WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

oh how I hate editing posts, so share with me then

Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

and then the goblin suddenly noticed whole hoards of barbarian bankers at the gates of the western empire, so was the world about to witness the sack of wall street then with another dark age to follow, the goblin wondered but his imagination stopped in its tracks even if the parallels to the fall of rome grew in his mind like storm clouds in an ominous sky, "...ours is to witness..." the goblin slowly repeated to the now silent slot, it was as if the liver of the moneygod had been divined and its omens were not good, "...ours is to witness then..." he just repeated again to himself

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-02-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...in a way you have your own journey to self in front of you any time you open a slot like this..." ventured the goblin, adding "...just think of what you could post if you kept at it day after day, ah but not for just a few months now, no, for years on end I mean, and all that while continually storing and polishing those posts that you felt to be your best, wouldn't you then know who you are by what you posted, and have a real treasure in hand too...." ventured the goblin, who used random threads in this way then, that is, while all along, the goblin welcomed those other members who came and went but the truth was that they didn't know who the goblin was, any more than he knew who they were either, "...ah, it always remains this masked ball here then..." concluded the goblin trying to get the most out of it, and wishing well, and continuing while he still could

Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...abracadabra..." went the goblin calling to somewhere within to show the way, well it was often like this, that something that the goblin had thought of in the day, perhaps just a line, would grow into a post of its own if he just looked at the slot long enough, no nothing planned, more as if a magician had just popped his hand into the hat and pulled out a rabbit making his audience wonder in surprise, ah, but only the magician knew the truth, of what the rabbit was really saying to him then, as it smiled "...ok goblin, I know I'm the wrong rabbit here, not meant for this thread at all, but mum's the word between us, promise..."

Old 05-02-2011, 01:05 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...good morning, I'm not so sure..." said the goblin pushing reality away a bit longer, for the sandman had taken him for a wonderful ride last night through his land of nodd, and now this square boxlike room in the stark morning light felt like some prison cell born of sobriety, "...so where are my dreams at my age..." sighed the goblin feeling robbed of youth at the sandman's kindness

6 63 419

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-02-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...who knows..." said the goblin, so this was the livewriter's paradox then, that the goblin needed members to please to write well but taken to an extreme the goblin would compromise himself by pleasing too much those same members he was trying to please anyway

Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere, the "self-introductions" thread,

"...thank you dear humans, but I feel that in the welcome to fleamailman we are missing a certain "je ne sais pas" here, and perhaps such terms like "wonderful" "amazing" "awesome" "stupendous" and "spectacular" might be loosely sprinkled together with other words like "magnificent" "fabulous" "incredible" "brilliant" etc to make a more welcoming welcome here..." he paused adding a proviso saying "...however if you feel that there are too many superlatives at this point, one could, at a pinch, omit one or two of them and still find that the text is little diminished in the truth it so clearly professes..." uttered the goblin somewhat humbly he felt

7 65 426
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

morning's rush hour and the man in the mirror, somehow guessing the goblin's mood now, starts singing: "...crappy workday to you, crappy workday to you, crappy workday dear moron, crappy workday to you...", whereupon the goblin then imagined he could hear a whole chorus of the same song coming from the felloaw passengers on the bus, and the goblin was probably right too, just that the mute switch was turned on it seemed

6 66 445

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-03-2011 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
El D. (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 26

Ah now perhaps was the time to realize further - a curious anomaly was the mind of the goblin - thinking in the quandrum of self and world. I was forced to ponder the motive and source, but no matter perhaps. What could describe the abruptness of presence on a trivial matter, as it were, the last post as a game to win?

So then a realization - two paths to take - that which to refining an art subjected to the whims of each subjective mind's economic bias to the notorious moneygod, or that which could lead somewhere else, somewhere more vague, to me it seemed, but tipping the scale in a way. Or maybe it was somewhere in both of them. "If it's really your passion, don't make it your job." Ah then I ask again, and see that my work is right and wrong in that it is in my questioning's lack of answers, but what would I write if it weren't?

Man I want to burn my posts sometimes. I don't know if I could ever do what you do.

Last edited by El D.; 05-03-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Old 05-04-2011, 12:46 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

"...and thus it starts..." replied the goblin, liking the post, adding "...though there's never any need to burn one's posts, they are what one builds up in their reposting each time, one looks back and thinks, "that didn't work" or "that's not what I meant" and then reposts the rewritten post elsewhere on forumland, until finally once has something true to oneself, a reflection of self then, or at least something to still go on perhaps...", and then the goblin turned to the other point, that divergence of oneself from one's dailylife, explaining "...true, that is probably the biggest shift within oneself, the fact that those externals lose their luster, simply they were never yours to begin with, just that at a certain age one enjoys their use or hungers without them, but they don't equate to oneself, besides old age simply plucks them away leaving one looking at oneself again, pity to only discover oneself in one's old age, but fools have to learn the hard way I suppose, not us now...", and with that, the goblin too, knew that here was another post on his journey that needed editing

Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

perhaps the goblin was mad after all, and yet, in dailylife he hid it well, saying "...you see, most people are mad where their lives are just as mad too, so it simply balances out under the reinforcement of good old habit and convention...", and with that the goblin hoped that everyone would adjust their madness accordingly seeing that whatever sanity they sought from this dailylife was probably another trick of the system to have one become more like everyone else now, adding "...ah yes, you would be right to laugh at their assumptions towards sanity and madness, but you'll have to learn to hide your laughter better now, for dailylife is madness and they're all mad perhaps, but caring, about whether one is mad that is, will only make it such, so embrace your own values silently and slip under their radar to freedom..."

Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

the goblin is now vaguely watching his son try out his new game on his playstation called "doommagi" where the box, written in german and as far as the goblin could make out, reads: "a realtime action packed game here, where you get to chose between one of three heroic wise men balthasar, gaspar, and melchior where, while trying to keep up with the traversing star, you relentlessly battle your way through those throngs of head-counting minions of the evil herrod on to bethlehem, collecting gold, frankincense and myrrh, only stopping to trade at the taverns for lifepoints, weapon/armour upgrades, and camel speedups", to which, the goblin admitted that, perhaps, he might actually be reading the explanation on the back to the box slightly wrong then

7 70 495
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

the goblin knew that one can't actually be someone who one is not, saying "...ok that's true enough I know, but at the same time one shouldn't be that cheap dailylife person either, so perhaps it's like reaching out and seeing if one can create ones internetself here, which admittedly is still oneself, yes, but not some madame bovary self of ones dailylife each time...", simply the goblin would ever be anonymous

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-05-2011 at 01:35 AM..
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere, the ghost of divorce

day turns to night, the droning darkness hides shapes and shadows of things past feels the goblin as he looks out across the lightly lit city of geneva, "...cold is king then..." he thinks aloud to himself alone with his thoughts "...and in the cold of night comes these ghosts, god I hate them as much as they must hate me too, they won't die till I do, I know that, and my mother's passing brings them back from where I thought I buried them inside..." the goblin's mind went back to his first marriage then, of letting go a little girl's hand and saying "...mummy and daddy are not happy..." and then the formalities of separate lives of an ex wife and a daughter of his first marriage at an ever acceptable distance, and each with new lives and partners, each understanding that "it was the only way", "the right thing to do", "one can't live a lie can one", etc.," but the goblin also knew that no amount of understanding puts this ghost to rest, "...time hadn't then..." and he was struggling to say what he saw now "...so a death in the family puts family members back facing one another again..." said the goblin "...just our unspoken ghost will be sitting between us three I imagine, while we pretend to be nice to one another..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-05-2011 at 01:20 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...one is always swimming in dailylife, so the only question is whether one can keep ones head above water, well long enough to avoid being brainwashed into thinking that your dailylife is everything now, and thus drowning outright..." ventured the goblin, adding "...simply here one faces the slot, it doesn't need to be any particular thread then, just as long as one knows, that it is this journey to self, the one that one is writing out of oneself each time one posts, that keeps one afloat..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-05-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...my children are dead, long live these adolescents..." joked the goblin not really laughing as he loved them no less now too, only that he seemed to live his life in shocks of realization as if catching up with the present day reality, that yet again something had gone from his life, and that their ghosts now called to be buried amongst the other chapters with some passing words, "...children, this clown will always be your clown and he'll remember you in his jests, I promise..." the goblin voiced, the muse looked on with approval, she liked it when the goblin was honest with himself, then he flung a handful of earth over her too, the children burst out laughing "...oh daddy, you never grow up do you..." well they would have said as much if they hadn't grown up on him like this

8 74 516

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-08-2011 at 10:45 AM..
Old 05-06-2011, 01:44 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...whenever you hit the "post" button you are in fact alone here, that is since the forum only deals with one modification, or new post, at a time regardless of who, or how many, other members might be looking on, so if you know you are alone on the forum when you actually post, does it really matter then if the site has one other, or a thousand other members looking on..." said the goblin knowing that the best sites are those that have gone through a "Winter of doubt" where those few remaining members are solid like rooted trees

8 75 534

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-06-2011 at 01:53 AM..
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

the goblin's muse, the goblin ventured, was a daughter of a lesser god perhaps, but he loved her no less for it, if anything he loved her more for it, "...my muse is madness, her gifts are more infinite and her adventures unguessable..." explained the goblin who had seen her so often touch his sane and mundane world with her magic depth

Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere, the "last post" thread again

and then the rightful goblin showed up thanking the humans for looking after his thread, "...you did wonderfully I feel, you all merit being promoted up a rank..." said the goblin thinking upon those words of groucho marx now, being "perhaps I should actually worry about any forum that accepts me amongst its ranks"

7 77 560

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-06-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

the goblin had learned to see his glass as "half full" but even so, he still needed a well brewed sweet coffee in it, saying "...for without coffee, even if my glass were "full to the brim" it still wouldn't give any reflection upon it..." he paused for a sip, adding "...and what is a life without reflection then, surely people who don't reflect are like vampires now, ever dependent on the blood of others to sustain themselves here, but that's not me for I know that deep in my bones, want to produce my own blood here...", the goblin paused for his coffee again, adding "...well, that's if posts really are the lifeblood of a forum as they say, thus perhaps proving ones reflection by them too, but who know, I mean who can tell what others think anyway..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-06-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere, the woman's interest "last post" thread

the music fades out, meanwhile anne robinson, mean as ever, plays grim reaper hurling insults across the deck till that ever final shout of "...so now it's time to vote off the weakest link...", where the man in the background cuts in reminding viewers of the score, saying "...well, with absolutely no wrong answers the strongest link has to be the goblin, while, with no right answers at all, the weakest link are motley mums brigade of this forum, ah but will the voting reflect this..." the contenders then slowly raze their large cards with the name of their target, reading "flea,flea,flea,flea,flea,flea,flea,flea,sarah palin,flea,flea,flea", so the goblin does the walk of shame here, but once given the mic, says "...well, I am not quite sure about this democracy thing, I mean any chance of a recount here..."

9 79 581

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-06-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

"...do you think I talk to myself slot...", "...no goblin you've got the muse and me to talk to, but mind you what with innerman lamenting the superficiality of outerman, and outerman craving "this, that, and the next thing", the wonder is not if you do actually talk to yourself, it's more how you can ever get a word in edgeways...", "...hello you two..." said the muse who popped in from the back room "..I heard that, is that you goblin worrying about whether you talk to yourself then...", "...um, well I, um...""...yep, he sure is, muse...", the slot had noticed the goblin was seated looking down at his shoes woefully, the muse put her hands down on his shoulders from behind him "...there there goblin I am sure you're not talking to yourself, any schizophrenic will tell you that much...", the man in the mirror found the whole image rather appealing as the goblin lifted his hand to his shoulder placing it on hers saying "...thanks muse but..., ...", "...goblin..." she moved around the chair to look at him clearly, then, placing a lone finger on his lips as only a woman could do, spoke softly "...anyone can post but only mad people make interesting posters, leave sanity for shallow people, we're different...", "...that's better Your Madnessty..." joked the slot as the goblin then started typing his hapless posts once more

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-07-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

the goblin remembered the film scene in "one flew over the cuckoo's nest", where the big native american is simply telling randle about his father, saying "you see, my father thought he was drinking from the bottle where in fact it was the bottle that was drinking from him", and with that the goblin wondered too, whether he was feeding the slot here, or whether the slot was feeding upon him now

4 81 605

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-08-2011 at 03:15 AM..
Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,071

A "ritual of rising night". What a beautiful expression Mr Goblin. I confess, I am often vexed by your posts, but this one had a lyrical beauty, a sentiment that struck a chord, a scene that I am all too familiar with. I envy you the sophistication of a Bistro. My people-watching takes place in a cafe. (A horrible cafe. Sauce bottles and coffee cup rings on the table. Eurgh!)
Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,071

I've just discovered my response does not appear under the repost it related to....bugger.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:18 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

("...not to worry, I know well the post you mean now..." replied the goblin, always welcoming anyone who addressed him, saying "...I will reply more in a moment, promise...")
Old 05-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

I love that one!

The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,071

I am looking at you in a different light Mr Goblin.
An initial casual glance into your world made me think this was not a train of thought that I could board. I now find myself in the First Class Diners' carriage ordering the salmon.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

("...ah no, I'm just your average everyday type of goblin now, where no doubt you'll soon get fed up with my stuff..." mentioned the goblin who just needed somewhere to edit his posts, adding "...anyway, it's nice to be here, and I hope you'll share this thread with me wherever it goes, I have a long journey ahead where it's always nicer to edit stuff with others...")

repost from elsewhere

the goblin too, felt he now had to put a little bit more into his posts, perhaps the goblin would do a few more depictions then, somehow he was not seeing what he saw for what it meant, saying "...depictions force one to describe it, which in turn forces one to look at it more closely...", the muse was watching, her trick was either to give the idea to the goblin outright, or to jump in half way through his text and change everything to her liking, which admittedly was normally mad enough to have the goblin running behind her to trying to keep up with the beauty of it, simply, she was like one's granny doing a poll dance, where one doesn't want to actually look, nor miss it for the world

Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

repost from elsewhere

at this point the goblin's mother, who he had not seen since he had returned to geneva almost a year ago now, was well enough, placed and tilted back in some armchair come wheelchair unable to sit up, nor anything much by herself that is, but in no clear discomfort that the goblin could make out, and the conversation was one way, the goblin would ask something, his mother would smile and deflect, "...what are you thinking now then..." the goblin asked rubbing her right hand between his, "...I don't know...", and pointing to the windowsill flowers "...which is is you favorite color then...", "...I can't say, I don't remember...", still rubbing "...you're getting better...", "...am I, good...", then dad would bring the freshly squeezed orange juice and a neatly cut pear to her and she would first sip through the beaker spout before vaguely picking up a little segment of pear and slowly munch, and then, about half an hour later, the visit to the ward would be over and the goblin would be telling dad about how it could all be so much worse couldn't it, which they both knew was true, and that the goblin was "there when needed", was family, etc., while hiding what he really understood here, that, although the goblin's life was not on hold elsewhere, neither was it quite his alone then, somehow the goblin seemed to remember a boss who had befriended him once who had confided the following sentiment "actually I don't feel like I am above anyone, I just feel like so many people depend on me" and with that the goblin somehow understood what he meant now

Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 AM
candid petunia

This was the craziest thing ever, mused the damsel. But finding him not where she usually found the goblin, she grew worried and looked him up. And found him here (And a lot of everywhere else). She had a lot of questions, but she couldn't ask him, not now, not here. She was just glad she'd found him. She'd talk later. Until then, she wished the goblin well.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe