WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

Ravenwood (part 2)

Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 AM
vladimus (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Location: Most likely sitting somewhere desolate, with my mind in the clouds as I stare off into space.
Thanks 21
Default Ravenwood (part 2)

I rolled into the parking lot of the hotel, only three other cars were parked, it was less of a building and more of a glorified cabin. It was about two now, and I had grown weary from my travels, I was ready to call it a night so I turned off my car and headed through the wooden door. The smell of the place was less than desirable, the smell was a mix of fresh wood, paint and a thin scent of dust. Once again I was hit with the cliché horror film cabin; a stuffed bear in the corner, a moose head on the wall, and dim lights everywhere. In front of me was the check-in desk, a service bell a wall of room keys and a napping host.

He wore a dark navy blue vest over a short sleeve white button up. His hair was curly and short, he almost had an afro of curly hair. I rang the bell once, no answer from him. Twice, still nothing. I reached in and attempted a third ring. His hand flung out and grabbed my index finger as he rose his head. He had pale skin and a light set of freckles on his cheeks. He had dark purple bags around his eyes, with his other hand he pushed up his wire glasses and spoke.

"Please don't ring that damn thing, I have the worst fuckin' hangover right now."

He released my finger then leaned over to his side and puked into a trashcan. He rose his arm to his mouth and wiped any residue from his lips. Charming, I thought as I looked at him.

"You must be Alex, I'm..." He cut me off before I could finish

"Please...No names...Um...rooms are $50.00 a night...and uh...yeah." He seemed distant

"fifty?" I asked

"Yeah...low as I can go man, tryna run a business here dude." He said trying to forward the conversation

"No that's good, just...Why so low?" I asked

"No reason...Why do you ask so many question? You want the room or not?" He said in a panicked voice.

"Yes, sorry I just...I'm new here..." I replied

"It's cool man, I just...had a rough night last night...lot of stuff to think about." He said in a sorrowful voice.

"Yeah, same. If you're feeling up for it I got a cold case in my car if you wanna come up to my room." I gestured.

"Yeah...okay, here's your key, I'll see you in a few." He said somewhat cheerfully

I was surprised when I made it to my room, the carpet was clean, the bed was comfy, there was a fridge for the beer, the TV was huge and it had cable. The phone line was cut which was fine because I didn't plan on making any calls and my cell phone had no bars at all. As I sat on my bed Alex walked in, he sat down on the other side of the bed. A long silence filled the room, it was finally broken when I turned on the TV and offered him a beer.

"So what's you story man?" Alex asked

"Well my mother died when I was six, my father's been a real dick since then, I thought I met my dream girl then when I was fourteen, eight years later the bitch leaves me for my best friend. I lost my job to some smug bastard two weeks ago and the past three days I've been on the road tryin' to get away from it all and here I am." I took a swig of my beer then stared at the bottle blankly. "What about you man, what happened?" I asked trying to show some compassion

"Well I'm one of the few people not from here...So I decided to open up this hotel. The people were friendly but never any tourists. Then one day I found out a little more about this place..." He stared at his beer as though he regretted every decision he'd ever made.

"And?" I asked

"This place has a dark secret man, you made a mistake coming here, and if you leave I need you to do something...I'm not gonna tell you anything until you promise me you'll leave here tomorrow, leave this town and never look back, take me with you if you can." He spoke fast, he almost sounded as though he feared someone was listening.

"Woah...slow down, what are you talking about?" I said trying to fill in the broken pieces of his story.

"No, I can't...You have to promise man. Please..." He begged

"Okay, I promise just tell me what's going on here?" I said frightened at this point

He walked over to the window and looked out then he closed the blinds and the curtains.

"Look...When I came here everything was fine, everyone was nice and it seemed like the perfect place to set up. But this place is fucked man. That guy, with the white hat...um" He paused trying to think as fast as he was talking

"You mean Henry?" I asked

"YEAH! Him, Henry...wait you know him?" He asked in an urgent voice

"Yeah I met him at the diner down the road" I said confused

"Oh shit man! It might be too late!" He replied frightened

"Tell me what the hell is going on!" I finally said, my voice a little louder.

"Okay...okay, just keep quiet. Henry...He runs this place man, what he says goes. And he...Well they...Everyone here is like...A cannibal man. They eat people, people eat people here man. They cut up outsiders like us and then they serve us at that fuckin' diner man. Shit! I fucking killed a guy man." His words came out faster than I could process them I was both shocked and sick to my stomach.

"Wait...woah! what? when?" I asked. At this moment I felt nothing but fear and disgust at everything Alex had told me, my stomach churned and I tasted an acidic burning in the back of my throat.

"Last night man..." Alex was in tears now "They made me do it man, they said only an outsider would refuse to kill, and I...I didn't wanna do it man but they would've killed me too. They made me kill and eat him man...I wanna get the fuck outta here man!" He sobbed between sentences, his voice kept cracking and his face was flushed red. I was at a loss for words, I didn't know what to say but I had no room to judge because chances were that burger wasn't beef.

"Okay...I'll help you out of here I just...need to sleep on it...I just need..." He cut me off before I could finish.

"No man! We gotta go now! If Henry saw you at the diner they'll be here soon and they'll..." His rant was cut short by the sound of some bad truck brakes. Alex ran to the window and opened the curtains then closed them quickly and turned to me, his face curled in horror.

"Oh fuck man! Shit, shit, shit! They're here man we gotta go, like fuckin' now!" He exclaimed.

Because, you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth. - William Blake
Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 AM
vladimus (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Location: Most likely sitting somewhere desolate, with my mind in the clouds as I stare off into space.
Thanks 21

Part three coming soon
Because, you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth. - William Blake

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction