WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Yo must have your work professionally edited

Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 AM
jules12345 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Yo must have your work professionally edited

How would you authors feel if the publisher demanded that your work was pro edited before publish..!

regards
Jules

Last edited by jules12345; 08-02-2010 at 12:22 PM..
Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

That's standard.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

Originally Posted by jules12345 View Post
How wold you authors feel if the publisher demanded that your work ws pro edited before publish..!

regards
Jules
I wouldn't give them my work if they weren't going to do edits themselves. Like Daedalus said, that's not uncommon at all.

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Arvik (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 8

Your work should definitely be edited before publication. However, I'm going to throw in a big "but" here: you should not be paying for those edits. To the best of my knowledge, reputable publishers take them as part of the business. If they're charging a "reading fee" or sending you to a "book doctor" whom you will pay from your own pocket, I'd be nervous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Getting 'er done one word at a time.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

How would it feel for an editor if they always got submissions riddled with errors?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 PM
AbbyBlack (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

First, I am not sure if such thing as "professionally edited" even exists. Sure, you can pay some editor to edit your work. You can pay some money for that (for some of us, like me, even small money is big money, so I wouldn't spend it unless absolutely necessary). Will you be happy with the results? Will it actually make the text more professional? That's debatable.
Editing is a part of the writing process all of us amateur or serious writers should be aware of. A professional writer I know did a grand edit on her work 7 times each in a month's interval. This is the maturing of the work, and it's necessary. Her book was a big success back in our native country.

Although the editor should get writing of an already high standard, it is not true that it should be so that no further editing will have to take place. The editor, as the name conveys, has a job of editing. She/he will do that and should not be a lousy git who already wants to have the final piece. But neither should it be draft, of course.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 60

Am I misunderstanding the topic? I thought we were talking about how would you feel if the editor made edits and offered suggestions?

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
AbbyBlack (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

Damn, I tghout we're talking what if the publishing studio or magazine had a 'please get professional editing before sending off to the editor' announcment in their submissions section. Perhpas the author will specify.

Of course the editor will have his own vision of your writing, and you will have to compromise in many ways. What do you expect though, that your wok will be perfect?
In the last stage of working on a novel, you and your editor will sit and go through the whole book and make changes.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

I thought the same thing, Abby. Perhaps the person who started this thread will clarify what he is talking about. We shouldn't pay for someone to edit our work, but it should be professional quality when it is submitted.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

How wold you authors feel if the publisher demanded that your work ws pro edited before publish..!

regards
Jules
I'd be suspicious if that editing entailed any cost to me. It's a standard scam from the bottom-feeding pseudo-publishers that goes:

1 We love your book, we want to publish, it
2 just needs a bit of editing, go to our recommended guy and give him $500.
3 Oh, and better send a check for expenses also
4 In fact just keep sending money til your wallet bleeds, then we'll drop you like a sack of shit.

Your publisher should edit for you, or suggest rewrites if required, then send you copies to approve.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 PM
jules12345 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I have a belief that an author starting out should have a working relationship with a pro editor. The point raised above, as to what makes a pro editor is a good question, and I agree in that as long as you the author are happy with the result, then the editor has worked for you.

I would expect an author to even offer the editor a royalty of his own proceeds, if the author could find that perfect editor for themself, as I believe an editor is worth they're weight in gold.

As a publisher and a small company, the work being presented on occasions is just unpublishable, and reflects what I see as a person that wants to be MADE famous and rich by the hard work of the publisher, and without actually thinking about what it is that they actually write, or for whom, and how well its written. Many authors would fall off their stools if they had seen some of the submissions that people throw to publishers, expecting pretty much, to have their work rewritten.

I have had alot of stick for my beliefs in this matter, but I have become aware of many publishing companies beginning to make this demand. The publishing companies are not prepared to do it anymore and quite rightly IMHO, especially the POD companies like mine. Don't think that in my company being POD you have to pay anything, it all comes ot of my pocket still.

Interesting to hear authors opinions on this matter however, I am adamant that I wont ever hire an editor, perhaps this is a bad thing, time will tell, but we can't give in to the demands of authors not wanting to take responsibility for their artwork. The publishing world is changing and I for one promote writing as an art not just a product, your work isn't finished until its up for sale however.

Part of the reason that I make this demand is that I pay a far greater royalty on paperbacks than the bigger companies, one draw back is that obviously, sale or return is not an option as yet.

Last edited by jules12345; 08-02-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Old 08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
jules12345 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
That's standard.
I think what you mean is that the publisher makes this demand and themselves edit the work in the old fashionned way. This isn't what I mean in actuality. What i mean is that a publisher demands the work edited BEFORE publishing, and by the author with a pro editor.

My mistake hope this clarifies the post.

regards
jules
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
jules12345 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'd be suspicious if that editing entailed any cost to me. It's a standard scam from the bottom-feeding pseudo-publishers that goes:

1 We love your book, we want to publish, it
2 just needs a bit of editing, go to our recommended guy and give him $500.
3 Oh, and better send a check for expenses also
4 In fact just keep sending money til your wallet bleeds, then we'll drop you like a sack of shit.

Your publisher should edit for you, or suggest rewrites if required, then send you copies to approve.
I agree with this concern wholeheartedly. My point however is that an author should find an editor themself.

Basically if I liked your work and am happy with it and your happy with it then I would publish as is..!

regards
Jules

Last edited by jules12345; 08-02-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Redlorry

As a publisher and a small company, the work being presented on occasions is just unpublishable, and reflects what I see as a person that wants to be MADE famous and rich by the hard work of the publisher, and without actually thinking about what it is that they actually write, or for whom, and how well its written. Many authors would fall off their stools if they had seen some of the submissions that people throw to publishers, expecting pretty much, to have their work rewritten.
How can you be a publisher, you wont even tell me what a novel is! All you say is that my choices of novels are not novels.

Seriously, you confuse me! I wouldn't want a publisher like you!

I'll stick with the guys I'm with thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

I have a belief that an author starting out should have a working relationship with a pro editor. The point raised above, as to what makes a pro editor is a good question, and I agree in that as long as you the author are happy with the result, then the editor has worked for you.

I would expect an author to even offer the editor a royalty of his own proceeds, if the author could find that perfect editor for themself, as I believe an editor is worth they're weight in gold.

I have had alot of stick for my beliefs in this matter, but I have become aware of many publishing companies beginning to make this demand. The publishing companies are not prepared to do it anymore and quite rightly IMHO, especially the POD companies like mine. Don't think that in my company being POD you have to pay anything, it all comes ot of my pocket still.

Interesting to hear authors opinions on this matter however, I am adamant that I wont ever hire an editor, perhaps this is a bad thing, time will tell, but we can't give in to the demands of authors not wanting to take responsibility for their artwork. The publishing world is changing and I for one promote writing as an art not just a product, your work isn't finished until its up for sale however.

Part of the reason that I make this demand is that I pay a far greater royalty on paperbacks than the bigger companies, one draw back is that obviously, sale or return is not an option as yet.
Boy, you sure could have used a professional editor for this post...

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Or they could just lack skill and not recognise their weaknesses.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Chazzhart (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 28

While I would be very suss of a publisher that demanded I get my work edited before they would publish, I am actually planning to find an editor before I go through the query process.
Australia has a smaller industry and consumer base than America. And from what I can tell, having my book pro edited before I try to sell it to publishers may give me a leg up in trying to get it published.

That said, if I don't manage to get a proper publisher, I would self-publish. If I self-publish, I am not willing to put my book on the market and expect people to buy it without having it edited professionally.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

If that's your choice, that's fine. A submission should be of professional quality, no matter who looks over it before submitting. But it's the job of an editor employed by the publisher to check for errors the writer missed and and suggest changes. They shouldn't be telling you to go pay for one.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 217

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
How can you be a publisher, you wont even tell me what a novel is! All you say is that my choices of novels are not novels.

Seriously, you confuse me! I wouldn't want a publisher like you!

I'll stick with the guys I'm with thanks.
Ohh, hark at Miss Published here

I kid, I kid... have you been picked up for that novel yet, or are y'all still trying?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Redlorry

The novel is on a refurb - keep your eye out for the next chapter - coming soon to the members forum
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

As a publisher and a small company...
You're kidding, right?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Blah. Even the e-pub Ive looked over for possibilities is offering some editing.

Pretty standard to submit clean work, but I dunno if Ill ever deal with a pub thats saying they want me to make sure it's ready for pub immediately and without edits.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM
EmmChris (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 73

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
You're kidding, right?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
jules12345 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Chazzhart View Post
While I would be very suss of a publisher that demanded I get my work edited before they would publish, I am actually planning to find an editor before I go through the query process.
Australia has a smaller industry and consumer base than America. And from what I can tell, having my book pro edited before I try to sell it to publishers may give me a leg up in trying to get it published.

That said, if I don't manage to get a proper publisher, I would self-publish. If I self-publish, I am not willing to put my book on the market and expect people to buy it without having it edited professionally.

CORRECT both with me and with other publishers...!
TOP OF THE CLASS
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
jules12345 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by calligraphy View Post
Blah. Even the e-pub Ive looked over for possibilities is offering some editing.

Pretty standard to submit clean work, but I dunno if Ill ever deal with a pub thats saying they want me to make sure it's ready for pub immediately and without edits.

Just my opinion.
Obviously every publisher inc me, will go over the text etc to check for basic errors...!

But in regards to dealing with a pub that wants you to be happy with your artwork, may I ask why is this such an alien concept to you and many other writers..?

Think about a fine artist - they have to pay for their materials etc - there is no difference... please read some of the industry news on my site and you should begin to understand.

To be honest im not so sure that any writer has ever done a moments research in the last five years and has any clue as to how WE are changing the industry.

For example, you may be aware that a certain company called ama... is signing authors directly for their ebook rights.. did you know this ? IT IS YOUR DIGITAL rights that mean anything at all, your paperback rights are predominantly worthless TRULY...!

With this in mind do you think that you are going to be able to publish an acceptable ebook by yourseves. I am trying to help you people seriously...but its difficult when people arent prepared TO LEARN...!

Forget EVERYTHING ou have ever known about the publishing world today EVERYTHING pretty much - it now exists in MY WORLD not theirs or yours.

It is the digital age - it is the 21st Centuary and only those that can understand this have any chance at all.

WE - are giving YOU control over your artwork and paying you greater royalties than you have ever imagined, but gone are the days when YOU can just sit in the bars and clubs nattering on whilst the publishing companies do pretty much 80% of your work for you ... today YOU have to work, you have to market your work and the harder you work the more YOU make, and with this in mind and if you actually think about it, you dont NEED the big publishing companies.

There are two types of GODS on the face of the earth today - internet/computer programmers and internet/computer lawyers, im almost both, the rest of the world are pretty much slaves to one or the other ! If you want to make it you have to be savy and things change at such a blistering pace you have to keep ON TOP of the industry as PART of your career.

Do a search on The Caverns Of Cairnpapple by Henry Graham Docherty.. its one of or paperback productions, its coming out as an ebook on amazon also in about three days.

Regards
Jules

Last edited by jules12345; 08-03-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
jules12345 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
The novel is on a refurb - keep your eye out for the next chapter - coming soon to the members forum
May I ask how old you are please redlorry...?

This will be my last post here thanx for listenning...!

Last edited by jules12345; 08-03-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

I have no idea what it must take for the fine administration here at WB to ban a trolling slob, but I am absolutely stunned that he's been allowed to continue. We're a community, and it's obvious that this fool only intends to disrupt that. Why is it allowed to continue?

Ridiculous.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Again the question is, why should we pay to have it edited? That's not the same as paying for the materials. It's paying to have someone look over what you have done. The editor's job is to ensure work with the author to make sure it is a product they can they can sell. I don't see how that works if you outsource your editing. If it is an editor who works within the publisher, why should the writer pay for it? Publishers pay writers. Publishers make money by selling books, not editing books.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 60

Jules, you've made it clear several times (more than that, really) that you're a publisher, but I can assure you we still don't care. Would you like me to pretend that I care just like you're only pretending that you're a publisher?

teehee

Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Dragon King (Offline)
The Watchdragon
Official Member

Thanks 217

I'd be wary of a publisher who can't spell "century".

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing