WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Fellow writers; your attention please.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Redlorry

People sensitive eyes will find a book kinder to thier optics than an e-reader. Fact!

In related news, check out the classifieds as you can now by my e-story for the bargain price of $0.99!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Lin

Actually less fact than you might think. There are different kinds of screens, such as liquid ink. Some can be dialed brighter of softer. And, of course, font size can be increased.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

So true lin!

Sentiment doesnt beat out easy, and well practical in a utilitarian society.

Sheesh we pay more for baseball then fine art round here lol
Old 08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

I don't think printed books will die out. I think e-books will become more and more popular, though. And I don't think this recession, or the issues with making profit is what will make new talent harder to find.

New talent has been hard to find for a long time because it's a marketer's game. If you can pitch your book to a publisher in a paragraph, if you know your niche and are willing to go out there and sellsellsell, you're in, whether you're the next Shakespeare, or another waste of perfectly good paper. In my experience, writers aren't in it for the money but for the stories, hence, they put together amazing tales, but can't put into words WHY it's amazing, or why someone should publish it. Unfortunately, it takes time (and money) which people don't have to give a piece of work the attention and judgment it deserves - without the cliffs notes.

And these days everyone and his president thinks they can write, so of course publishing houses are swamped and will be even less receptive to new talent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
paulie43 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Call me old fashioned if you must, but I would rather receive a proper book as a present than an e-book. How would one wrap an e-book anyway?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM
rostaria (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 3

I found it interesting personally it doesnt scare me really. I buy enough books for everyone I live with.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Tekakwitha (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 15

Originally Posted by artemisvale View Post
Although I am comfortably accustomed to reading the trusty paperback, I think the answer to the publishing houses woes are to do what the music industry has done and make books accessable online. E-books, as repugnant as they might be to some, are a way to ensure an authors work is available to all. Do any of you read E-books???
Yes, I read e-books. The free books that are available in the public domain.

I't may be a while before authors are willing to transfer or publish completed works as e-books. I don't think readers will care for it either.

Consider this:

1) My butt gets sore sitting at a computer for a long time, so reading would not be very comfortable way to read a decent story. I'd take too many breaks and possibly lose interest.

2) I cannot afford a Kindle hand held device so reading lounging in a chair will not happen.

3) A laptop would be nice, but that costs as much as a Kindle device.

4) Somehow the thought of losing the ability to hold a solid book in my hand while reading disturbs me. It's almost as if holding that book is a part of reading at times. Think about it, you go somewhere and curl up with a good book, right? So now what? Curl up with your Kindle? Take your kindle to the beach, picnic, park? I don't think so.

5) You always need electricity with e-books (unless you have a laptop with a fully charged battery). I still prefer the candle and hard covered book.

6) If we are ever blasted with an EMP wave all electronic books are lost. Back to square one.

I do listen to full lenght novels on-line. This I like very much when I'm too tired to do anything. I also listen to free books online at Librivox. Nice website.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM
999raffica (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I can't tell you how many eBooks I've tried to read on my PC and just given up. I'd rather pay $15 for a paperback than read an eBook for free. On my desktop, anyway.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Domenic

cc

Last edited by Domenic; 03-16-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
People sensitive eyes will find a book kinder to thier optics than an e-reader. Fact!

In related news, check out the classifieds as you can now by my e-story for the bargain price of $0.99!

No you didn't!!! You came over here on my two year old post while I was out of town on a business trip to Vegas to shamelessly promote your book sales!

Just how low can you get? I demand a cut of the massive profits you have gained from having done so. That, or I will report you to the forum authoities. No exceptions.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Redlorry

Hey, Thread-necromancer, my post was dated back in August. If you just saw it now that is your problem.

You want a cut you should have negociated at the time, not 6 months later
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Necromancer? Don't get fresh with me. Just pay up for your insolence!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Redlorry

Just PM me your invoice!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

I downloaded the Kindle App for my Android phone. It's good, and although I'd rather read a paperback, it's useful. I only downloaded the free 200 or more year old classics like Shakespeare and Dickens though, because I'm aware that, in the music industry, artists get less from downloaded songs than they do from selling their CDs. But Shakespeare and Dickens are long dead and don't get paid for it anyway.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
CandraH

I'm braindead and about to log off so excuse the stupid question, if it is one...

Can you get audio on Kindle or is it text only?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Redlorry

I think it's only text unless there is a new generation. I did see an ad somewhere on the net saying 'Don't read the book, hear the book' or something like that.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Lin

Kindle is text. There are lots of audiobook sites. All it really takes is an mp3 file
Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Domenic

cc

Last edited by Domenic; 03-16-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Lin

So you'd rather not be published than get publishing anywhere other New York?
Odd.

The problem with books isn't trees.
It's chemicals and gasoline.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
I think it's only text unless there is a new generation. I did see an ad somewhere on the net saying 'Don't read the book, hear the book' or something like that.
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Kindle is text. There are lots of audiobook sites. All it really takes is an mp3 file
Thanks, Lin, Lorry. Be pretty cool if Kindle had audio too, bring all those nifty reading experience gadgets together in one place.

Yeah, my mum downloads a lot from Audible and listens on an mp3 player. Good technology for people who struggle to read text but I hear a lot of audiobooks are abridged which kind of defeats the purpose in my opnion. Who knows whats been missed out of the story?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Kindle does have audio. It's only certain books that support it, though -- the newer ones. I've listened to one or two on mine. It's a heck of a reader.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 AM
KarlR (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 8

Video did not kill the radio star. Just knocked them from their lofty perch. This is just an ongoing segment of market fragmentation. The automobile DID replace the horse--only because it was an undeniably superior mode of transport. I expect that one day something will come along to extinct the book. Don't think we're there yet....
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Kindle does have audio. It's only certain books that support it, though -- the newer ones. I've listened to one or two on mine. It's a heck of a reader.
Thanks, Daedalus. I went over to Amazon for a look and they do have a text to speech recognition thing. Not sure if thats what you're talking about but it's nifty enough in its own right.

I'm guessing there arent a lot of audiobooks on it yet because of the space they take up and the time they take to download. But it definitely looks like Kindle could be a good investment for both text and audio reading enjoyment in the future, if they develop the technology and make more titles available.

Makes me wonder what the huge deal is about print books being killed by its appearance on the market. is it just the difference in cost between print books and electronic versions, or is there some sneaky clandestine plot going on that I'm missing...? Because, like others have said, it's just a different option for getting books read by the public, isn't it?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Lin

Text to speech is pretty questionable for novel length.
Unless it's a novel about talking robots.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Haha, Lin, you have such a great way of saying smart ass things.

I was thinking kind of the same thing, though. If it's technology that is helping the computer to say the words, won't it sound like a computer saying things? You know, like when you call the 800 number, and the phone asks you a million annoying questions before you can talk to someone? And it sounds like - well - a robot...

That's waaaay different than an audio book. With those, a real person is recorded reading the book. So, it has the proper inflections, and pronunciations and such.

The former would not be fun to listen to, if you ask me, where the latter is fun to listen to, if you have a reason to seek them out.

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM
CandraH

Yep, like having Stephen Hawking read you a story. I've heard my mum's text to speech contraption and it sounds pretty weird. She admits it took her a while to get used to it, and she doesn't use it for fiction. But when you're in her position and you don't have much choice, you get used to the robot voice pretty fast. She says she's now so used to audio assimilation that she thinks about information in terms of sound rather than visualising words in her head, and that she finds this easier. I thought that was interesting, that a person can change their preferred method of information absorption. I wonder which one stays in the mind longest, visual or audio?

If it's technology that is helping the computer to say the words, won't it sound like a computer saying things? You know, like when you call the 800 number, and the phone asks you a million annoying questions before you can talk to someone? And it sounds like - well - a robot...

That's waaaay different than an audio book. With those, a real person is recorded reading the book. So, it has the proper inflections, and pronunciations and such.
Gwyndolin, it looks like you're assuming people are getting mixed up between audiobooks (stories told by real people) and text to speech (a robot voice recognising words and reading them out). I know the difference and personally I'd prefer a real person reading my stories to me, but I'm also aware of the need for text to speech technology for people who cant read so for me it's a no-brainer. Kindle's text to speech option is a nifty bit of technology and I hope they develop it further. But I'd also like to see them develop audiobook technology for fiction because it's much more enjoyable to hear a real voice telling you the story.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Redlorry

In the UK text to speech is mainly used as computer software to help the blind and visually impaired at the moment. It's robotic sound and inability to add inflection and feeling makes it a somewhat poor option if you don't have to use it... I'd rather read myself.

Audio books however are fantastic. Stephen Fry narrated the whole Harry Potter series and it is a joy to listen to - I read them myself, but a a dyslexic friend bought the CDs.

I also let my children listen to audio books as they fall asleep after we've read a book.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Domenic

cc

Last edited by Domenic; 03-16-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
Gwyndolin, it looks like you're assuming people are getting mixed up between audiobooks (stories told by real people) and text to speech (a robot voice recognising words and reading them out). I know the difference and personally I'd prefer a real person reading my stories to me, but I'm also aware of the need for text to speech technology for people who cant read so for me it's a no-brainer. Kindle's text to speech option is a nifty bit of technology and I hope they develop it further. But I'd also like to see them develop audiobook technology for fiction because it's much more enjoyable to hear a real voice telling you the story.

Yeah, I thought it was getting mixed up, but I was wrong.

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 AM
CandraH

No worries. I just figured I should make things clear from my point of view. I don't know. Maybe others did get mixed up because, while there's mention of Kindle's text to speech option in its Amazon blurb, there's nothing there about audiobooks.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board