WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Men don't smell like men anymore

Old 12-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25
Default Men don't smell like men anymore

So what happened in the last 20 years? Our father's smelled like Old Spice, English Leather, or even Vitalis. It was strong masculine complimenting their own earthy odor that I remember so well. Now, they smell like me- flower like spicy and feminine. In fact I've been tempted to ask what they are wearing so that I might purchase the same. And sometimes, its overpowering- that I can smell them from 2 tables away.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

I can agree that men don't smell like my Father used to. He had a signature cologne he wore for my entire life span. I couldn't tell you what mix of ingredients produced such a masculine chord. Regardless, on occasion I have caught the scent in passing and spontaneously spun round expecting to see him. He smelt of strength, security, wisdom and safety. It didn't say any of those things on the bottle - quite sure he mixed those extras in himself.

Smell has such powerful associations with memories and recognition. My own personal thought on the subject of scent is to find one classic perfume that blends perfectly with your own pheromones. When you find the one that really suits you - stick to it and apply with tantalising frugality to your pulse points.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Really? I haven't noticed that -- and I have a fairly sensitive smeller.

Otherwise, deodorant didn't work as well in my father's day.

Showering wasn't necessarily something people did every day either, so there was a certain amount of cover up going on.

Maybe one of the goals now is to not smell.

It's all a matter of personal preference -- so what difference does it make?

If anything -- we've all been brainwashed by consumer product companies into thinking we all stink or won't be noticed unless we use their stuff.

I don't think any of it is attached to a particular gender...

Last edited by Myers; 12-01-2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old 12-02-2017, 01:13 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...well, part of it might be that wonderful feeling of having shaved first, and then adding that cologne to one's raw neck and face afterwards, which is what I used to do so long ago now..." remarked the goblin who today used an electric shaver instead to save himself time now, then adding "...whereas part of it might be a reverse psychology too, in that if I give off no smell at all then you simply know I've bathed or showered this morning, where it would seem that the idea these days of being manly is mostly frowned upon too as something either too macho, or too butch, or too old fashioned then...", in fact, the goblin often suspected that to become a man one had to give up on trying to become one to actually become one, confiding "...and where those consequences would make cowards of us all, and where the path of least resistance is the one we choose mostly, so whether it's perfume that offends some people, or one's body odor that offends others, one can't go wrong with no small at all as part of one's invisibility perhaps...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-02-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

Quite agree Grace- wisdom, security and strength is what I remember from my father- that is, until he turned against me. I wanted his love so desperately but it was not to be. So now I guess I'm looking for an early version of my father- and Old Spice.`
The Following User Says Thank You to Connie For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

Ah. I'm afraid the dream of 'Old Spice Man' might prove as hard for you as it is for me Connie. Once upon a time, I was small enough to be gathered up. Fragile enough to need cosseting and trusting enough to put all my faith in the protection of the broad shoulders of one greater human being. But we're not small now - not in stature or mind. Necessity has made us both physically and mentally resilient. The more you achieve and accomplish on your own, the harder it becomes to find someone who can offer you a sense of strength or safety which can exceed or enhance what you already have. Simply - it's not those woody, sandalwood tones that we want, but perhaps the qualities we associate with the memory. Someone bigger,stronger and smarter to be a rock in those occasional, vulnerable, low times. Someone to make you feel entirely feminine - someone to take away the flash of challenge in your eyes. Yet, you are strong and capable, so your Old Spice man will need to be more of a boulder than just a rock.

And I wish you all the luck in the World. Find all that - and you can buy him a bottle of Old Spice for Christmas.x
https://youtu.be/EXfLirBwBKY

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 12-02-2017 at 03:16 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-03-2017), Luciaphile (12-28-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 01:45 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Anyone else remember when wearing Brut made you a sissy? They had to get heavyweight boxer Henry Cooper to overcome the stigma.
Using public transport was a whole lot less fragrant when a bloke had one bath a week and shunned toiletries in case they made him effeminate. The pheromones flying around should have had us girls dropping our knickers but week old body odour never turned me on, I must admit.
Grace Gabriel (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:08 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

I blame it all on Henry - stripped to the waist advising our nation to "splash it all over your body". The conservative two pats to the shaven chops were suddenly abandoned for a more turkey basting approach in aftershave application.

My respect to you Tart, for having pants on to start with, let alone keeping them on.

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 12-03-2017 at 02:18 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:51 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

Grace dear- its easy to see that you are a writer. You expressed those thoughts so perfectly. And you are quite right- we are big girls now and responsible for our own happiness. Nicely said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Connie For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:43 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

My dad might have had an occasional dab of old spice, but I can't remember him using much.

Me, I just try to be scent free when possible. Fall and winter, because hunting and spring and summer to lessen attraction to insects.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 02:38 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

Oh Mo...I'd have those critters named before you'd shot the bolt forward on your rifle.

Sending you a large case of Paco Robanne exclusively for hunting excursions.

Run, Bambi, run....
Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 AM
WhiteKnight75 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 2

I can't say, that I pay very much atention to how people smell but I do see less and less men's deodorant at the store, that actually smells like men's deodorant.
However this has not realy been a problem for me because everyone in my family (mum, dad and three boys) pretty much has their own signature deodorant, mine being Rexona sport defense. As long as they continue making that, I don't really care.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

Back in the day when I hunted Deer to supplement the meat supply.

Dressed in all my regalia--camouflaged from head to toe, with a dash of doe piss cologne. Whitetail bucks would occasionally come up so close, I could touch them with my rifle barrel.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

"The Hunter is a Killer." words written by a first grader I taught after he pasted a magazine photo on his paper of a beautiful stag standing in the sunshine .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead
Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight75 View Post
I can't say, that I pay very much atention to how people smell but I do see less and less men's deodorant at the store, that actually smells like men's deodorant.
I just get whatever is in the 6-pack at Costco. Smells manly enough for me.

Oh yeah -- once I ran out so I grabbed a new thing of my wife's deodorant. It smelled fine to me and I figured it was all the same.

It wasn't. It definitely started to wear off some later in the day. So the women's deodorant costs more but it looks like they use less of the active ingredients. Maybe the pink packaging is more expensive.

Last edited by Myers; 12-10-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Old 12-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I just get whatever is in the 6-pack at Costco. Smells manly enough for me.

Oh yeah -- once I ran out so I grabbed a new thing of my wife's deodorant. It smelled fine to me and I figured it was all the same.

It wasn't. It definitely started to wear off some later in the day. So the women's deodorant costs more but it looks like they use less of the active ingredients. Maybe the pink packaging is more expensive.
Us girlies don't sweat apparently - we perspire.

Guess our products are less...industrial.

For some reason, I've just remembered 'Falcon Hairspray For Men'. Wow, that's going back a few years....
Old 12-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

I fell in love with a man with a smell. He lived in the adjoining apartment and took a shower everyday before work. Some combination of Dial soap, aftershave and big man wafted into my apartment and made me feel very goooood. Off he'd go to work, and when he came home in the middle of the night, I felt safe again, protected by his presence next door. I was alone and lonely and so was he. He brought me chocolates on Valentines day and took me out and the rest is history, haha. Now he's gone, died at 65.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

I'm so sorry Lucia- but it sounds like you and Grace have had a similar experience. I envy you both for it.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 AM
sdenyer (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 91

It is the estrogen in the plastics which are making men closer to women theses days. this is fact. Closer as in they are becoming women. And not very nice women either. Some of them. Not all of them, just most of them.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

No one mentioned smoking. My father smelled of his cigarettes and smoke. For awhile he smoked cigars and I didn't like that smell. Then he went for a pipe, and that was really nice.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 PM
ClarkTri (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by sdenyer View Post
It is the estrogen in the plastics which are making men closer to women theses days. this is fact. Closer as in they are becoming women. And not very nice women either. Some of them. Not all of them, just most of them.

This is a real problem. Sometimes I even think this is being done deliberately. I don't like it.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:00 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,387

Originally Posted by ClarkTri View Post
This is a real problem. Sometimes I even think this is being done deliberately. I don't like it.
Your concerns have been noted my good man.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe