WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 12-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I think you go out of you way to take side swipes.

Nothing naive, and wasn't inferring that women, minors etc having recourse when they didn't.

But I'll accept that your comprehension is lacking and you have no clue what I was referring to and move from there.
Heh. The statement is entirely self-explanatory.

We watch the normalization of smut with the debasement of of our culture via our mass entertainment and then act giddily shocked when our "leaders" turn out to be sociopathic sexual predators. - Mohican
What I'm saying is the behavior you're attributing to "the debasement of culture" etc. isn't new -- it was simply swept under the rug, because women and minors had no power or recourse. Now it's all coming to light -- and some people are surprised.

Not that complicated -- and certainly not an indication that I didn't comprehend your rather simple assertion -- which is just more of your nostalgic "good old days" thinking.

Last edited by Myers; 12-03-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

this time, they destroyed more than a baker's business

http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/08/...ns-homophobia/

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 12-12-2017 at 09:02 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

A Portrait of Hope?

Suzanne Sherman gives some mention of the temple of Lincoln here:

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2017...al-government/

The Lincoln Memorial serves as one of the clearest examples of this national government worship. While everyone is aware the monument exists, how many know what the inscription behind his figure says? It reads: ďIN THIS TEMPLE AS IN THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE FOR WHOM HE SAVED THE UNION THE MEMORY OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN IS ENSHRINED FOREVER.Ē

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

this time, they destroyed more than a baker's business

http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/08/...ns-homophobia/
If you look at what happened without prejudice, it's pretty clear that this is about online harassment in general -- in this case with a motivation or pretense of a social justice agenda. It's not specifically a gay thing -- the connection you need to make. And aside from the headline, the author actually does a pretty good job highlighting the real issue.

From the article:

This is not what the Internet is for. This is not how interpersonal relationships and social networks are supposed to work.
And:

This is about how we’ve come to cheer on online lynch mobs.
Otherwise, surprise, surprise -- like the general population, some percentage of "THEY" -- gay people and supporters of gay rights -- are assholes. But let's not pass up an opportunity to wield the broad brush...

Last edited by Myers; 12-14-2017 at 05:51 AM..
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

IF a broad brush was applied because it was deserved.

Every person that joined in on the witch hunt, gay or straight (although few straight people probably participated) acted with an extreme amount of malice.

I have pointed out that there is a double standard in the offering of services - but most people just move on from it, instead of mounting a campaign to force someone to act against their beliefs or drive them out of business and into the poor house.

The people that acted against the Baker, the florist, the photographer were shitty people. The people that defend the people acting against the Baker, the Florist and the Photographer are also shitty people.

Chaput did say that tolerance is not a virtue, and I agree, but if a side (liberalism) claims tolerance to be a virtue then it needs to be applied in all manners, not just tolerance to favored causes.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

The problem when it comes to you is that you’ve already clearly expressed your views on sexual orientation, so I don’t have to go very far out on a limb when it comes to the motivation behind you posting this story.

Because of your prejudices -- you can’t help but wield a broad brush and it automatically becomes “they” or a gay thing, as opposed to just shitty behavior.

I automatically know it’s about a few bad eggs – because I know lots and lots of gay people and the majority of them would never condone this behavior. My guess is – and I think it’s a good one -- that would never cross your mind. So for you, I know what this is about – whether you will admit it or not.

Once you show your cards, you can’t unshow them.

BTW -- I think tolerance can be a virtue -- if it's about things that when reason is applied, I know don't effect me or anyone else...

Last edited by Myers; Yesterday at 06:49 AM..
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Tolerance being a virtue would be a large group of LBGTEIEIOs standing up and telling EVERYONE that it's ok to stand by what you believe.

This may have happened, but not to any degree that I noticed.

And the instance wasn't online harassment in general. It was the gays and their ilk. It was evil and malicious in it's intent, and it ended up in tragedy.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

This is one of many stories about online harassment that ended in tragedy.

But THIS particular story got you all excited exactly because it confirms your ALL your prejudices against "gays and their ilk" -- which is of course, just as absurd as saying "straight people and their ilk."

So yeah -- regarding that broad brush -- thank you for precisely underscore my point.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

You say prejudices like having a prejudices in and of themselves are bad things, while yourself harboring your own prejudices.

Prejudice has become one of those words that the intellectually lazy can throw out as a catch all adjective/insult.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 364

I'm not talking about ALL prejudices. Some are justified and rational and some aren't -- of course -- and naturally we all harbor some . Now who's being intellectually lazy? You're actually painting your broad brush with a broad brush! That's quite a trick.

I'm talking about your specific prejudices against gay people. Those come under the heading of irrational. That's not an insult -- that's an assessment based on what you've said here on the forum, although I'm sure you won't agree.

To anyone looking at the story objectively -- it would indeed be about online harassment in general -- especially anyone familiar with other such cases -- including those where gay people have committed suicide after being attacked and outed online.

But I have little doubt that in your mind this article about "THEY" confirmed and justified your irrational prejudices -- and that's exactly why you posted it.

Oh well.

Last edited by Myers; Yesterday at 01:18 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table