WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

ebook publishing

Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM
readermark (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default ebook publishing

Has anyone had any luck with self-publishing on Amazon for Kindle?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM
tony_a20 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 15

See:
http://www.writersbeat.com/showthrea...=Amazon+Kindle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 AM
J.L.G. (Offline)

Thanks 36

JA Konrath used to be a member here and he's done very well with Kindle. HOWEVER, and it's a big HOWEVER, JA was already a well-known author and I think his reputation more than helped here. Here's a link to what he thinks:

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2010/0...ebooks-in.html

I'm not sure what Lin's done on Kindle, or any other author here. It's not something I've looked at to be honest. Hopefully they'll come along an give thumbs up/down for you.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Collideascript (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I went to a workshop this last week on "Trends in Publishing" here in Tallahassee. In short, almost 70% of all ebook self-publishing happened on the Kindle. I would recommend using a service like smashwords, and trying to capture as much of the market as I could.

If you do take the kindle route, it is really important that you get some friends to give your book some reviews. This is going to be a main form of advertisement.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Lin

I avoid Kindle because I consider amazon evil and the Kindle a particularly pernicious piece of work. They also grab all your money.

I second the recommendation of Smashwords. This is a highly conscientious company who has done some remarkable--seemingly impossible--things to make it a better platform for authors.

You can get a "real" ISBN from them, free of for like ten bucks. They can make your book available on iPhone and iPad app stores. Check that out.

They have a good upload interface, a solid useful format, and a non-confiscatory money set-up.
No contest.

"ePublishing" per se is no big deal. You can upload to lulu and get a download version available. You can create your own pdf file and sell it, as I do.
Hell, you could just upload your word file and charge for downloads.

But Smashwords has so many advantages across the board, and so few downsides (I can't think of any, frankly. Unless you life outside of US in a country without tax treaty, in which case they take 40% of the sales--what amazon takes anyway)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing