WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Hadrian

Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Saving Annabel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Hadrian

Hello, I'm Agent Hadrian. I work for the Guardians. I'm 17 yrs. old and my 18th birthday is coming around the corner. I'm male, have short black hair, and I wear contacts lenses. I'm not blind or anything. Everybody must have the same hair and eye color in Norana. With the contacts, my eyes are brown. But my natural eye color is green. I love learning. And I'm betrothed to a girl named Esha, who is the same age and works for the Agency also.

I call Norana home, but you would call it a dystopia. In Norana, individuality is outlawed. We all must look the same. The only colors we are allowed to know are: white, black, and brown. Males wear white shirt and pants. Females wear white dresses.

The Guardians of the Mundane control everything, and they come up with the rules. They decide who we take the Vow (you'd call it marriage) with, our jobs, and etc. I work for them. My job is basically like a cop; I make sure everyone abides the rules, write a ticket, put people in Reformatory, or arrest a Rebel.

I thought the Guardians knew what was best. For years, I wanted to be a one of them. When I turned 17, I wanted to take the Vow with Esha and live the way the Guardians wanted me to. But what I wanted changed when my older brother, Aeryn, commited suicide.

When he died, I blame the Guardians and vowed to avenge my brother. So, I decide to join the Rebels but remained an agent. I stayed an agent because I was afraid for my family's well being, I could get inside information, and was afraid of getting caught. I couldn't just quit being an agent; Norana wouldn't let me.

The Rebels of Individuality hide in the Wasteland (The Waste, for short) and do whatever that expresses themselves. At first, they didn't like me because of my job. But they warmed up to me eventaully. They taught me about colors, music, drawing, dancing, and other fun things.

Arden, one of the head leaders, arranged me to be a Scavenger, someone who scours The Waste for anything that would express one's individuality. I got paired up with Corelette, who happens to be Arden's little sister. Eventually, we fell in love; however, Arden wasn't happy when he learned my feelings for Core. I understand why because I'm betrothed to Esha. Core will have a Betrothed when she turns 17, and I'll take the Vow when I'm 18.

I love Esha, but I also love Corelette.

Last edited by Saving Annabel; 01-06-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM
SKDNY (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 7

Hi Hadrian.

I am curious, why do you blame the Guardians for your brother's death?

You didn't speak much of Esha. Does she love you in return? Because you are betrothed doesn't necessarily mean either of you love each other or is that what love is, being betrothed? Did you know each other before being betrothed?

Best of luck to the rebels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Saving Annabel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

Hello, SKDNY.

I blamed the Guardians because I visited his bedroom and saw that it was decorated with so many colors and drawings. I also found the secret stash of his poems hidden under the bed. I never knew until that moment that he was creative. Because of the strict no-individality laws, he couldn't express himself and gave up.

He was my older brother as well as my role model. When he died, I just...lost it.

Yes, Esha loves me in return. She's also an affectionate person. She is always touching and kissing me, even during work.

We knew each other before being betrothed; we go to the same school.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
SKDNY (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 7

Does she know that you are allied with the rebels? Is she willing to cross over to the other side? Or is this something you cannot discuss with her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Saving Annabel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

No, she doesn't know I'm a Rebel. And there's no way she'll ever become one; she doesn't have eyes like mine and sees the flawed Norana the way I do.

I could never discuss it with her. I feel like she wouldn't understand. Besides, it would put the other Rebels at risk, and she might arrest me.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Willoughby (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 7

What do you mean that Esha doesn't have eyes like yours? How does that change her perception? And how do you know that Esha would react like this, given that you don't speak to her about it? Do you think she would be hurt if she knew about Core? Or would she feel smug, knowing that she would have you regardless of the fact you may have feelings for someone else because she is your Betrothed?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics