WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Want to publish a children's book

Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45
Default Want to publish a children's book

Before I start Googling I'm asking here. I've mentioned it before but I want to get my mom's children's book published, as a gift. I plan to try sending it out before I do it myself, because I think she could go somewhere.

Can anyone tell me where I should try? I've never researched publishers for this type of book before.

Thanks!

I'm having issues with this. I should add that it's a rhyming, fully illustrated book. It's about a super teeny tiny pony and a little girl. It's short, not a novel type book.

<<

Last edited by RaineDrop; 09-29-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

You really need to do your own research. There are plenty of books and websites that give you the information you need. You know your book better than we do, so you are the only one who is well equipt to decide what publishers produce comparable material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

That's not exactly helpful, but thanks for the response. I did say I was researching myself but I'm not turning up anything very useful. People here might know which publishers I should try for with this particular genre.

Not to mention this forum is a tool used for research. So... yeah.
<<
Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Sorry, but your original post didn't say you were not turning up anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:28 PM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

In my previous response I stated that my OP said I was researching. "Before I start Googling..."

My saying I wasn't turning up anything in my previous response was in reference to "I'm having issues with this" also in my OP.

Well now that we've established I am in fact looking for myself as well, is there anyone who can point me in the direction of any reputable children's book publishers I can see about submitting to?

So far I've pulled up only one that I've been able to find submissions info for but I haven't been able to find books I recognize by them for reference, and I've never heard of them.
<<
Old 09-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

Are you looking to publish it just for fun? Or are you hoping to get your mom some kind of contract out of it?

If it's the latter, you may run into some technical difficulties. They may want to deal with the original author--I'm not quite sure how it would work with you as the agent . . . If you were looking to do a few copies for fun, there's always places like lulu. Although, even there, I'm not sure if you can put up a story that is someone else's without his/her permission. Granted, it's your mom, so I doubt she'd sue you LOL , but it all gets trickier when you're acting on someone else's behalf.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

Ooh I didn't think of that.. Damn... I did want to try and submit it to get her contracted before I went to self publishing it for her. I think I'm going to use Blurb instead of Lulu when the time comes.

I'll look into it more when I find some companies. I will find out!
<<
Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
mizsharon (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5

Rainedrop,

You may have thought of this idea already -- maybe if you go into a store that caters to new moms and children, you can check to see if they have a section that sells books for children. If the store has a section that sells children's books that you like, you can check the front pages of the books for the publishers' names.

I do not know if Kane/Miller is still in business, but when my lad was a young one, I loved to read their books to him (I did not deal with them as an author, however).
Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Folio Literary have recently launched Folio Jr - a division of the agency specifically catering for childrens authors and illustrators.

http://foliolit.com/folio-jr-2/

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing