WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

The News Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Crump (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 254
Default The News Thread

'Thought for a while about starting a news thread, so here it is. I'll post snippets I think may be of interest, and I look forward to reading posts from anyone who wants to do the same. Comments are also welcome of course.

Today's News is Dickens' 201st birthday. Happy birthday Charles, wherever you are.

Our own right hand the chains must shiver.

Last edited by Crump; 02-09-2013 at 05:09 AM..
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...I'll be in rome a few days next week..." mentioned the goblin, not sure of what type of news was expected now, adding "...I don't know if they have WIFI there, but if they do I'll post about my progress...")
Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 199

I'm pretty sure they have WiFi in Rome, flea.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...well if not WIFI, I'll settle for some hot running water for a deep bath and real flushing toilets instead..." replied the goblin, adding "...and chamonix here today is minus -14c, where my mind still is somewhat suffering from a cold and feels like it's a brain barely floating upon the mass of mucus around it, so you can see now how my persona faces these wretched obstacles humans in order to feed the slot here, yet someone has to carry the mantle of forum readership I suppose...", at which point the goblin prudently wrote out a note reading dear humans if my trip to rome turns out the way I think it will I leave my brain to medicine, remembering that when in rome one does as the romans and/or gets done in by them too)

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-17-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254
Default Today's News

New Today

The British Library has added six historic manuscripts, including Beowulf and Leonardo's Notebook, to its online collection. If you can bear the juvenile blogger the BL Medieval Manuscripts blog has more information and links.

Writer's Block? This could be the answer. Writer's Digest are offering a free download of their Writing Prompt Boot Camp. The idea is to get you to subscribe to other stuff of course, but you might find an idea or two in there.

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
not sure of what type of news was expected
I'll be posting stuff to do with writers, writing and literature - ancient, medieval and modern.

Last edited by Crump; 02-10-2013 at 05:44 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

The news

“...tinky winky and laa laa to file for devoice, read all about it...” shouts the voice as the goblin passes the newsagent, instinctively the goblin hands the money to the man and reads yes folks, sordid photos of tinky and dispsy in very compromising positions leave viewers in little doubt about the standard of british children's television today, as the photographer, who has agreed to this interview on the sole condition that his identity remain withheld, said “...well I had planned to take photos of the brighton tattoo seeing that there would a regiment of the queens first morris dancers, and with david camaron as punch in the star studied cast of the houses of paliament pantomine, not to mention those royal donkey rides then, when I just thought that I'd better try out my new canon Eos5D mk2 camera, the one splashed out nearly £2,000 pounds on, to get the hang of it, so cycling about a bit, I found a nice spot and snapped away before tucking into some sandwiches and a thermos of tea, where it was only later when I looked at the pictures again that I then realized the scoop I actually had, and that maybe with the money I'd get I might be able to buy a new pair of bicycle clips, a stick of rock and/or some thermal undies...”, and remember folks, you read it first here, at which point the goblin wondered it this photographer was someone he knew

Last edited by fleamailman; 02-10-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254
Default Today's News

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.
Thus did Lord Byron describe the Destruction of Sennacherib, but now the Assyrians themselves are on the verge of extinction, or at least their language is. One of the last strongholds of Aramaic, the tongue of the Assyrians and once the 'lingua franca' of the Middle East, is the North Side of Chicago. It's here that Geoffrey Khan of Cambridge University is recording the dying 'language of Jesus' for posterity. (Smithsonian Magazine)

Elsewhere, the Independent's columnist thinks that poetry slams are killing poetry and likens them to a 'Darwinian Death Match' - whatever that is.

Oh yes, I also heard, and I kid you not, that scientists have found a previously undiscovered language. I'm now waiting for them to find the undiscovered literature. (Smithsonian Magazine)

Last edited by Crump; 02-11-2013 at 02:42 AM..
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 AM
MiriThompson (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 47

In Judaism, the Kaddish--most people have heard of the Mourner's Kaddish, but the Kaddish is broader than that and we use it throughout our services--is in Aramaic, so I can recite at least that much of the language! We also use Aramaic in a few other places in our services and holidays.

I hope, though, that Aramaic survives as a living tongue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Drew is tired of the compliant pretty boys who have been subbing for him. Michael, that excruciatingly responsible and judgmental accountant, might just provide a real challenge . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to MiriThompson For This Useful Post:
Crump (02-11-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...ours is to witness what the news won't admit..." went the goblin suspecting that things would get worst still, saying "...and besides, why does ourdearmedia look the other way each time, perhaps because they are not in the business of giving us the news for their lame distraction instead, their agenda then, where apart the obvious tectonic awakening today with all sorts of climatic happenings, together with the likelihood that mali will be a reenactment of the vietnam war with the same old french colonialists pulling in UN again for their lost cause of a hand picked democracy at the end of a gun barrel, etc., not to mention this global fiscal fiasco of a rampant currency war in a race to the bottom, oh but no, ourdearmedia is telling us that we're suppose to actually care about is why the pope resigned indeed, I mean who cares then, perhaps he too had had enough of their agenda...", in fact, the goblin was not a writer, any more than he was a journalist neither, but what he was outspoken, where forumland just meant that one could be outspoken, in that one could voice what ourdearmedia was covering up, no wonder then why established media was losing ground to the internet here)

Last edited by fleamailman; 02-12-2013 at 03:57 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254
Default Today's News

If you like reading about writing then this could be for you. Jon Gilbert's new book 'IAN FLEMING' is not a biography of the great man but a bibliography of his works. Gilbert takes us through the manuscripts, proofs and production changes of Fleming's novels. (Times Literary Supplement)

Is writing torture? Phillip Roth seems to think so, according to Avi Steinberg writing in the New Yorker, while Elizabeth Gilbert say's it's "fucking great". Perhaps they're both right?

The British Library celebrates 'Pancake Day' by offering us an extract from Thomas Dawson's 1585 recipe book 'The Good Huswifes Jewell'. If you can make any sense of it you could cook yourself up some authentic Elizabethan pancakes - enjoy.

Last edited by Crump; 02-12-2013 at 04:25 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

The 'Workers Solidarity Movement' of Ireland has announced the 8th Dublin Anarchist Book Fair, to be held on 6th April 2013 at Liberty Hall. Don't miss it folks.

In the Writer Magazine, Phillip Lopate discusses his book 'To Show and To Tell: The Craft of Literary Nonfiction'.

To celebrate Charles Darwin's 204th birthday, which actually was yesterday, the British Library remind us that they have a first edition of On the Origin of Species, perhaps the most influential book ever published.

Had enough of Harry Potter yet? If not you might be interested to know that all seven novels will be re-issued in the US with new covers this September.

Last edited by Crump; 02-13-2013 at 05:37 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

I'm still rolling around in the oldish news on the King in the Carpark, here. I really .. REALLY want a time machine so I can nip back and tell him about it.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Originally Posted by bumhead View Post
I'm still rolling around in the oldish news on the King in the Carpark, here. I really .. REALLY want a time machine so I can nip back and tell him about it.
Yes, one's almost inclined to the suspicion that Henry Tudor had him buried in a future car park as a mark of disrespect. That can't be right, can it?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by Crump View Post
Yes, one's almost inclined to the suspicion that Henry Tudor had him buried in a future car park as a mark of disrespect. That can't be right, can it?
it can't be right, but I wish it was

you can run the vignette easily, no? hank sitting at the big table with his pandering 'advisors', chuckling in olde englishe over how best to debase dick, post mortem. supermarket? no. laundrette? no. council car park? whyyye verrrileye, we wyl maketh it sew!

on second thoughts, that'd be welsh, not olde englishe. about the frenchman. what a bloody jumble your history is, ethnically speaking :/
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Ian Cobain, the guy who revealed how Britain tortured the Nazis, is at it again. In his latest book, Cruel Britannia, he spills the beans on torture methods used by the British from WWII up to the present day. Liverpudlian Cobain is at pains to convince us that British torture was something more than overzealous individuals overstepping their authority, but doesn’t quite succeed according to Calder Walton writing in the Times Literary Supplement.

Sunday Times book reviewer Camilla Long has won Omnivore’s ‘Hatchet Job of the Year’ for her review of Rachel Cusk's Aftermath: On Marriage and Separation. Pictures from Omnivore.

In Chile they're going to dig up Pablo Neruda, the nation's greatest poet, to see if Pinochet had him murdered. (Time Magazine Newsfeed)

Last edited by Crump; 02-14-2013 at 04:13 AM..
Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

The New York Review of Books obituary to writer and philosopher Ronald Dworkin who died yesterday.

US Justice Department will not challenge the merger of Random House and Penguin, which will create the World's largest publisher. (Wall Street Journal)

Here's a bit of fun. Words that don't mean what they sound like.

Last edited by Crump; 02-15-2013 at 06:31 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

If you're a fan of crime fiction then you'll be interested to know that Europa Editions is launching a new imprint World Noir. Michael Reynolds, Europa editor-in-chief, explains why this is not just more of the same. (Publisher's Weekly)

Why are there so few foreign translations on our bookshelves? (Hasn't that got something to do with the enormous volume of English literature?) Anyway, Joanna Zgadzaj and Nancy Roberts of Stork Press think we should have more translated stuff. (Publishing Perspectives)

Ploughshares Magazine has advice on getting your book out of the slush-pile.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Is the Roman Catholic Church becoming more evangelical? George Weigel talks about his new book Evangelical Catholicism due to be published by Basic Civitas Books on 22nd Feb. (The Economist)

John Lanchester's book Capital is a novel not a memoir. Michael Lewis muses on the way London used to be and then gets on to reviewing Lanchester's book, which is soon to be released in paperback. (New York Review of Books).

Laura Sneddon talks to Neal Adams, comic book genius, who she describes as "practically a superhero himself". (New Statesman)

And comic fans mustn't miss the London Super Comic Convention, February 23rd & 24th, at the Excel Centre.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Mighty, Morphing loveahappyending.com has re-invented itself as Loveahappyending Lifestyle Magazine. Want to get read? Then submit an article on crochet, or origami, or dog training, or whatever you do best - they might publish it.

Downton Abbey fan? Julian Fellowes spills the beans to Kinney Littlefield in The Writer Magazine. The noble lord outlines his philosophy as a writer in an interview first published in January but now available subscription free.

Tamim Ansary, Afghan writer working out of San Franciso, says the Soviets created the Taliban. (Economist)

This Shanghai bookshop has to be seen to be believed (Translate button is there if you need it.)

Last edited by Crump; 02-18-2013 at 02:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Crump For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (04-30-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Birthdays coming up? A perfect present for the creative writer who has everything - the pen that writes in three dimensions. (New Statesman)

Hands up who's read Finnegan's Wake, and be honest. Not that easy a read in English, but in Shanghai the Chinese translation is selling like hot cakes. (New York Times)

Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Double Man Booker prize winner Hilary Mantel has been slated by the British press over remarks she made in a recent lecture. Criticising Kate Middleton, however gently, was always going to make Hilary a target for the tabloids - but has she been misrepresented? You can read, or listen to, the entire lecture here and make up your own mind. (London Review of Books)

Writers of historical drama must tread a careful path between fact and dramatisation. Jocelyn Noveck asks "how much fiction is OK?" (Associated Press)

Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Independent booksellers file restrictive practices suit against Amazon and 'big six' publishers over Kindle. (Publishers Weekly)

Cory Doctorow questions whether litigant booksellers have holed their own boat in restrictive practices case.

The Enclosure Acts were a disaster for England's rural population. Jim Crace's new novel is a story of a village community about to be overwhelmed by change. Sam Leith reviews Harvest for the Times Literary Supplement.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Eve Bowen remembers Edward Gorey who would have been eighty eight today. (New York Review of Books)

In her new book Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook operations chief, sets out a manifesto for women in the workplace. Lean In is due be published 11th March. (New York Times)

Koethi Zan talks about her debut crime novel The Never List. (Dead Good)

Goblinproofed your chicken coop yet? Here's the Diagram Prize shortlist for this year's oddest book title. (Guardian)

Last edited by Crump; 02-22-2013 at 03:11 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

The Wall Street Journal discloses manipulation of the best-sellers list.

Peter Dimock, whose second novel, George Anderson: Notes for a Love Song in Imperial Time, is due to be published next week, tells us about ten books that re-wrote history. (Publishers Weekly)

Is this a good use of poetry?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Dennis Mahoney, writer of the novel Fellow Mortals, tells us how he got his agent. (Writers Digest)

Maurice Sendak died last Spring shortly after completing his final work, My Brotherís Book. Antonia Saxon talks about this homage to the author's brother. (Publishers Weekly)

Ever known meanings to get lost in translation? Try some of these howlers from blogger Catherine Christaki.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

You've gotta try this Oscars literary quiz in the LA Times. If you get all ten answers right (without cheating) pop a post on this thread and let us know; I only got five out of ten.

Staying on the Oscars, it's noteworthy that Argo won both best film and best adapted screenplay. I haven't read the book yet, but I'm going to.

Anna Baddeley describes self publishing as a revolution for writers but says "To get noticed, you either need to be very lucky or spend every waking hour manically self‑promoting." (Guardian)

Which means that Chuck Sambuchino's advice on How to Publicize Your Book may come in useful.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

From Homer to Bernard Cornwell, Joseph Brassey discovers the most memorable fight scenes in literature. (Huffington Post)

Helen Epstein asks if Obama is Failing the African Spring (New York Review of Books)

Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Crump (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 254

Toby Lichtig looks at Jewish life in modern Germany. (Times Literary Supplement)

It's not too late to enter a short story for Aberdeen University's Toulmin Prize. Can be in Lallans or Doric if you'd like a change from writing in English, and your story should connect with North East Scotland.
Name the books that helped you
  On the path you've trod.
Do you use a little g
  When you write of God?
(R. Kipling)
And now fifty unpublished Kipling poems have been discovered. (Grauniad Books)

Is Pluto's fourth moon Vulcan? "Not yet," says New Scientist.

Last edited by Crump; 02-27-2013 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Just made Spock into a clickable image.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crump For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (04-30-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 919

Originally Posted by Crump View Post
Toby Lichtig looks at Jewish life in modern Germany. (Times Literary Supplement)

It's not too late to enter a short story for Aberdeen University's Toulmin Prize. Can be in Lallans or Doric if you'd like a change from writing in English, and your story should connect with North East Scotland.
Name the books that helped you
  On the path you've trod.
Do you use a little g
  When you write of God?
(R. Kipling)
And now fifty unpublished Kipling poems have been discovered. (Grauniad Books)

Is Pluto's fourth moon Vulcan? "Not yet," says New Scientist.
Nice one Crump this is a great thread. I enjoyed this R. Kipling poem.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 03-02-2013 at 01:38 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
Crump (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,064

("...I'm subscribed now..." went the goblin who wished to thank Crump for coming up with this interesting thread)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Crump (02-27-2013)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe