WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons

Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons Poetry Tools and Lessons on the Beat. Your first stop for learning and help with poetic technique.

A Crash Course in Punctuation

Old 09-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Lon Palmer (Offline)
Writing Mentor

Thanks 440
Send a message via Yahoo to Lon Palmer Send a message via Skype™ to Lon Palmer
Default A Crash Course in Punctuation

A Crash Course in Punctuation

This topic does not, obviously, relate strictly to poetry, but it comes up often enough in the discussion of poetry (with enough confusion attached) that I thought this might be useful. It is not, by any means, to be considered exhaustive, but should cover most of the situations that arise. I will add to this list as the need arises, whether through questions, requests or other situations. I hope that you find this helpful. As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

Period - This is used at the end of a complete sentence. It can also be used to end a sentence fragment because the "missing" elements are understood.

Colon - This can be used in a couple of situations:

- to introduce a list: "I like the following sports: hockey, baseball and tennis."
- to join two sentences when the second explains the first: "I don't like to beans: they make me fart."

Semicolon - This is also used most often to join two complete sentences which are so closely related that the writer wants them to be considered together: "My wife thinks that I am unreasonable; I know that she is."

Comma - This is used most often to separate grammatical units within a sentence that are not complete sentences (independent clauses) and cannot stand on their own, such as dependent clauses or items in a list.

As I wrote above, I will be happy add to this short guide as the occasion arises.

Your questions and requests are more than welcome.

To see a short discussion of punctuation specifically in relation to poetry, please see "Reference: Punctuation in Poetry" http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=16295

Last edited by Lon Palmer; 09-26-2015 at 10:09 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lon Palmer For This Useful Post:
summerbreeze (10-16-2015)

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons