WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

Ravenwood (part 1)

Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
vladimus (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Location: Most likely sitting somewhere desolate, with my mind in the clouds as I stare off into space.
Thanks 21
Default Ravenwood (part 1)

The sun was bright, the sky was clear and the only thing on my mind was the great escape. I could only hear the hum of the motor and sound of the radio as I drove down the desolate road. Trees were on either side, the grass was green the air was clean and I didn't have a care in the world. But for some reason I had this odd feeling in my gut, my mind kept screaming something was wrong, this is all to perfect. I should have listened.

Everything had gone wrong in my life so I decided to leave my home town and turn a page in my life, I shouldn't have come here, I should have stayed where I was, then none of this would have happened. My father was always a hard-ass, he use to be a great guy until my mother passed, since then I had never been good enough for him, everything I did could have been done better to him. My girlfriend of eight years left me for my best friend and I had just lost my job. So I took my last pay check got in my car and started to drive. With no destination and my struggles behind me it became a recipe for disaster.

I could hear my girlfriend's voice in the back of my mind, telling me she had slept with Jamie, that I wasn't good enough for her. I could hear my father claiming that I wasn't the son he wanted, that I would never be good enough to call myself his son. I clenched my hands tightly on the steering wheel but kept my eyes on the road. I wanted nothing more than to get away, I had been on the road for three days now and I felt as though I was far enough away from my troubles, I was wrong. I should have kept driving, I shouldn't have stopped, I should have done alot of things in my life, but I didn't.

The trees started to become scarce and in the distance I began to see a town; small businesses were scattered on the left and right. The town sign came into vision; Ravenwood. I saw a restaurant two buildings down on my right, I had a feeling they served some good burgers and it was only eleven so I parked in the driveway. I stepped out of my car, my foot crunched on the gravel and from the parking lot I could smell pancakes and bacon being served. I opened the glass door and a bell sounded to alert the staff of my presence.

I couldn't think of a better cliche than the one before me. The restaurant was filled with nothing more than about six patrons, most of them wearing some form of either plaid or denim apparel. One gentleman sat in a booth alone, he wore a white cowboy hat, long-sleeve blue collar shirt, and if I had to guess, I'd say he was probably wearing some cowboy boots with all of that. He had a very manly mustache as well, it was mostly white minus a few black hairs. If I didn't know any better I'd say I was looking at Sam Elliott (that actor that's in like every western movie).

A lady with an apron and curly red hair began to walk towards me with a coffee pot in her hand. She looked like she hated her job, but that was probably because I wasn't from around here, most of the people in the restaurant had started giving me the stink eye. She stopped in front of me and spoke quick. She pointed at the booth just in front of good ol' white hat and began.

"Why don't you take the booth in front of Henry, I'll be with you in a minute hon."

I sat down, my back to Henry and began looking through the menu. I could hear Henry behind me stirring his coffee as I closed my menu. I could hear him rise to his feet and in my mind I kept hoping he wouldn't talk to me. I wasn't anti-social I just didn't care much for encounters with cowboys who had whiskers. I could hear him walking slowly, getting closer and closer with each step. *click* *clack* *click* *clack* He stopped just beside my booth, I panicked and looked down, just as I thought, brown cowboy boots. I heard him clear his throat just beside me then he got in front of me.

"Don't mean to intrude, I just wanted to welcome you to our humble town, mind if I share a booth with ya?"

"Um..."

"Oh c'mon now kid, I ain't gonna bite ya."

I couldn't say no so I caved and agreed to let the old man accompany me. He slowly made his way to the seat in front of me. He grunted as he sat down and shifted uncomfortably a few times then stopped. Now I was eye to eye with Henry, trying to figure out what he wanted from me.

"So, I saw you eyeballin' ma boots, got em over at the Salvation Army down the road if you're lookin for a pair"

I didn't know how to respond so I made a joke.

"Did they throw in the mustache with it?"

He looked at me somewhat angered.

"Sorry, it was a joke." I pleaded

"Wasn't all that funny." He replied sounding somewhat hurt.

"Yeah, sorry I'm not great socially with strangers."

"You ain't from here, are ya?" he asked almost condescendingly.

"Nah, what gave it away?"

"Well it coulda been the long hair, or the sunglasses, but the cargo shorts definitely scream tourist" He said in a mocking tone

I remained quiet and looked down at my shorts.

"It's a joke kid, everybody knows everybody out here, kind of a small town."

Just then the waitress appeared, instead of taking my order right away the three of us socialized a little.

"Henry stop scaring off the tourists! You're killin' business." The waitress said with a hint of sarcasm in her voice

"Why would you go and say that Martha? I done already told the boy I ain't gon' bite" Henry retaliated.

"Hey do either of you know where I could find an Inn?"

They both stopped chatting and filled me in on a hotel that was just up the road from here.

"Yeah go up 'bout two blocks and it's the big cabin on your left, no billboard, jus' the lighted open sign in the window, Alex'll take care of ya. He's a good fella." Henry finished

"Okay thanks." I said with gratitude

"Well I'll be on my way then" Henry stated as he rose from his seat.

"Martha, money's under the menu." He said as he tipped his hat and left.

"So what'll it be sugar?" Martha asked

"I think I'll have a burger and fries" I said hoping it was lunch time

"Oh hon, that burger's to die for." Martha replied.

Even though everyone seemed nice something was still off about this place, I wasn't sure what it was. I should have left, I shouldn't have stayed here but curiosity got the best of me...

Because, you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth. - William Blake

Last edited by vladimus; 04-08-2013 at 11:19 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 PM
vladimus (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Location: Most likely sitting somewhere desolate, with my mind in the clouds as I stare off into space.
Thanks 21

Part two coming soon
Because, you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth. - William Blake

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction