WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

The Pseudo-Skeptic

Old 05-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 171
Default The Pseudo-Skeptic

The pseudo-skeptics are usually quite fanatical and have little regard for facts, evidence, or truth. They have a preconceived opinion or belief that paranormal phenomena are impossible and therefore set out to debunk, not investigate.

If you have a tendency to denounce everyone (indeed, there are many con artists in the field of metaphysics) trying to explain a supernatural event, you may fall into the category of a pseudo-skeptic. Some of these people earn a lucrative living by denying whatever they are paid to deny.

Skepticism is healthy. But, ask questions and do not jump to rash conclusions. If you lean on others who do not thoroughly examine things before lashing out against them, you might want to examine oneself.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-07-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-08-2018, 10:55 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 405

So is a pseudo-skeptic a secret believer?
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

Well, yes. Everyone believes something. If a proposition don't fit that world view it's rejected. Most self proclaimed skeptics are really bigots.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Well, maybe some of them are.

When it comes to the supernatural or paranormal, some people require evidnence beyond the anecdotal or other tenuous correlations -- like "unexplained cold spot in a room -- so ghosts." Or "Einstein said energy or matter can't be destroyed -- so ghosts."

I don't think that has anything to do with bigotry...
Old 05-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 171

The bottom line: thoroughly investigate before tossing the "fraud" label around, a practice which seems quite common among some folks around here. I'm assuming even an open-minded skeptic will agree.

It is a good practice to trade in your own shoes for someone else's every now and then. A much better one then the childish "labeling" or the immediate "thumbs down signal." Grown-up hour has long past.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 171

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Well, yes. Everyone believes something. If a proposition don't fit that world view it's rejected. Most self proclaimed skeptics are really bigots.
Naturally. Your beliefs dictate who you are. Essentially, they own you. Mine are no different. My beliefs are who I am. Does it make you a "fraud," if your beliefs differ from mine? In whose fairytale?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table