WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Penelope Kidd

Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Penelope Kidd

Hello! My name is Penelope, but my best friend Orthelle calls me Pen. So I guess you can, too.

I call myself a soldier, but if you talked to the government I worked for, they'd call me a rookie child agent still in need of training, and a growth spurt or two. Why? Well, I'm 14 years old. It's a long story, but I never knew my parents. They died before I had the chance to meet them, much less become overly attached. So I try not to spend my time feeling sorry for myself about the fact that I'm an orphan, because when I was only a couple years old, I was taken to the Admedian government, and I've been with them ever since.

They decided they were going to train me. And when I became old enough, they promised they'd put me to good use. I always used to daydream about fighting on the front lines, defending my country to the death. And I'm not going to pretend I understand my own feeling, but I think I wanted that life even though at the same time I was terrified of it.

But I still like to believe I'm a soldier that's worth just as much as any man that fought on the front lines of the Admedia-Basalusan wars. And it's okay. Because even though the government always seemed to think I was a little behind, or a little undertrained, I was the one that showed them up in the end.

One day, I decided to take things into my own hands. And that's how I met Orthelle Belevard, the boy who, with the help of his brother, would change the world. And almost put an end to it.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch

Hey, Pen. Let's just assume I know nothing about what's going on- why are you fighting the Basalusans and why is it your government accepts someone so young into their military?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Oh, we aren't fighting the Basalusans anymore. Those bloody wars ended before I was born. For now, at least. The truth is Admedia has been fighting with its neighboring country to the west, Basalusa, ever since Admedia and the rest of the Great Four were created, nearly 700 years ago.

But I still want to become a great soldier. Even if it isn't for that backstabbing Admedia I happen to work for. I want to fight. Maybe then people won't think I'm so useless anymore...

And as for your question about my age: the government has been taking children in for a while now. It's a little illegal, but then again, Admedia makes the rules, and if they want to put kids in their military, that's their bidding. Believe me, the government's doing a lot of stuff way worse than that.

The main reason why they put children in the military, though, is for this thing called the Child Upgrade Program. It's when kids with handicaps (for example, being blind, paralyzed, or being chronically ill) are put into training to evaluate how much promise they have as future soldiers. If they seem useful, the government will pay for all these high tech operations to make them better and they turn them into world class soldiers for the Admedian military.

I don't have any handicaps. But since I had no family to take care of me, and no friends who wanted to, the government got their hands on me and have been training me ever since. That is, until I ran away with Orthelle and decided never to come back.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51

Was there a particular reason you ran off? Not that I think I can blame you, but I'm just wondering what made you decide to get away.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Well, I wanted to impress my superiors, and I wasn't showing much promise. I was starting to fear that they'd kick me out of the program entirely. That's when I found out about Orthelle Belevard.

The year I ended up running away, a boy named Corbet Belevard somehow got into Central Tower, the capital offices of the Admedian government. He broke into the meeting room, according to news reports, pointed a gun at a foreign queen, Lady Zipphora of Tionysus (our neighbor country to the east). The government took him into custody, but I found proof that it wasn't Corbet Belevard who had committed the crime. It was his twin brother. Orthelle.

So I set off to find this Orthelle, hoping that if I brought him back, I would get the recognition I wanted. When I met him, that's when I found out about all the terrible things the government had been doing. Genetic experimentation, on both humans and animals. Shady deals with foreign countries. Lying, cheating. And I was in the middle of it all. I found out what really happened the night of the incident at Central Tower.

I joined Orthelle's cause, and that's when my life really got crazy.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51

You're certain Orthelle is telling the truth? Not that I necessarily doubt it, but did he give you any proof?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Actually, I was the one who found him when he'd left his family. I've been traveling with him for two years and I've seen the proof myself. He didn't want to stay with me at first but it was winter when I first found him and he was half frozen and I kind of nursed him back to health, and after that we just stuck together.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics