want to hire a car and just go travelling around. The north coast has some stunning coastal scenery and a cool old cave at Durness that the Vikings used for smuggling, called Smoo Cave (apparently rooted in their word for smuggler, smugga, smoo, or something like that). Just don't visit in June. Its turning out to be the shittiest of the summer months. Non-stop rain and cold winds and midges galore. Probably best to come in May, late July or August for the best weather. The rest of the year is miserable, and I'm not joking.

If I wasnt disabled and had loads of money, I'd love to visit Iceland for sure. See the midnight sun and the volcanoes. And maybe somewhere warm for a change, where they actually have a summer lol.
I've seen Iceland deals which are really affordable.

Ah OK, I was thinking maybe a Shmoo -- a cartoon character which sort of skips around in a fog of dumb happiness hoping to be eaten haha. I heard it referenced in a philosophical essay once, it equated the Shmoo to the idea of people whose purpose is to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

I've been to Scotland twice. Once when I was a kid and the only thing I remember was sucking helium out of a balloon, hyperventilating and collapsing. I woke up surrounded by concerned locals.

The second time I went to Edinburgh with my older brother after he split with his girlfriend. He went on a major downer and aquatinted himself with way too many whiskeys. I had a brilliant time, I remember never partying like that on a Sunday. But the French were in town for rugby so was pretty lively. I remember seeing a band playing psychedelic rock -- mainly covers but really spot on. And it has got this seriously cool Gothic City thing going on... loved it.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:03 PM
CandraH

Haha oh yeah, the shmoo. I was introduced to it in a movie, Lucky Number Slevin so a bit less illustrious lol.

Edinburgh is a cool city for sure, I'm glad your experiences of it were typical. Party capital of the world and all that, especially at New Year Mind you, coming from Glasgow, I'm kind of biased against Edinburgh because silly city rivalries lol. But Edinburgh is definitely the pretty one in the group. I've only been a couple of times and would love to visit the castle some day, do all the tourist shit too. I did get to the national gallery/museum though, and saw a couple of John Knox landscape paintings in person. That was spectacular.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 624

Scotland sounds beautiful, and I'd like to walk along Hadrian's Wall

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:52 PM
iDrew (Offline)
Official Member

Location: Throwing wishes off the end of world's longest pier
Thanks 438

Canvey Island.

Sluts and weed on tap. You can go for a nice swim in the muddy Thames Estuary. See the Dutch house (how can you possibly contain your excitement?). Watch the container ships make their way to Tilbury.

No need to thank me, just book yer caravan today.

xDrew

the CLUELESS COLLECTIVE’S
ALL NEW 19 OUT NOW
(min. system requirement: 1 working brain cell)
Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 781

Originally Posted by iDrew View Post
Canvey Island.

Sluts and weed on tap. You can go for a nice swim in the muddy Thames Estuary. See the Dutch house (how can you possibly contain your excitement?). Watch the container ships make their way to Tilbury.

No need to thank me, just book yer caravan today.

xDrew

Sluts and weed?

Count me in!!

Although, the wife may balk at the idea.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

Sluts and weed. I no longer partake in either -- but yeah, those were the days...
Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 348

At seventeen, stoned on Lebanese black hash, I married a twenty-three year old slut. Does that count?

Well, maybe not a slut. She was a big-titted hippie chick, into free love and all that, so I guess now days that'd make her a slut.

Back then it just made her attractive.

That and the hash.

And the peyote I was on at the time.

And raging sixteen year old hormones, looking through a diaphanous summer dress at, yeah -- see above.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Myers (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

Ha ha.

20 years old and seriously on drugs -- I subconsciously chose someone based on this criteria --

I wanted a using partner AND someone who was even more messed up than I was so I could feel better about myself and pretend I was the protector.

Needless to say it all ended badly.

Drugs and women -- they don't mix!
Old 07-08-2017, 02:16 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 781

Heh!

My wife pulled me from the muck and sliced that chunk of my life off like a patch of skin cancer.

I hardly knew what was going on but suddenly I was looking for meaningful employment and shopping for new couches.

Still not sure what she saw in me, but it must have been worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Mohican (07-12-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:25 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 262

I'd just got clean and was starting to get my act together when I met my wife.

She was a fairly naive at the time and didn't really understand the risks -- but even so, if she'd met me a few months earlier, she would have run away.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 624

To da U.P., eh? It's Superior....

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe