WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Lolita?!

Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
He was a perv, for sure, and maybe his pleas for understanding may have been a ruse, but he was ensnared, a victim of his own desire and lacking the willpower to resist.

Funny, the fancy prose made me suspect him more. I wish I could have read it when it was originally published.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:47 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Fancy prose = pervert for sure.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:48 AM
kjjoyner (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Lolita was the first 'literary' book I read of my own accord when I was about 16/17 and it was the first time I really appreciated how language could be beautiful. The story to me was not particularly shocking - perhaps because it wasn't particularly graphic (unlike the Jilly Cooper's I was obsessed with at the time!), and I think it is perhaps more shocking to me now that I am older and have more knowledge about the aftereffects of paedophillia.

I really agree that censorship is only ever limiting, and by reading about these sorts of topics can only educate and therefore help us to deal with them in reality. Empathy is such a valuable tool in understanding and processing tough subjects like this, which in my opinion need to be understood before you can set about preventing them.

Plus if I had never read Lolita I may never have developed a ferocious appetite for reading beautiful language, or ever written a thing!
Old 09-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Checker (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

When children are able to make a conscientious decision to do something or not, knowing the possible repercussions, they are no longer children and you should no longer treat them as such.

When I was in my early teens, I was given access to a completely unfathomable source of knowledge and information (i.e., the internet - I'm fairly young, I think, compared to most of those who browse this forum). Undoubtedly, this lead me to some pretty shocking discoveries - but those discoveries didn't horribly corrupt me as a person (at least, I'd hope not), and I'd like to think that I'm still a pretty decent person.

I understood (understand) - as all healthy people do - that just because something is written about, just because it is on the internet, does not condone the action/thing. No healthy person reads Lolita and says "Hey, I should do that!", including older "children" who are able to understand the novel in the first place.

I'm in no real place to give parenting advice, but the idea of censoring people who are able to make their own decisions just really, really flusters me - especially when they are at an important developmental point in their life. To me, the idea of "banning" Nabokov from your household is akin to (as someone noted before) banning Shakespeare, or even Harry Potter.

If I were ever to become a parent, I would understand that there is a time in a person's life where they not only want to, but have to stop simply emulating their parents. There comes a time where parents change from a mold (as in a crafting/smithing mold), to a guide - otherwise, you have not created a unique human being with unique thoughts and personality, but a mesh of the two parents, retaining some of the obvious flaws.

I'd let my kid read Nabokov (if they wanted to - I wouldn't force it on them, surely), but I'd be certain that, if they do want to, they'd know why the actions taken by the characters of the novel were wrong (or, in the wonderful case of my child reading a bit of philosophy that I do not agree with on a personal level, why I think it's wrong, and where I could be incorrect), and that the characters were by no means positive role models.

After leafing through my own copy, I am reminded of how absolutely stunning Nabokov's prose is. It's hideous in subject matter, but so beautifully written. I swoon at his writing.
"So you are going to relax, cher ami. You are determined to hide your trembling, achieve a few moments of silence, begin smoking one of your delightful cigarettes, and then after this appropriate expenditure of precious time and in the midst of your composure, then you will attempt to dissuade me, to talk me back to sanity (as you will express the idea), to appeal to my kindness and good sense. I approve. I am listening. The hour is yours. But of course you may use the lighter. Only reach for it slowly and keep in mind my warning. Do not be deceived by my good nature. I am as serious as a sheet of flame."

Last edited by Checker; 09-17-2015 at 06:36 AM..
Old 10-18-2015, 07:59 AM
ADreamer (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
what about? the fact that I did not agree on Lolita as a book because it is a perverse book or the fact that some stuff is best left alone?
If Lolita is a perverse book then do you cover your eyes, plug your ears and start singing lalala when similar "perversion" makes it to the 6 o' clock news?

Lolita is like many literature fiction [this is not fantasy land, world is a land of gumdrops & rainbows found in the escapism writing of genre fiction] books - it grabs the nasty nature of humanity by the horns and doesn't care if it is "abnormal" because simply put human nature is abnormal. If humans weren't prone to being abnormal then things like Lolita wouldn't be happening in real life... and trust me, they do [plenty of stories all over the world that sing a very similar tune as this book].

Lolita is a good read, an exceptional read, and to knock it off as perverse is no better than shuffling any of the other "nasty" books aside.

You say your kids are getting quite the education - but if you ignore such "nasty" topics as this then their education is stunted.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

I dont know but those were my thoughts on this book
here is my little quote on it

the numer of words you must always observe
is the number of thoughts you must never unerve
or writing is a perve
not worth a serve.
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon

Last edited by Nacia; 10-19-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 AM
CandraH

Havent read the book, just seen the film. I think Lolita is what they call shining a light on a difficult subject.

Some people might not like looking at those subjects, and they're free to hide their eyes. Others arent afraid to look at or discuss them. Its how we evolve from superstition and fear into intelligence and reason.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:18 AM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 216

Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
If we would not allow books like Lolita, or Belinda, or Catcher in the Rye, or Mein Kampf to be published, we would not be able to decide for ourselves if the subject is suitable to our taste.
It would indeed reek of censorship. I say, let it all be written and published.

Education is the basis of common sense and if there would be no books on dubious subjects, how would we be able to educate our children and ourselves?
Mein Kampf,... kind randomly off topic? lest you a jewish person or?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
Old 03-26-2016, 04:46 PM
ADreamer (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by chat bot View Post
Mein Kampf,... kind randomly off topic? lest you a jewish person or?
No, it isn't off topic in the slightest. And it is a tad silly to imply someone who reads Mein Kampf is either Jewish or pro-Nazi. I have read it, I have a number of very close Jewish friends and I have also read Mao's Little Red Book. Am I going to run out and start enacting either books mindset - no, but I like to be educated to learn what exactly spawned such books and such mentality.

There's an old saying, translated into English, that basically says it is only the blind [well another word is used, blind is the "nice" translation] that do not look to the past. In their foolishness, they learn nothing and reenact the errors of their fathers and their fathers' fathers.

If one is unwilling to read the nasty books out there - to learn reality in all its colors - then you might not as well read a single book because all you read then is what appeals to your "candy-land" fantasy world and further from reality than living on Mars.

Bind me in chains. Throw me in the darkest prisons. Cut out my tongue. Break my fingers. Here do you want my eyes? It matters not. For it is you who fears not I; and so you will never quiet my voice.

If people really feared they would say something wrong, then the world would be blissfully quiet. Why, you ask. Because then no one would open their mouth.

It is not the brave who are foolish, it is the foolish who are brave.

Literary fiction takes skill. Unlike other forms of fiction the authors can't be afraid to grab the ugly side of humanity by the horns and pull it kicking and screaming into the light.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:59 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 125

The implication there is that Lolita is a 'nasty' book.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:48 AM
Gaines (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 863

My question is who did Nabokov have locked in his root cellar???
Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 AM
Binx B

Never mind. I took a comment out of context. Never a good idea.

Last edited by Binx B; 03-29-2016 at 03:20 AM..
Old 03-29-2016, 06:44 AM
CandraH

Damn, Binx, now I'm curious

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library