WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets

Writing Markets Calls for submissions, paying and non-paying markets.

Looking for writing partner

Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 AM
Arin Lee (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13
Default Looking for writing partner

POST CLOSED: Admin feel free to scrunch into a ball and throw in the appropriate recycling bin.

My manuscript is written and edited and now I'm ready for another run-through to really polish it up, but I need help. An outside perspective is invaluable. I'm looking for someone who can commit to reading the entire thing and helping me edit.
I don't want or expect this to be a one way thing.
I'm looking for someone who's at the same stage that I am so I can, in turn, read their manuscript and help with editing.

My manuscript is for a children's/teen fantasy fiction entitled THE DECADENT PRINCE, currently at 70,000 words.
The first (unedited) chapter can be found here: http://www.writersbeat.com/showthrea...ecadent+prince

I'm looking for manuscripts within the fantasy or sci-fi genre, preferably children's or teen literature but I will read adult fiction if the story and writing is alluring enough.

If you're interested post the title (if you have one), genre, rough word count and a brief synopsis and/or link to any posted work.

Warning: Only post if you are committed. If you can't stand kids/teen fantasy fiction or what I've posted then it's likely you won't be able to get through an entire 70,000 manuscript and unless your work is blindingly good I don't want to help edit your work and neglect my own.

Last edited by Arin Lee; 04-16-2012 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: moved to other section/post
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

How would we know what is or is not blindingly good, as we all think our own work is blindingly good?

And I could move this to the Cafe, if you'd like. Your request might get more attention there.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 AM
CandraH

What about posting a request in this thread -

Novel exchange and beta reader request thread

There's got to be a few people in there who'll be at the same stage as you.

P.S. It might be a good idea to add a synopsis or rough description of what your story is about so people know what they're getting into.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Or that, too. Yes.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Redlorry

Your title might be a bit misleading. From your post you are looking for a beta reader. You don't want a writing partner, you're not looking to collaborate with anyone on a writing project.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Arin Lee (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

Thanks for the posts, you're all correct of course.
Didn't even know there was a beta reader post what section is it in? (thanks for the link by the way). Consider this post closed and I'll move my request over there.

As for "writing partner" I'm not beyond some collaborative work.

And blindingly good? That would be in the eye of the beholder. In the publishing business surely it's not all about believing your work is fantastic, but getting others to agree with you.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Just how would a callaborative story start out with two willing writers? I mean, after some parameters, plot, characters and issues have been worked out.

I'm sure it would be tough with two "collab first timers", but what would be a good way to go about it? Each take a side? A chapter? Character grouping? Or perhaps a grind it out every step of the way?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Arin Lee (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

The only collab. work I know any details about was between an author and illustrator (Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell: The Edge Chronicles). I think it would differ greatly depending on the writers, their personalities and writing strengths etc
It would also depend on the story they wanted to tell.
It may be that the story could easily be split so different parts (separate chapters) could be written by different people. Or it might be that they want to write about certain characters and once the characters personalities were clearly defined they could each write any part of the story.

As with any writing I guess it would pull together in the editing phase where differing styles could be blended.
It may be that someone has created some characters that have a story but don't know how to tell it and they find someone else who is interested in the story willing to write it for them.

There's probably quite a few different ways a collab. project could happen. Two people working together could inspire and motivate each other to create something that both alone couldn't dream to make. Or it could all go horribly wrong with the two never speaking again at best and a huge legal row at worst.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Originally Posted by Arin Lee View Post
There's probably quite a few different ways a collab. project could happen. Two people working together could inspire and motivate each other to create something that both alone couldn't dream to make. Or it could all go horribly wrong with the two never speaking again at best and a huge legal row at worst.
I am so glad you hit on exactly what I have been thinking for ages. I would take a good friendship over a book deal any day. But to be inspired and motivated, creating a killer story together, trumps(or atleast equals, for me) the fear of never knowing if you didn't try it once or twice.

You would perhaps know within 2,500 words or less if you could mesh and continue with each other.

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets