WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

is "me too" becoming trendy?

Old 12-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25
Default is "me too" becoming trendy?

so all of a sudden we are swamped with reports of sexual harassment by prominent men in sports, entertainment, the media, government and even academia. Whats different now? Men haven't overnight turned into grasping monsters. Has this always been the case or are women suddenly feel free to report such actions. I do notice that very little evidence is provided by those making the accusations. Thoughts anyone?

Old 12-02-2017, 01:38 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,898

("...it's back to your other post Connie, in that if there are dire consequences to relating to someone in real life, be that at work, or elsewhere, and absolutely none relating to them anonymously online like this, then that spells an end to real life relationships for these online ones instead..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...thus consequences make cowards of us all, where when I was young it was all about her and tonight, whereas at my age its all about the morrow and is it really worth it to me anymore...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-03-2017 at 12:56 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 03:18 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,009

Originally Posted by Connie View Post
so all of a sudden we are swamped with reports of sexual harassment by prominent men in sports, entertainment, the media, government and even academia. Whats different now? Men haven't overnight turned into grasping monsters. Has this always been the case or are women suddenly feel free to report such actions. I do notice that very little evidence is provided by those making the accusations. Thoughts anyone?

Some percentage of men have always been sexually aggressive. Powerful men have had more opportunity and leverage than men without power, and because we are now living in the world community rather than trapped in our own little local communities (or the perception of a world community), women are feeling more empowered to speak out.

I have no doubt that there will be some false allegations leveled here and there, for a bunch of reasons, but I’d be inclined to believe the majority of these accusations.

It’s amazing what you can’t get away with when everybody is watching everything.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
pralina (02-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

I guess there will be no mistletoe hanging in the office this year.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

I guess there will be no mistletoe hanging in the office this year.
I can't remember mistletoe in the office, ever. Is that a Brit thing?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:49 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,898

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I can't remember mistletoe in the office, ever. Is that a Brit thing?
("...well actually that mistletoe thingy all dates back to a slight misunderstanding..." replied the goblin hoping to shed light on it here, continuing "...you see there was once this secretary who wanted to poison her boss in the office over christmas time, where what better way she thought than to defuse a sprig of mistletoe in his tea, only that very moment she was preparing it he came in, and thus in order to hide her guilt she then placed the mistletoe above his head while inviting him to kiss her not so much under mistletoe that per se, no under the company's security camera...", which was the moment that the goblin suspected that his mind was turning all chrismushy, and of course he had tried hard not the vision up brights lights with snow flakes, tried hard to blot out of his mind that melodic "I'm dreaming of a white chritmas" too", but try as he may everywhere he looked it was just santa now, "...ho ho ho my little goblin, and a merry christmas to you too, in fact a merry christmas to one and all, just time to be jolly now isn't it my little friend, so come now, surrender your brain to me and I will happily exact it turning you into a christmas shopping zombie..." went the jovial voice from within, the goblin resisted it, yet he wondered if it wasn't already too late for some)

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-04-2017 at 09:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:21 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

The issue isn't black and white.

Here's a question.

Say I'm an actress looking for a part, and some male director says I'll get it in exchange for some sexual favour. I'm outraged and walk out. But my ethically challenged peer takes up his offer quite happily and gets the part. Who is more responsible for the perpetuation of this behaviour, the director or my peer?

We could argue about degrees but there's little doubt that there's a two way street at play here. To wit, as the ethical person trying to get by on my talents I am at once pressured by less ethical employers as well as less ethical peers.

And let's say you're a happily married director, and some young hopeful straddles you in some office because she's conditioned to think that that's how to get ahead in the industry. If you came out about the incident -- would it be met with the same level of sympathy or, would people secretly think that you're pretty lucky and don't have anything to complain about?
Old 12-04-2017, 05:53 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

Ans now this morning, my favorite conductor, James Levine.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,082

Ans now this morning, my favorite conductor, James Levine.

No doubt he's about to book himself into the same rehab clinic as Spacey and Weinstein...
Old 12-04-2017, 09:54 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 271

maybe they don't happen to turn into monsters. maybe they are just monsters.

(i always think it's jealousy. big cock, small deals, etc. beautiful women in the world are all thinking twice before blooming in the workplace.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
The Following User Says Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
Mohican (01-11-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

I'm thinking of self publishing a book called Me, Too: It Happened. Telling of my uncle's pedophilia and how it has affected me throughout my life. Would it sell, I wonder?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead
Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

Well its not a book you should tell, it was your mother, father, priest, somebody in authority. I hope little kids feel more free to do that today than in past generations.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

[QUOTE=fleamailman

"...thus consequences make cowards of us all, where when I was young it was all about her and tonight, whereas at my age its all about the morrow and is it really worth it to me anymore...")

[/QUOTE]

Nice one.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by Luciaphile View Post
I'm thinking of self publishing a book called Me, Too: It Happened. Telling of my uncle's pedophilia and how it has affected me throughout my life. Would it sell, I wonder?
I don't know. Can you tell a good story?

Otherwise, it's a story that's been told many times.

You'll have to put you're own twist on it -- a unique perspective.

"Me too" alone won't to be enough.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

It's indicative of what women have felt they had to put up with. And that attitude still persists, gender equality notwithstanding. Women are still blamed for being raped, as if men were just being men and it's a woman's job to keep herself safe.

Of course some unscrupulous types will use the current situation to get some free publicity. Women (some, not all) have always exploited men to further their careers, just as men (some, not all) have always abused the power they have over women.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
pralina (02-04-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:59 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Here's one.

Why is Corey Feldman sidelined and marginalised in the whole affair?
Mohican (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 413

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
... have always abused the power they have over women.
Heh,heh. As if women have no power over men.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 01-29-2018, 06:42 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
Here's one.

Why is Corey Feldman sidelined and marginalised in the whole affair?
Because nobody in the press want's to offend the gay lobby.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 688

Has Me Too pushed too far too fast? https://nypost.com/2018/02/03/a-male...oo-is-brewing/

it goes from what might be a understandable ("Common sense-ish"?) reaction

Consider what’s happening in the capital of Florida. Female staffers and lobbyists have found “many male legislators will no longer meet with them privately,” reported The Miami Herald. “I had a senator say, ‘I need my aide here in the room because I need a chaperone,’ ” lobbyist Jennifer Green told the paper. “I said, ‘Senator, why do you need a chaperone? . . . Do you feel uncomfortable around me?’ ‘Well,’ he said, ‘anyone can say anything with the door shut.’ ”

The unsaid If I'm going to get pilloried I'll just take an easier path

“I’m getting the feeling that we’re going back 20 years as female professionals,” said Green, who owns her company. “I fully anticipate I’m going to be competing with another firm that is currently owned by some male, and the deciding factor is going to be: ‘You don’t want to hire a female lobbying firm in this environment.’ ”
to defending against the ridiculous

Outraged feminists triggered by “Thérèse Dreaming,” a suggestive 1938 painting of a clothed pubescent girl by the Polish-French artist Balthus, demanded the Metropolitan Museum of Art remove it. (The Met refused, to its credit). Moms are dressing their sons in humiliating “the Future is Female” T-shirts. The women’s Web site Bustle banned the word “flattering” because it implies there’s an ideal shape for a woman, and we all know women aren’t interested in looks.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

"I look forward to the day when a woman holds no power over me."

...Socrates

Me too.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:32 PM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
"I look forward to the day when a woman holds no power over me."

...Socrates

Me too.
Would you feel better if a man had power over you?

Why do we have to say it’s either or? Can’t we just be decent for once in the history of the planet?

I think women started to speak up now because one or two of the braver ones started it and demonizing it is not helpful. Of course there are awful women who accuse men of rape that didn’t happen just to make their lives miserable but let’s not forget that there are still places where if you get raped you can go to jail. If you miscarry you can go to jail, if you disobey your husband he has the right to hit you and divorce you. If you’re on your period you are not allowed in the house or a church. And you have to be quiet and take it.

So saying that women in general have power over men is bullshit. It has been a man’s world and that’s why the whole “me too” stirs up so much controversy. Because they dared to speak up and it caused prominent people lose their shit.

When I don’t allow my dog to do something she’s used to she starts to shake.

The part that never stops baffling me is that men are sometimes so oblivious to the problem. When the Winstein cases started to come up I heard my father, who is a lovely man, say that ‘he probably just patted the girls in the butts, or they wanted him to do it and now they are overreacting’ and that’s not ok.

Never tell anybody how they should feel. It’s not your place to do so.
Luciaphile (02-08-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 08:40 PM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

I do notice that very little evidence is provided by those making the accusations. Thoughts anyone?
What sort of evidence would you like to see? Psychological damage doesn’t not bruise or scar. Perhaps receipts from the therapist? Or a dream journal?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:16 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

What men mean when they claim women have power over them is that women dominate their every waking thought. It's like blaming the bar of chocolate for your inability to diet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
Gaines (02-05-2018), Luciaphile (02-08-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:33 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

pralina; What sort of evidence would you like to see? Psychological damage doesn’t not bruise or scar. Perhaps receipts from the therapist? Or a dream journal?
-----------------

I know. Let's dust them for fingerprints. I'll do it.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

[QUOTE=pralina;741463]Would you feel better if a man had power over you?

Why do we have to say it’s either or? Can’t we just be decent for once in the history of the planet?

If you take a good look at our history you can see where the problem stems from.

Let's go back, waaaay back, to the proverbial garden of eden where all this began.

Things were fine for a while but the powers that be decided to give man a mate and so He did.

She was well aware of the fruit tree situation but did she listen? Noooo. In typical hard headed female fashion she partook of the forbidden fruit and all hell broke loose. She even talked Adam into taking a bite. She probably stood there shaking her hooters at him as she handed him the apple. This is what they do when they want something from a man. And women wonder why men treat them like sex objects.

Cooking, cleaning, child rearing and taking care of the men folk is your purpose in life. Face it It's a mans world and if you girls didn't have lady parts there would be a bounty on you!

Now I could go on but i have to take a break and carry food down to the cellar for the girls. And later I will spray them with the garden hose so they can clean up. I'm not a barbarian after all.

By now you are probably losing your mind having read this far. Big chuckle here. Yes, I am jerking your chain.

Btw do you like SPAM?
Old 02-05-2018, 10:14 AM
anna (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 82

why the need to jerk her chain Gaines, does humiliating pralina do it for you?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

Originally Posted by anna View Post

Calm down. Btw are those birkenstocks you're wearing? They look comfortable.

Oh, and on the original question that started this thread. I'm sure many women have a legitimate right to go after sex offenders and they should. I applaud their courage.

Feel better anna? No? I tried.

Last edited by Gaines; 02-05-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 02-05-2018, 11:32 AM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

[QUOTE=Gaines;741477]
Originally Posted by pralina View Post
Would you feel better if a man had power over you?

If you take a good look at our history you can see where the problem stems from.

Let's go back, waaaay back, to the proverbial garden of eden where all this began.

Things were fine for a while but the powers that be decided to give man a mate and so He did.

She was well aware of the fruit tree situation but did she listen? Noooo. In typical hard headed female fashion she partook of the forbidden fruit and all hell broke loose. She even talked Adam into taking a bite. She probably stood there shaking her hooters at him as she handed him the apple. This is what they do when they want something from a man. And women wonder why men treat them like sex objects.

Cooking, cleaning, child rearing and taking care of the men folk is your purpose in life. Face it It's a mans world and if you girls didn't have lady parts there would be a bounty on you!

Now I could go on but i have to take a break and carry food down to the cellar for the girls. And later I will spray them with the garden hose so they can clean up. I'm not a barbarian after all.

By now you are probably losing your mind having read this far. Big chuckle here. Yes, I am jerking your chain.

Btw do you like SPAM?

It was neither funny, nor provoking. What it was was ridiculous and frankly a bit pathetic. You think it all simply doesn't concern you. It's fine, you don't concern me either.

Originally Posted by anna View Post
Thanks anna, I didn't find it humiliating, though. Boys will be boys. And that doesn't make me chuckle, it makes me sad.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:20 PM
anna (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 82

nah Gaines ... but come to think of it ... that reminds me of a gurl who prolly does get her kicks from wearing ‘em sweetie ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s08JBPwCko

hey pralina, Gaines doesn’t typify the many
Old 02-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

Their mensies are in sync......"prolly"

Last edited by Gaines; 02-05-2018 at 12:47 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table