WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Help With a Title

Old 06-17-2017, 08:49 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 88
Default Help With a Title

Now that the rights to my Father Serra’s Legacy has returned to me, I am going to republish them on Amazon.com.

I’ve already decided on a new title for Book One, changing from The Carpenter and the Sailor to The Englishman and The Majican (Indian?)

So, it’s now time to look at a new title for Book Two, The King’s Highway.

It is actually about exploring and laying out the route to be known as The King’s Highway. Exploration plays the biggest past of it.

Laying Out The King’s Highway is closer to describing the novel but Laying Out doesn’t feel right to me. So, how about Establishing The King’s Highway? Or Mapping Out The King’s Highway?

Here’s the long book description dreamed up by my previous publisher:

Timothy Beadle and Jaime the Cahita followed their beloved Father President Serra through the wastelands of Baja California. At his behest, they join Governor Portolá and Father Crespí north to explore the unknown lands of Upper California. Led by the stalwart Sergeant Ortega, the band encounters many obstacles but finally reach the place where Mission San Francisco de Asís will someday stand. Over the next 15 years, they toil to help Father President Serra establish nine missions and watch as the governors establish three military garrisons designed to hold back possible intrusion by Russian fur traders. They settle in the Carmel Valley and raise families while still doing everything possible to reach Father President Serra's goal of bringing The Word of God to the Native Americans he and his brother friars look upon as their children. All too soon the frail and ever-suffering Father President Serra passes. Disciples, neophytes, and soldiers come from all over California to pass before their beloved friar's grave and all wonder if the dream will be carried on.

I will, of course, cut it down to 25 or so words for the book blurb.

Appreciate your help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The history of the California missions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life in the military and general ramblings
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 778

Raising the King's Highway

...first thing to pop in my head. I love the word raising. Like you're lifting something that was essentially always there.

I can think of a lot of smart-ass titles which I am also partial to, but...
Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 257

Without reading your story, there really is no way to know if any particular title will work or not.

Think about it -- almost any given title works or doesn't work in retrospect...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 217

Holy Highwaymen Batman!

Actually I think The King's Highway isn't bad at all, but maybe it could use a bit more zing.

The King's Highway Men. It's grammatically correct but perhaps a bit misleading.

Holy Men on the King's Highway...mmmm.

If you juxtapose King and God or Holy in the same sentence you will definitely get your reader's attention.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:28 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 88

I've decided to go with The Birth of el Camino Real

Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 778

Originally Posted by longknife View Post
I've decided to go with The Birth of el Camino Real

How about: The Birth Canal at Camino Real?

See? It rhymes.😀
Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 AM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 88

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe