WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Information/Cyber/russia

Old 12-23-2017, 04:36 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,232

Starr was initially appointed to investigate the suicide death of deputy White House counsel Vince Foster and the Whitewater real estate investments of Bill Clinton. The three-judge panel charged with administering the Independent Counsel Act later expanded the inquiry into numerous areas including suspected perjury about sexual activity that Bill Clinton had with Monica Lewinsky. After several years of investigation, Starr filed the Starr Report, which alleged that Bill Clinton lied about the existence of the affair during a sworn deposition. The allegation led to the impeachment of Bill Clinton and the five-year suspension of Clinton's law license.- wikipedia

And so far it’s been one FBI investigator removed because he was shown to dislike Trump a lot.

Maybe we disagree on the definition of the word refute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-23-2017, 04:54 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

@mohican

Peter Stroszk was removed due to text messages he sent to his paramour. To maintain propriety Mueller had Stroszk immediately reassigned although I find it to be feigned naivety to think that anyone would not have political opinions and moreover that those opinions are grounds for removal. Moreover these were private texts and so fall under first amendment rights. Unless youre advocating for the repeal of that amendment there has been no sign of impropriety.

Nor can we compare this to to Ken Starr's investigation. Here can be found Rosenstein's mandate to Mueller:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-re...67231/download

Germane to your claim that there is mission creep is this line: The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confinned by then-FBI
Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on
Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
(i) any links and/or coordination bet ween the Russian government and individuals
associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

This is 28CFR 600.4

§ 600.4 Jurisdiction.
(a)Original jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.

(b)Additional jurisdiction. If in the course of his or her investigation the Special Counsel concludes that additional jurisdiction beyond that specified in his or her original jurisdiction is necessary in order to fully investigate and resolve the matters assigned, or to investigate new matters that come to light in the course of his or her investigation, he or she shall consult with the Attorney General, who will determine whether to include the additional matters within the Special Counsel's jurisdiction or assign them elsewhere.

(c)Civil and administrative jurisdiction. If in the course of his or her investigation the Special Counsel determines that administrative remedies, civil sanctions or other governmental action outside the criminal justice system might be appropriate, he or she shall consult with the Attorney General with respect to the appropriate component to take any necessary action. A Special Counsel shall not have civil or administrative authority unless specifically granted such jurisdiction by the Attorney General.

So Mohican in your lattermost points you are grossly incorrect. In your formermost the logical conclusion of your arguments is that we should have a single party autocratic system where any hint of criticism leveled at the administration is evidence of corruption with all that that entails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

If tRUMP did wrong, then he should be removed.

That standard should be held for any president. The only time it would have worked (Nixon) Nixon read the tea leaves.

tRUMP wasn't my guy but he was preferable to Hillary.
I'm not a nationalist but I prefer nationalism to globalism.

In no uncertain terms I believe that government should be kept as local as possible, and that the Federal System would work best in it's original incarnation for a few clear duties - Defense of a union of states that hold much more sovereignty than they currently do.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

First of all I dont believe you in regards to Trump being removed. I think youd follow him to the bitter end.

As for preferring nationalism to globalism. You do realize we have bases in more than 80 countries. Were already globalists, we've been globalists since the 50's. Or do you think we should cede our power to other countries? Should we close off our markets? Should we disallow foreign investment? Should we prohibit our companies and corporations from investing in foreign markets? Thats what globalism is, I dont know what definition youre operating under.

Here is the actual definition just to by the by:

Globalism- n. A national geopolitical policy in which the entire world is regarded as the appropriate sphere for a state's influence.

Considering were an empire we have to act as though were globalists.

As for your last point I agree to an extent. Federal administration should be limited but it cannot be as limited as it was in its inception because of the advances in technology. You had no need for an EPA in the 1700s. You do now. You had no need for FCC but because of the way telecommunications operate you need them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by bluewpc View Post
First of all I dont believe you in regards to Trump being removed. I think youd follow him to the bitter end.
No, I meant what I said.

As for preferring nationalism to globalism. You do realize we have bases in more than 80 countries. Were already globalists, we've been globalists since the 50's. Or do you think we should cede our power to other countries? Should we close off our markets? Should we disallow foreign investment? Should we prohibit our companies and corporations from investing in foreign markets? Thats what globalism is, I dont know what definition youre operating under.

Here is the actual definition just to by the by:

Globalism- n. A national geopolitical policy in which the entire world is regarded as the appropriate sphere for a state's influence.

Considering were an empire we have to act as though were globalists.

As for your last point I agree to an extent. Federal administration should be limited but it cannot be as limited as it was in its inception because of the advances in technology. You had no need for an EPA in the 1700s. You do now. You had no need for FCC but because of the way telecommunications operate you need them.
It's not an either/or to me, but I am in a distinct minority. With every state having it's own EPA - and some having EPA style admins prior to Nixon, the Federal EPA should be limited to things that effect things crossing one border to another.

As to Globalism, I realize that from the US involvement in the Phillipines in the late 1800s, and really ramping up post WWII many in DC have had visions of Empire. I think we should reduce our footprint - barring tits up monetary collapse the US would never abandon everything.

Saying that I prefer nationalism to globalism doesn't mean I like nationalism, either. It's just a shrinkage.

I would rather see the empire break up peacefully versus another civil war or a balkanization due to other factors. That's one reason I wouldn't be upset if New England had another Hartford Convention, and if California and Texas decided they wanted to be their own countries that's be fine by me, also.

There are reasons - both philosophical and practical for opposing USA WORLD PEACE.

And we are ceding power, sometime involuntarily.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

The problem is that everything affects everything now. Were irrevocably interconnected. If a state with heavy industry decides to roll back pollution regulations and then the smog drifts over farm country and damages crops. Or a farm that's runoff damages recreational parks in the state downriver. Theres reasons for standardization so that these things dont happen and its better to have a blanket law than to have to arbitrate with lord knows how many cases and appeals that might crop up in 50 states. Its not logistically practical.

And your conception of globalism is severely lacking. What would you call manifest destiny but the inception of American globalism, first used in 1845, which was itself preceded by an enormous expansion of territory in the wake of the Revolution. And which was proceeded by the claiming of the Spanish territories in the 1890's but the closing of the west didnt occur until 1890. So there was no gap in American expansion ever. As soon as we conquered the continent we turned outwards.

Heres the US territorial claims, not continental states:

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1049.html

This country has been building an empire for centuries and the idea that there could possibly be a peaceful breakup is a fantasy. Im willing, and the civil war showed that many others, were very willing to slaughter the South to maintain the Union. And if you think that wont happen again I dont know what to tell you.

All of this sounds bad but theres political reality for you. One of my grudges against the South is theyve always been so complacent. They have no aspirations. They want to rule their little fiefdoms with iron fists and delusions of grandeur and thats it. Which would be ok with me if they werent part of the US. They have an obligation to maintain the reputation of this country and they dont do it.

In my philosophy which has generally been held by former administrations is that the greatest are bound to serve. Their power is not for themselves. Isnt that what Jesus demonstrated in washing his disciples feet? I really think the impact of that is lost on a modern populace. How debasing that is. But such is the way.

How is it bad that the US argues that other countries shouldnt be allowed to slaughter millions of people? That one country should respect the sovereignty of another country. Is there hypocrisy in that? Yes weve done as others have done but the thing to remember is everyone is guilty of that. Everyone's done it. So that now that we do have this power we should earn it by doing whats right in the world. Do we get it right all the time? No of course not. No one will ever have a perfect track record but at least we try and we have effected good. Real good has been brought into world because of us and thats nothing to be resentful about.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

The Russians are turning to the left now.

Interesting thing came out. Chelsea Manning whatever the hell it is now is now running against Ben Cardin of MD, a vocal opponent to Russian meddling in US politics.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-in-senate-run

The Russian apologist Norman Solomon just put out an op-ed decrying Cardin for being too tough on Russia. Here is his endorsement of Manning and trashing of Cardin and supposed russophobia:

http://www.normansolomon.com/norman_...a-manning.html

Another article I found in which Normon equates America and Russia:

http://www.ipsnews.net/2014/03/ukrai...ndum-unlawful/

https://www.foreign.senate.gov/press...s-on-democracy

Last edited by bluewpc; 01-15-2018 at 11:17 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

Interesting editorial here by the owner of Russia-Insider on links from Russia-Altright-Antisemitism

http://russia-insider.com/en/its-tim...-taboo/ri22186

Also:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-cal...rest-of-state/

The original leader left to live in fucking Moscow. Jesus fucking christ.

http://www.businessinsider.com/yes-c...t-again-2017-8

Last edited by bluewpc; 01-16-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

So. I'm not one for commenting on political topics I have no clue as to an opinion, yet I'm interested in hearing what others think of this RT (Russian Today) news source on the American front. I use to enjoy RT and this guy here Lee Camp, but I cannot subject myself to current events as the book I write would never end --

And the survey is: what do you guys think of not only the news source RT but this Lee Camp comedian who works for the company being attacked as Russian propaganda.

This was the email and letter Lee Camp sent to his fans:

Here's a web exclusive you won't find anywhere else. As you may know, Twitter sent out hundreds of thousands of emails to people telling them that RUSSIAN BOTS may have gotten to them! I address this insane neo-McCarthyism but also address the personal attacks on me and Redacted Tonight. Straight-to-camera, no bullshit. Click here.(video)

i dream, you dream, we all do --
Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,232
Default Information/Cyber/russia

All creatives have a provisory pass in my book. I don’t care who they work for. If you have a brain, all information can be good information. You just have to be smart enough to parse the bullshit. Amiright?

“Fake news” is inconsequential to me. Yeah, I see the bias. So what? I don’t know how everyone doesn’t.

And funny is funny... and mostly true in one way or another. Otherwise it wouldn’t be funny.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:14 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

RT is as much propaganda as the BBC and Al Jazeera, you'll usually have three different types of spin from each station regarding the same subject.

All mainstream media takes stories and manipulates, spins and frames to fit a certain viewpoint.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:43 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-refuse...-enough-794831

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42864372

This is all so fucking depressing.

Prediction for 2020 if the houses dont turn in 2018. The Republicans do as Speaker Ryan suggests and cleanses the FBI and replaces it with thugs. Come 2020 the FBI will investigate any potential democratic contender for the presidency and rule them unable to run thus cementing Republican control and turning the country into a one party state with a controlled opposition party.

Last edited by bluewpc; 01-30-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Old 02-16-2018, 10:54 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...arged-election

It seems to me that the Russian interference operation is one of the greatest operations ever pulled off in history.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-refuse...-enough-794831

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42864372

This is all so fucking depressing.

Prediction for 2020 if the houses dont turn in 2018. The Republicans do as Speaker Ryan suggests and cleanses the FBI and replaces it with thugs. Come 2020 the FBI will investigate any potential democratic contender for the presidency and rule them unable to run thus cementing Republican control and turning the country into a one party state with a controlled opposition party.

Think about it this way Blue: Remember how military had the Internet before the masses?

Okay. Logic states military and all intelligence agencies have the info before the masses.

Thus, that prediction is not a prediction but indeed a leak given in order to inform the masses that we are already in this situation.

FBI, CIA, NSA and all the other three letter so-and-so's have already turned our country into a one party system, it just has not yet been exposed and agreed upon by masses.

Sorry. And it does suck.
Tag. You're it.

i dream, you dream, we all do --
Old 02-17-2018, 03:29 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,232

Like bsauce says, we have been a one party system since at least Bill Clinton, if not since FDR sold us into WW2 in order to raise a behemoth military industrial complex. Yeah, yeah, I know it’s almost crazy conspiracy talk, eh, but man, just look at the facts.

Each side, left and right, have their pet issues, but both keep rolling along with the plan more or less in the same direction. If you said it’s almost time for this to be public knowledge, straight dope, what with all the connectivity and info floating around these days, you’d have a point.

So don’t worry; we’re already being fucked, albeit in the land of opportunity like no other. If you close your eyes and pretend it’s your boyfriend back there, it’s not so bad.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:04 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

I feel like this thread has aged very well

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclus...mpression=true

Old 03-23-2018, 09:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,232

I feel like this thread has aged very well

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclus...mpression=true

I want to see the tapes of Trump getting Pissed on by Russian whores before I decide. That would be great.

Not that I have a problem with being pissed on by hot Russian chicks if that’s your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

Ive seen some nasty shit in my time but i think in that one case Ill avert my eyes

Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,232

Ive seen some nasty shit in my time but i think in that one case Ill avert my eyes

Liar! Ha ha

You’d look... you’d have to. OMG it would be disgusting.

Been wondering what his wife’s take on all of this. In the dark? Naw, she’s probably known all along. That’s what I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 04:39 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

I would not collapse the wave function

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table