WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets

Writing Markets Calls for submissions, paying and non-paying markets.

Illustrator looking for writer for game project

Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Miguelito (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Illustrator looking for writer for game project

Hello everyone,

I'm a graphics artist dabbling in indie gaming (see some of my work here), and instead of poaching existing stories and plots, would like to ask if any aspiring/professional writer would be interested in creating a plot and story for a gaming project.

I know a few good programmers, but would like to keep the game focussed on graphics and dialogue - imagine any old-school graphic adventure or Japanese virtual novel-style game (Phoenix Wright et al.).

- Content -
I realize this will sound very odd, but I can imagine any kind of genre, as long as it's suited for interactive storytelling (i.e. the protagonist's role should be in some way central and active, not only observing), and a good basis for interesting dialogue.
The story doesn't have to be extremely long, sprawling and epic - a short game would be just as nice.

I'll design the characters and visual style from scratch based on the story and atmosphere, and would be happy to add my suggestions as well, unifying the plot and visuals to an extent.

- Pay -
I've mostly been working on noncommercial projects until now, so please don't expect great renumeration. Should the project look nice enough to deserve a commercial release, we'll of course find a fair solution, depending on how many people will be working on the final product.
But in either case, please don't expect a huge commercial release and immeasurable riches over night.

...That's it.
If you're interested, I'd be happy to hear from you (PM or reply would be nice), and we can discuss all the details.

Regards!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM
CandraH

Just wanted to drop in and say, cool art.

Miguelito. Little Michael?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Miguelito (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Miguelito (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Thanks for the nice words
And yes, Little Michael, or the nickname for the Archangel, or a crack-like Mexican candy.

Here's a few more samples, maybe more relevant and specific than just my blog link:

http://www.electric-zombie.com/
http://hussinger.blogspot.com/2010/0...g-of.html#more
http://www.electric-zombie.com/ca/prom4.png

Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM
SyntaxError (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 106

Wow! This is some stunning artwork, as good if not better than anything I've seen in a game recently.

Do you have any kind of story in mind that you would like? I'm familiar with Phoneix Wright and I'm thinking that kind of game, but darker and edgier, maybe with some supernatural undertones. Something set in a slightly skewed universe. Is this the kind of thing you're thinking of? I'm trying to think of other interactive games, like Hotel Dusk, Another Code etc. Is this the type of thing?

Out of interest, having you been sending a portfolio of your work out at all? Because it really is stunning.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Miguelito (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

So, err.. this is a response to copenhagen_dipz, as my post count doesn't appear to allow PMs to anyone yet. Sorry about the mess, but yeah.

Sorry copenhagen too, I hope you don't mind if I post this in public. Basically, you asked me about my vision for the game, and these are the rough guidelines I could come up with:

Quote:

First of all, with a text-intensive game I can imagine two genres first and foremost: graphic adventure (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango) or graphic novel (Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick). Both would require different approaches.

Adventure: Story would be based around characters and puzzles. The player acts relatively freely in a world where they can collect information and objects, and apply those to overcome obstacles and open new venues.
Tim Schaefer, a brilliant man, has released his design doc for Grim Fandango to the public, where you can see this process in excruciating detail. It's a long read, but essential for game writing and a good resource for regular writers in general: http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resou..._small.pdf.zip

Novel: Imagine a theatrical play, meaning the whole affair is basically a dialog-based story with expressive visuals. This genre is interesting to me if there are branching paths and the player has some freedom of directing the story, not just passively taking it in.
So the guideline here would be: A theatrical play in an interesting world, where the protagonist would be free to take differing paths. The story should thus have multiple endings, and intelligent actions by the player (showing foresight, combination, and an eye for the other people) should reward them with a positive ending.

Those would be the basic approaches I can see.
Any other game mechanics can be added to this as the plot is created (i.e. some sort of reward/punishment mechanics, collectibles, risk factors etc.). These can be very fun to think of, but need to be suited to the plot.

While these concepts sound rather huge and serious, I'd very much like to begin with something small-scale, as this would be a first for me too. So no Goethe or Homer, but something of a little one-scene quip.
As an extreme example, the story could begin with "a guy walks into a bar", and the game is set only in that building.

Quote End

This would be my idea of a good start. Should anyone feel this could be a nice exercise, or even have a good plot suited for one of these, I'd be happy to hear from you..................... via e-mail or reply, not PM.
pixitu (*) gmail (*) com
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Miguelito (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

And Syntax, that is a great direction for me.

It's not out yet in English (or is it?), but the Phoenix Wright makers did a new game called "Ghost Trick" which absolutely blew me away in terms of writing. It was a real revelation to me and showed me that games could have a new and interesting story, if someone with brains and a heart did it.

Not to spoil too much, but the game begins with your death. You're nothing but a soul being able to possess objects, and communicate with people who've had a near-death experience in their lives.
What you find out throughout the game is a new and extremely intricate world of rules that death, and dying, entails, and which are masterfully intertwined with a whodunit plot spanning a single night. You learn that you can use telephone lines to travel, manipulate time before the death of another person, and that a soul, human or animal, can be much, much stronger than physical appearance might suggest.
It was a game where I honestly never knew what happened the next moment, and that made me very happy.

Sorry for the incredibly long post and the blatant advertising - I assure you I don't work for the company, I swear.

So yes, any inspiration and we'll work something out. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by Miguelito; 01-03-2011 at 01:21 AM..
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
SyntaxError (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 106

I have to get that game!

I'm going to check out the link you posted, should be interesting. I love games and I love writing, but know nothing about writing for games! I need to have a think about some scenarios, do a bit of research and get back to you.

In the meantime, good luck!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:58 AM
RobinMorningsta (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default A word from Robin Morningstar

Hi, I'm Robin Morningstar (Wonder Boy, Chakan The Forever Man, Contra, a pre-Disney Prince Of Persia, google me or look me up on IMDB). This sounds like a job for me. More importantly, it sounds like fun! I can't PM yet. Just punched in because of you actually. Aloha!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 AM
vashti (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 16

I shall have a look see as I could be interested in writing for this format in the future. How much creative control will the writer have over the design of the ‘toons’ and background etc and what age group would the game be aimed at? Or will the first 'game' become a showpiece rather than for actual game-wide-play distribution?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Miguelito (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

As written in my original post, this is not a commercial recruitment post, and I'm neither planning nor promising any sort of monetary gain. So no, there would be no worldwide release in the sense of publishing an SKU to store shelves.

This is mainly intended to be an experiment and a passion project, and a small one at that. Basically, if anyone ever toyed with the idea of writing an interactive storyline and would like to have someone contribute their ideas and visualize it, then I'd very much like to start such an experiment together.

And the writer would have full control over the story part, and myself over the design. However, both would plan the whole thing out together and agree on it, otherwise it wouldn't be a healthy collaboration.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Daggepagge (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Musicproducer/composer

Hi! I totally love your drawings and I Id like to be a part of your project if it's still "living"? I'm a music producer/composer from sweden.. So if you need any kind of cinematic music, sound effects or so just send me a mail to dag.lundberg at hotmail dot com

Cheers
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Charlotte (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Hi,
I have an idea for a game but it's still configuration. I am at uni and want to do this project. I like your art work and it would make a definite positive slant on my idea if we were to combine them.
But as I said I haven't finished it.
Are you still interested?
thanx for reading.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Starchaser3000 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 8

Friends, family, and various people on the internet have told me that my story reads like a mix of a video game akin to WoW, Everquest, Skyrim, with violence and action similar to anime with fantasy themes like Lodoss War for example. I'm not sure that is a concept you would like to do. If you did, I would just give you total creative control and not expect any money in return anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets