WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Aislin Kay

Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
J.McGraw (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9
Default Aislin Kay

Hello, I'm Aislin [Ashlin] Kay. Until a month ago, I earned my living as a baker, in a small town called Altran. My parents were bakers, and they had their own shop in the town where I was born, but father had his debts, so when they died I lost the shop. I was lucky to have a friend out in Altran who took me on as his apprentice. That was twelve years ago, and he's died since, leaving me the shop and all the work that went with it. Now I'm gone, I guess the shop will go to my apprentice. To be honest, I left in too much of a hurry to sort anything out.

Obviously, I have a secret. There are few people in this world who don't. Though perhaps you need a bit of background first. We have a bad king. We've had a string of them, in fact. No nobleman has ever cared too much about the folk living on his land, but things are worse now than they've ever been. The kingdom is dying. As a people, we spent years in denial, believing that the next king would fix things, but about thirty years ago, something finally snapped. People began to rebel.

When I was 15, my best friend Sefton and I were recruited into the rebellion, and this is where my secret comes in. I work to gather intelligence for the rebels. But I have particular skills which help me get to the obscurest bits of information. Not even Sefton knows this, so please keep it to yourself. When I sleep, I can see into other's dreams, enter them, manipulate then, and learn things they would never tell a soul if they were awake. It's... complicated, of course. And it's not magic, or at least, it's not like any magic the University knows of. I was tested when I was young, and the mages a proud of the fact they never miss a talent.

So there it is. I hope that's a suitable introduction. It's strange, really - I've never been so open with anyone before. I hope you understand the trust I'm putting in your discretion. There are people who would give an awful lot to know what I've just told you. My life, friend, is in your hands now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Thanks for your trust. What do you think would happen should the news of your power get out? Do you practice often or spend all your time hiding it? Do you understand the power you have? How do you keep yourself safe whilst asleep?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 08-04-2012, 01:31 PM
J.McGraw (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Thanks for your trust. What do you think would happen should the news of your power get out? Do you practice often or spend all your time hiding it? Do you understand the power you have? How do you keep yourself safe whilst asleep?
If the news got out? I think there would be a witch hunt. It's such an intrusive thing that I do, if people learned about it, they wouldn't trust me. And you can't blame them. I don't pry into the lives of my friends, but why should they believe me if I tell them that? The thought that someone can learn all your secrets, and you can't stop it, is terrifying.

I use my gift a lot. Well, I have to, or the rebellion wouldn't stand a chance. We're outmanned and undertrained - the information I collect is almost the only thing keeping us going. It's not difficult to hide, either, since people don't realise what I'm doing, even when I'm in their dreams. All I have to say is that I can't reveal where my information came from. No one expects me to tell them anyway, so it's easy.

I understand my gift as much as anyone can, I think. My mother was the same, so she helped me learn how to control it. Honestly, I think I spend more time trying to justify it to myself than using it. It's so easy to plant a suggestion into a person's sleeping mind that I could do almost anything, so it's important I make rules and keep to them. But there are times I wonder if I'm doing the right thing, using my gift like I do. All I have is the knowledge that I'm doing it for the survival of the kingdom, and never for myself. That sounds terribly pompous, I'm sure, but there's no other way I can live with what I do.

Sleeping is always a trial. When I use my gift, I'm asleep but aware of what's going on - it's similar to lucid dreaming - but I can't survive on that kind of sleep. When I sleep properly, my dreams seem to spread out around me, so if I sleep too close to others, I enter their dreams without meaning to. It gives me such a headache, and the other person has nightmares, so I have to make sure I'm alone when I sleep. My biggest fear is that my dreams will infect someone else's, and they'll do to me what I've done to others - see my innermost secrets. I suppose that circles back to the first question. I know my own fear about someone seeing into my mind. How could I expect others to feel differently, if they knew?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Myaora (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via MSN to Myaora Send a message via Skype™ to Myaora

You can count on me to keep your secret a secret Aislin. How do you feel about the rebellion? Has the rebellion, in your opinion, managed to change things for the better (if at all)? Do you need to be close to your target to be able to see and manipulate his or her dreams? (For instance, would you be able to see into my dreams from 5 miles away) Do both you as well as the target need to be asleep for the technique to work?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM
J.McGraw (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Myaora View Post
You can count on me to keep your secret a secret Aislin. How do you feel about the rebellion? Has the rebellion, in your opinion, managed to change things for the better (if at all)? Do you need to be close to your target to be able to see and manipulate his or her dreams? (For instance, would you be able to see into my dreams from 5 miles away) Do both you as well as the target need to be asleep for the technique to work?
Thank you, Myaora. When I first started out, the rebellion wasn't much more than a distraction for me. Kilmerrow, my home town, is controlled by a decent Lord, so the reasons for the rebellion didn't mean much to me. Now, though, it's my life. I've seen such awful things done by men who believe they're above the law that I can't sit back and do nothing. We've not made a big difference so far, but we're still growing. This isn't a war we can win overnight, and I have plenty of ideas for the future, so I'm hopeful.

If I'm using my gift, distance is important - the further away someone is, the harder it is for me to interact with them. But it also depends on the mind I'm looking into. Some folk have very open minds, usually the folk who are very open in their waking lives. It's easier for me to see into an open mind, even if it's further away, than a closed mind. The easiest minds to see into are those of mages, but I never try to do that. Mages are more likely to realise I'm there, and I don't know what they might do if they caught me.

If I want to deal with their unconscious mind, then my target has to be asleep, yes. But I've found that, when I'm awake, I can get a feel for what a person is thinking. It's not nearly as useful, but I can sometimes get folk to open up to me if I can use that sense to ask leading questions. I use certain herbs to help - if I burn a bit of calming wormwood, or brew a tea from a stimulant like rosemary, I can change a person's mood enough to let them open up to me. I mostly use that to help folk through traumas though, or with personal problems, rather than collect information. There's a great deal of trust involved, and folk wouldn't talk to me if they thought I'd spill their secrets to the next person I met.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics