WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Simon

Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch
Default Simon

My name is Simon Graves. Well, it was. I don't know, do you have a name anymore if you're legally dead?

Yeah, I know. Funny having a last name like that. If you think it's so funny, why don't you get caught in a nuclear blast sometime and see how you like it?

Anyway, back to talking about me. I was in my mid-twenties. Now? Since it's been two decades since the Syndicate decided to blow up downtown in order to get rid of a Romanian...but you don't really need to know about that right now. Suffice it to say that it's, technically, been 46 years since my mom popped me out into this world.

Before I died, and, for the record, that's still weird as hell to say, I was barely five and half foot tall. I tended to describe myself a a little pudgy, but most people just called me fat. Admittedly I stopped giving a rat's ass how I looked at the end there. I was just trying to make it through another boring-ass day in an increasingly boring-ass life doing extremely boring-ass work.

Now? Things have...changed. I'm about 7 foot tall. I would ask how that's possible, but I'm scared that damn bird will actually tell me. I'm in extremely good physical condition. And that's just when I'm being me, not doing anything special.

According to the bird, there's something called Cloaking that I am capable of. That adds another foot to my height, for all that I'm less visible that way. It also makes me scary-powerful. Ever heard of telepathy? Telekinesis? Teleportation? The ability to destroy the hounds of hell with nothing more than a thought? Yeah, I can do all that when I'm Cloaked. Of course, it also means I'm easy to trace by the forces the Dark sends out after me, which is why I don't do it that often.

What else? Oh yeah. My formerly nearly buzzed hair managed to grow out to a little past my shoulders between my death and regenesis, and it turned pure gray. My eyes turned a similar color, although they're a little darker.

My voice changed too. Instead of the nasal twang I've hated my entire life, it has become a pleasant, slightly sensual, baritone. I've heard the term "melodious" applied to my voice.

To top off the major weirdness I'm dealing with? It turns out that I'm a full blood Water Siren, descended from one who took the name Ondine, from which Hans Christian Andersen apparently based his Little Mermaid. And it also turns out that I'm apparently the "Chosen One". According to the bird I'm the final Champion for the Shadow Realm. But no pressure.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Nice to meet you, Simon! Who's this bird you're talking about? Because it sure seems to know a lot.

And what's this about being the final Champion?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51

You ever seen a peregrine falcon? He kind of looks like one of them, but a bit bigger. He calls himself Seker, and says it's both the name he was given as well as the name of his race. And, yes, according to beak-face, he's the same Seker you find in ancient mythology. So he's been around for a while.

As for your second question? How much time do you have? Probably not much, so I'll give you the quick version. According to the bird, not to mention the Valkyrie (which is another story for another time), there's been a war, according to them it is The War, since before time began. The Light and the Dark basically fighting to see who gets control of everything that is.
Lucky me, I get recruited into the Shadow. I didn't ask for it, but I guess it's marginally better than being dead. Anyway, the Shadow takes the side of the Light in this whole thing, but the Light doesn't really care for the Shadow. Mainly because we use tools, weapons and tricks that the Light would shun- apparently the guys in charge are all like Ghandi. They'd rather die than use violence. However, the Dark is the only one we really worry about, since they're the only ones who actively attack us. (The Light may get its panties in a bunch, but they don't hurt us even if they don't help.)
Now, the Champion thing? Yeah, apparently each of the 3 picks someone (in some cases, some thing) to be the focus of their efforts to defeat whichever side they're targeting. This being gets all kinds of power ups as a result, which I guess helps compensate for the fact that they also get this huge ass target painted on their forehead. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)
As for being the final one? I'm assuming that kind of speaks for itself- we're in the final "hours" of the War and the Shadows apparently chose me to be the final weapon they aim at the Dark.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

That definitely sounds exciting. Although I don't think I'd like to come face to face with this Seker friend of yours. Do you have any other friends or are you pretty much all alone? And are your friends alive or dead?

How did you die, by the way, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51

Well, it's been twenty years. Pretty much everybody I knew is dead. Not that I ever really had friends in my old life. I just didn't much care one way or the other for people, so people tended to stay away from me.

As for how I died? I thought I mentioned that- the Syndicate decided to blow up downtown in order to kill this geriatric Romanian. I happened to be in range. Unfortunately, for the city, the Syndicate used a nuke to get the job done.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

So are you, like, undead? Like the way zombies are undead? And are there others like you?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51

Zombies? No. I didn't get bit by either a First Child or a Latter Born vampire.

No. I was dead. Now I'm not. It's all a bit complicated. I got obliterated by that bomb- I can still smell my hair burning and feel my flesh melting from the heat. The Shadow apparently got my remains, or at least whatever DNA they could, and brought me back- better than I had been.

And no. I'm it. That's the deal with being the Last Champion. I don't get to have people who know what I'm going through.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

What do you have to do as the Last Champion? How do you win?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51

I'm not sure what you're asking me. What do I "do" as the final Champion? Pretty much try not to get killed, and try to kill as many of the Dark's servants/Champions as I can. It's not that difficult, really.
Of course, if I do get myself killed...the universe is pretty much screwed, since the Light is populated entirely by Ghandi types who would rather be slaughtered than put up a fight.

And that's how I "win." Kill them before they kill me.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics