WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Does free-writing exist for non-fiction? where?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:27 AM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57
Default Does free-writing exist for non-fiction? where?

Ok, I had decided that the best area to write for profit was the "non-fiction" area. However, it does not come as naturally for me as fiction does. I thought to make-up this shortcoming through free-writing non-fiction everyday.

So this begs the question of course: Does free-writing exist for non-fiction. Ok, where are any existing resources for it. I conducted a google search and the only thing I came up with so far was Writing Prompts for Fiction and Non-Fiction

This helps of course however I'd like to go to the horses barn and find out myself if there are other more interesting sources, strategies, tips, e.t.c for non-fiction freewriting.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,386

Would you repeat the question, please?
Beesauce (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 521

What's there to think about? All I write is non-fiction, and that's how it all starts: by putting it all down exactly as I remember it, without worrying about punctuation, or sentence structure, or even about whether it makes sense.

Then I go back through and change what looks wrong (or sounds wrong), and after doing that twenty or thirty times I post it here, read all the comments, incorporate what looks right, and voila! I have a story it's taken me two (or three) years to get into print.

But you can do better than that, without "sources, strategies, (and) tips."

Just write.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 AM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57

hmm. thanks for the reply Prodigal. I suppose the specific thing I was looking for was free-writing resources for non-fiction. (e.g. more writing prompts)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:26 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70

you can free write anywhere .the world is a crayon box here. i am with n.p. on that. you free writing now

i dream, you dream, we all do --
Old 03-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,386

[QUOTE=egrizzly

I suppose the specific thing

[/QUOTE]

Do you tie the laces of shoes you are not putting on?
Old 03-20-2018, 04:25 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

You're right about non-fiction; that's where the money is. I seldom write it, but when I do, it's a much different process for me and involves more note-taking and structure. I'd start off with a thesis and then see if I can find evidence to support it. I wouldn't do much free-writing. But in my last story, I was about to give birth to an alien. In other words, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 422

If you're writing for money, forget about it. Sucking dick is easier and way faster. Writing is art, not a fucking whores market

If you're a girl I apologize. I don't wanna seem,misogynistic. But writing is art fuck money. I can make 200 in a day if I need. But when I write I fucking bleed

Courtesy of BP
Old 03-22-2018, 07:19 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
If you're writing for money, forget about it. Sucking dick is easier and way faster. Writing is art, not a fucking whores market

If you're a girl I apologize. I don't wanna seem,misogynistic. But writing is art fuck money. I can make 200 in a day if I need. But when I write I fucking bleed
You can make money sucking dick? You must be really good. Every BJ I've ever had has been free, but sloppy and--damn it, you have to cover the teeth. So, I guess what you get what you pay for.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
You can make money sucking dick? .

If youíre a dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,386

You're right about non-fiction; that's where the money is. I seldom write it, but when I do, it's a much different process for me and involves more note-taking and structure. I'd start off with a thesis and then see if I can find evidence to support it. I wouldn't do much free-writing. But in my last story, I was about to give birth to an alien. In other words, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Have you ever been paid for anything you wrote?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:02 AM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Have you ever been paid for anything you wrote?
Yes. A medical software company was my biggest paying gig. They hired me to write all their reference materials and user manuals. An inventory management company hired me to write something similar.

Back in the day when people read newspapers, actual physical newspapers that left ink on your fingers, a local newspaper would use me to cover certain events. The editors trusted me to cover government and politics in a neutral tone. My biggest story was when I covered a visit from Presidential candidate Bob Dole. The Secret Service insisted that I sit in the press pool and not out in the crowd (you don't want to argue with those people). I sat between the CNN news team and the Fox news team with my 35mm camera and stenographer's pad. What struck me the most was that they already had their stories written before Dole arrived, but I digress. They paid me $50.

As writers, I think many of us have a desire to write the great American (or insert any other nationality) novel, but I don't think your average reader wants to read it. Most of the books we buy are to help us solve a problem or to tell us how to do something. How to balance your stock portfolio, how to learn a new language, how to use machine learning to improve your company's efficiency, etc. It's fair to say that I haven't made a dime off fiction, unless you count a poem that earned me $20 and I self-published a chintzy novel that raked in rip-roaring royalties of $42.

Writing for bang, be it money or notoriety is of little importance to me these days. It's mostly an exercise in creativity for me and sometimes an exercise in reflection.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:47 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Yes. A medical software company was my biggest paying gig. They hired me to write all their reference materials and user manuals. An inventory management company hired me to write something similar.

Back in the day when people read newspapers, actual physical newspapers that left ink on your fingers, a local newspaper would use me to cover certain events. The editors trusted me to cover government and politics in a neutral tone. My biggest story was when I covered a visit from Presidential candidate Bob Dole. The Secret Service insisted that I sit in the press pool and not out in the crowd (you don't want to argue with those people). I sat between the CNN news team and the Fox news team with my 35mm camera and stenographer's pad. What struck me the most was that they already had their stories written before Dole arrived, but I digress. They paid me $50.

As writers, I think many of us have a desire to write the great American (or insert any other nationality) novel, but I don't think your average reader wants to read it. Most of the books we buy are to help us solve a problem or to tell us how to do something. How to balance your stock portfolio, how to learn a new language, how to use machine learning to improve your company's efficiency, etc. It's fair to say that I haven't made a dime off fiction, unless you count a poem that earned me $20 and I self-published a chintzy novel that raked in rip-roaring royalties of $42.

Writing for bang, be it money or notoriety is of little importance to me these days. It's mostly an exercise in creativity for me and sometimes an exercise in reflection.

Yeah, the great American novel is like the smash of the Beatles. Time and place. Iíd like to write that book (maybe Iíll get lucky), but I probably wonít.

Whatever else it is, writing is a fantastic hobby that I canít stop doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2018, 03:55 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,386

Impressive.
And thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:58 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,386

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

writing is a fantastic hobby that I canít stop doing.

[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone ever stop writing?
That would be just silly.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:07 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 422

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Why would anyone ever stop writing?
That would be just silly.
They gotta type some time

Courtesy of BP
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 PM
sca1een (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

When I started working at pro essay autowriter service I was reading articles like The Magic of Freewriting 5 Freewriting Secrets for Being a "Genius" Writing Tip: Experiment with Free-writing How to Get Started Free Writing
Good luck
Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by sca1een View Post

Links, links, links... Fuck you and your links.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Links, links, links... Fuck you and your links.
Calm down, dude -- it's not the end of the world.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues