WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Writer's Beat, for all members.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default Ye gads! Barbarians at the Gate.

I'm new here and really appreciate this thread.

In my life, I've moderated many writer support groups. It can become intense at times. I actually had one group where two writers came to blows and I suspect that if this forum was conducted in person, there would be writers slugging it out. In one of my groups I had to pass out Rules and Regs on how to give feedback instead of my verbal presentation.

Developing Rhino Hide goes a long way to protect the feelings. But the more a writer puts in a piece, the Rhino Hide starts to fall off. I must say that those who run this forum do an amazing job in trying to keep events fair and honest.

My experiences has led me to believe that if 20 humans get together for a common cause, there will be one or two bullies.

One thing I did which was helpful was to stress that the work is not the writer. Otherwise, it's putting down the creator for the creation.

I remember saying in many groups "If you can't say something positive then shut the f,,k up!"

Joining this community has given me a place to belong and to all members I would say let's not s,,t in own backyard.

I hate bullies!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful writing day.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:17 PM
John_Casey_2014 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5

"If you can't say something positive..."

Oh, I don't know. I'm here for feedback of all persuasions, positive, negative, or indifferent.

The absolute last thing I want is a trophy just for showing up.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by John_Casey_2014 View Post
"If you can't say something positive..."

Oh, I don't know. I'm here for feedback of all persuasions, positive, negative, or indifferent.

The absolute last thing I want is a trophy just for showing up.

Nobody is suggesting that you get a trophy just for showing up.

There is a difference between abuse and criticism. Some people simply like being abusive. In a good support group abuse is not tolerated.

Criticism intends for you to grow and improve. Abuse intends for you to stagnant or decline (so the abuser can feel like he is rising or improving).

Being polite, respectful and yet offering constructive criticism should be the goal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poirot For This Useful Post:
John_Casey_2014 (08-05-2015), Miki (01-25-2016)
Old 08-05-2015, 03:11 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Loneliness is the curse of the writing life. It can lead to drug abuse and other self destructive behavior. But if you can solve the problem by associating with other lonely people you're way ahead of the game. Which is why I like to associate with other writers.

Also, writers have bigger minds than regular people so they are more fun to be around.

But you have to share to be accepted.

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:34 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by old guy View Post
Loneliness is the curse of the writing life. It can lead to drug abuse and other self destructive behavior. But if you can solve the problem by associating with other lonely people you're way ahead of the game. Which is why I like to associate with other writers.

Also, writers have bigger minds than regular people so they are more fun to be around.

But you have to share to be accepted.

Have a nice writing day.

Oh, there are big minded and small minded people in every profession. Are there more big minded people in the writing profession? I'm not convinced.

And what do you have to say to those who share by posting here and are ridiculed? That's hardly acceptance.

I think we all have a responsibility to make this site one that encourages and supports fellow writers.
The Following User Says Thank You to poirot For This Useful Post:
John_Casey_2014 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I'd like to see examples of members who have been abused and ridiculed.

Most of the time when things get contentious, it's not in the critique sections -- it's when people are talking about so-called rules or opinions about writing that have little basis. The people who make this stuff up or repeat the canards, when they are called on their B.S. -- it hurts their feelings. And there are always going to be people who call it bullying or abuse.

When it comes to actual critique, I don't see any abuse. I do some people who really have a hard time taking criticism, who are mostly seeking praise and treat the site like it's a showcase.

But every once and a while someone comes along and appoints himself an arbiter fairness and good behavior. Seems like most of the time they rarely contribute much beyond that.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 08-06-2015 at 02:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
I'd like to see examples of members who have been abused and ridiculed.

Most of the time when things get contentious, it's not in the critique sections -- it's when people are talking about so-called rules or opinions about writing that have little basis. The people who make this stuff up or repeat the canards, when they are called on their B.S. -- it hurts their feelings. And there are always going to be people who call it bullying or abuse.

When it comes to actual critique, I don't see any abuse. I do some people who really have a hard time taking criticism, who are mostly seeking praise and treat the site like it's a showcase.

But every once and a while someone comes along and appoints himself an arbiter fairness and good behavior. Seems like most of the time they rarely contribute much beyond that.

I feel abused by your post. You seem way too confident to be fair in your criticisms of my work. I need you to be more 'touchy-feely' with your opinions. After all, I'm a human being and should be accorded plenty of dick-stroking before you violate the masterpieces I throw-up.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
JoeMatt (08-11-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 09:18 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

I agree that we need to support each other. And, of course there's no way to prove it, but I still feel that writers have expanded minds. Compare any writer with someone who deals with every day life.

The basis of my POV is that the more facts which have been assembled by the mind, the bigger it gets. In fact, I have a personal scale I find useful. It's just like buying a coat.

The petite mind has few facts and is mired in supersitions and fables of childhood.

The Small size has more facts but no reasoning ability. Many small minds are stuck in religion because the can't break out of childhood thinking.

A medium mind has begun to reason.

A large mind has learned how to reason AND can analyze. The large mind understands scientific principles. They can develope facts and implications.

The extra large is few. They do everything the Large mind can do plus break new ground.

If you do a Bell Curve of Minds, there would be the same number of people in Petite and Extra Large.
There more more people in Small and Large. And the Medium mind would have the most people.

When a mind of any size is critical of a mind of another size (up or down) disputes arise. Fellings are hurt. War is declared.

It's too bad that all people can't get a Rhino Hide coat to wear. It would be a more sane world.

Before anyone attacks with Chop Logic, you should know that I don't play. My mind is overcome trying to find the facts I don't know.

Does any of this make sense, or is it just the ramblings of a tired bored writer?

Have a great thinking day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

Last edited by wrc; 08-06-2015 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: I felt compelled to edit it.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

And, of course there's no way to prove it, but I still feel that writers have expanded minds. Compare any writer with someone who deals with every day life.
The writer should at least have an expanded vocabulary. But I wouldn't extend that comparison to any writer.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Mobius (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I think I'm Just simple minded. I like to write, some other people sometimes like what I write, sometimes don't. Call me simple or wise and I can honestly answer 'sometimes' to both.

But why are we all using our minds, limited, not in anything quantifiable I have on me, but by certs time, on talking at or against, when we all know its about the story? Make and share if ye care, and rhyming was accident.

Ps, qualified the rhyming cos poets scare me!

Last edited by Mobius; 08-07-2015 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Ps
Old 08-09-2015, 08:49 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Howdy

I'm still getting my wings and if this is the wrong place to make my request would you please pass this post to where ever it should have gone?

I posted two short stories. When I posted the 3rd one, Vacation Game, I got 14 views and no feedback. I'm not sure what to make of this, but maybe it was too raw.

In any case, would you please delete it so I can put this experience behind me and post something else?

I love this forum!

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:54 AM
pswgear (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 121
Send a message via Skype™ to pswgear

People are people, man.

I know writers who are idiots, small minded, conceited blowhards.

And non-writers who are wildly intelligent, with minds and passions that want to take the world by force.

Glorifying writing is just...silly. It's a hard slog with beautiful results here and there. And sometimes people don't care what you write. Thems the breaks.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 357

I agree that we need to support each other. And, of course there's no way to prove it, but I still feel that writers have expanded minds. Compare any writer with someone who deals with every day life.
Don't we all, writer or not, deal with every day life?
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Shivani Pathak (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Hey Friends,
I am new here. Don't know much about writing. Writing is one of my hobby that's why I have joined this forum. Want to learn something new from here.
Thank you.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Shivani Pathak View Post
Hey Friends,
I am new here. Don't know much about writing. Writing is one of my hobby that's why I have joined this forum. Want to learn something new from here.
Thank you.

Hey, I seem to remember knowing a Shivani when living in the Sausalito house boat community during the 70's.

Are you from California?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Hey, I seem to remember knowing a Shivani when living in the Sausalito house boat community during the 70's.

Are you from California?

Yeah, the girl I remember from back then didn't want to have anything to do with me.

And now it looks like she still won't give me the time of day.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

It's because she'd be dating herself if she confirmed, Nick.

The seventies was a long time ago. She may still be trying to pass for forty.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
It's because she'd be dating herself if she confirmed, Nick.

The seventies was a long time ago. She may still be trying to pass for forty.

Forty is the new twenty.

And this dating oneself ... is that a natural evolution from narcissism?

Not sayin' the girl I knew was overly self involved but it stands to reason the only way she was able to resist my youthful, virile charm is she had something going on with someone else. And if that someone else was her ... well I can fooly appreciate the attraction.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

Yeah, if women liked themselves as much as I like them I'd never get anywhere with them.

A significant other is much easier to get around than a self-involved self.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 PM
JF Springer (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Simple solution, simply cut the baby into as many pieces are there are people acting out and be done with it.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board