WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Nikki Arana

Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Blackharon (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Nikki Arana

Where do I begin?

I could tell you about my boring life. Regular, plain, unremarkable me. I lived in a tiny apartment in Montreal. I worked long hours and hated my boss. Exactly the same as everyone else in the world.

Until I was mugged. My purse was taken and in the process the man stabbed me in the gut. By the time I was found and taken to the hospital, all my blood ran out. They tried to save me, but couldnít. I died.

Only I didnít. Minutes later I strolled out of the hospital like nothing had happened. Only everything had changed, everything seemed louder, brighter, more tangible. Eventually I was told that I was different and there were more people like me. I found out that I had a life before the one that Iím experiencing now.

I was called Alexis then. She lived hundreds of years before me until she decided to forget everything. I havenít figured out why she did thatÖ and she doesnít remember either.

She talks to me. In my head. I hear her, and she hears my thoughts. Its rather disturbing, knowing Iím never alone with my thoughts.

Alexis is really aggressive. Once, she took control of my body to fight off some other people who are different. They didnít like me, and I donít know why. I suspect it has something to do with Alexis, but she isnít telling.

The people who are different call themselves Eternals. They donít die. They live forever unless their source is taken from their body. Eternalsí sources are black crystals, located somewhere in the neck. The source gives them heightened awareness and special powers too. The powers seem like fantasy, like a magic spell. To use that spell, an eternal has to sing a very specific tune. Alexis taught me one that causes excruciating pain to everyone nearby me. I donít really like anything mystic and don't like the pain that the song caused a friend of mine when she used it.

What am I supposed to do about Alexis? I don't know if I should fight the Eternals that don't like me for a reason that I don't know.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to plain, unremarkable me.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM
MJFaraldo (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Hi Nikki. Tell me what a typical day in your life is, now that you share it with Alexis, what do you do? Do normal people see you? Why don't you look into Alexis past? Maybe she's in a history book somewhere... Anyways, nice meeting you and hope you can get Alexis to share her story as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJFaraldo For This Useful Post:
Blackharon (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Blackharon (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Lately I've been training quite a bit. A nice Eternal named David has been helping me through the transition back to being a useful member of Eternal society. He's been teaching me history, how to fight, how to run and more of those damned songs.

Ecaterina is a leader of a group of Eternals that David is a part of. Occasionally she and I talk, but she always asks questions about Alexis and why she forgot whatever it was that she forgot and gets angry when I don't have the answers. She's a scary woman, you can tell the people that follow her fear her. What kind of person instills fear in something that can't die?

Of course normal people see me! There's no such thing as ghosts... is there? No, Eternals like me are just like normal people. We move among them trying to hide our special traits from their weaker minds. David said that we used to be gods among the mortals; Ra, Venus and Thor were all Eternals. Ever since the mortal's "enlightenment" we haven't been enjoying their servitude.

Alexis' memories sometimes come out in dreams. I vividly remember one dream about a war against Greece, and vaguely remember one about a wolf. Both have been very bloody, filled with body parts and gore that I would expect in the movies. I'm not sure she'd let me try to study her. She's threatened to drive me crazy if she doesn't get her way a couple of times since my... death. Sadly, since she knows what I'm thinking, I don't think it's possible for me to sneak anything past her.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Zumester (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Are all of the Eternals like you? Do they all have "past lives" inside of them that talk to them? And what are theirs like?

What about your friends? Does anybody else know about you being an Eternal or is it a secret? You talked about the humans "enlightenment". I'm sure that the hospital staff were concerned when you bled out and still managed to walk out alive!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zumester For This Useful Post:
Blackharon (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Blackharon (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Not all Eternals have a past self in the back of their head all the time like me. Not all of them forgot who they were, and that seems to be a requirement to be afflicted the way I am with Alexis. David tells me he’s seen it before, but not as bad as I have it. Many of us, the ones who forgot, barely notice the other person in their heads. David supposes that it was because Alexis was a powerful immortal before she forgot and remains more powerful than I today.

My mortal friends wouldn’t believe me if I told them, until today would you have believed my tale? Besides, Ecaterina would be even more pissed off than usual if I did. Ever since the mortals’ “enlightenment”, Eternals have been hiding their existence for the most part. A few expose themselves at key points in history to influence the mortals, but those are carefully staged coups.

By “enlightenment” I mean their lack of belief in gods. Eternals lost their final stronghold in mortals’ beliefs when the Church lost its power over the people during the Renaissance. Once our Saints were no longer worshipped, we entered this stage of mortal evolution… a stage where we were not in direct control over their future. That concept is terrifying to many of the oldest Eternals. I secretly cheer the mortals on.

You guessed right Mr. Zomester was it? The doctor and nurse that were in the room when I sat up looked shocked. I had just been pronounced dead after all. If I were in their place, I would have tried to stake me in the heart like a vampire! I always watched too many horror movies though. The nurse kept whispering “it’s a miracle” over and over again. The doctor wasn’t nearly as shocked as her, and when he regained his composure he gave me a card for a counselor. I felt fine so I ditched it on the way out of the hospital.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics