WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

The Hothouse is looking for two new members!!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Redlorry

Default The Hothouse is looking for two new members!!

As you may know we’re a small, focused group of writers, and all members of WB as well. We’re dedicated to creating really good short fiction that gets published!!

Members are expected to participate regularly and submit at least one piece a month to Hot House which they can expect to have critiqued, edit, and then submit for publication. There’ll be help and support every step of the way.

Hothouse has been running since April 15th 2010, and as you might have seen within the first two months alone we scored fifteen acceptances.

We’re looking for people who can join the existing team and make regular contributions, which as well as your fiction, will include honest critiquing and feedback, and all the fun that goes with it! Ideally, we’d like to offer the places to people who have yet to be published.

Because a lot of people have expressed an interest in the past we want to make this as fair as possible. Therefore, if you’re interested, please PM Redlorry with a sample of your short fiction (approx 500 words) it can be stuff you've already shared on WB. And if we get lots of interest we’ll be using it to take a vote.

Closing date for fiction to Redlorry is Sunday 11th of July 2010.

Any questions, please ask.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Redlorry

Here's Mike's thread with it's regular updates on how well Hot House as done.

Last edited by Redlorry; 06-26-2010 at 04:14 AM..
Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

It is a cool deal

It even got some people paying gigs!

Calli

Last edited by calligraphy; 06-26-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

It's true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwestamp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM
J.L.G. (Offline)

Thanks 36

Hot who...?

*checks WB link* Ohhhhhh

Do you run it from this site? Your own? Mike's press? It's just there's no link to any particular page that lists your authors, success, publications you've had success placing work with etc. Maybe there is? I'm asking purely because I'd tell any unpublished author just to make sure they know who and where they're placing work with, especially if it's aimed towards publication.

Not meaning to be mean, just cautious.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Redlorry

I can't comment on the technical stuff, but I'm sure Mike will be able to tell you more.

We all research our markets and share infromation about publishers looking for new writers/stories etc.

I can't speak for the whole group, but I use Duotrope a lot when looking to home my work.

We've had fifteen acceptances so far, but some publications are pre-dated so not yet available, although we have been given the dates. However I am happy to share one of mine that has been published.

Peter Jones and Tisha Box

Hope that answers some of your questions
Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 PM
J.L.G. (Offline)

Thanks 36

Sweeeet Indian...

Did you say you had paying as well as unpaying markets for your work, Red?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Redlorry

Originally Posted by J.L.G. View Post
Sweeeet Indian...

Did you say you had paying as well as unpaying markets for your work, Red?
Me, personally... yes

um, was 'Sweet Indian' good or bad?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

It's pretty much like posting work on here, except it's very dedicated to commenting and critiquing the pieces to get them ready for submission to markets. We track the story submissions and report any news on their statuses (or is it stati?), good or bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 PM
J.L.G. (Offline)

Thanks 36

Good. Lol
Old 06-26-2010, 01:04 PM
J.L.G. (Offline)

Thanks 36

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
It's pretty much like posting work on here, except it's very dedicated to commenting and critiquing the pieces to get them ready for submission to markets. We track the story submissions and report any news on their statuses (or is it stati?), good or bad.

Understood. It's just that with Writer's Beat you can look at site reviews about the site, or because you have homepage (as with a publisher) you can run a bewares and backgroung check on it through search engines, or word of mouth. With no homepage etc, you can't do any checks/see what it is exactly that you offer.

I know you're all familiar with each other, but if someone offsite had posted this with no link or way to check out what's being said, you'd be cautious too.

Sorry...
The Following User Says Thank You to J.L.G. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Redlorry

I know you're all familiar with each other, but if someone offsite had posted this with no link or way to check out what's being said, you'd be cautious too.

Sorry...
No problems, if it helps demonstrate that Hothouse is a good place to join and safe, so much the better for your query. We really want enthusiastic new members.

It's why we made the point of saying we're all WB members too.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
J.L.G. (06-27-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Seriously, it's a good thing to be a part of if you fit the criteria. I don't, but I've seen people I've known for months become published through it, and isn't that what we're all here for? It's pretty exciting, and I hope you all have good luck with it. I know people are chomping at the bit to join, so I'm sure you'll get loads of responses. I sure wish I had the time. I'd love to be a part of something like that!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
The Following User Says Thank You to Gwyndolin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Do you run it from this site? Your own? Mike's press? It's just there's no link to any particular page that lists your authors, success, publications you've had success placing work with etc.
Always wise to be cautious. Hothouse is a closed critique group, nothing more. Hothouse authors have proven to be very successful to date, but we skew the results by only accepting writers who are up to a standard. That's why it's invitation only.
J.L.G. (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 AM
J.L.G. (Offline)

Thanks 36

Good luck. It's unique to find a crit group that puts so much effort in. Now, if only I could actually write short fiction...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Just a quick reminder - there's a week left if anyone wants to chance their arm, hop aboard and become published, rather than a wannabe. See RL's OP for details.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

I'd love to get in on something like this it sounds like a great learning experience. I'm not focused enough to be held to a one-per-month quota at this time, but in the future I'd love to try it!
<<
Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

In the future you won't have the opportunity.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 PM
sammo777 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 40

... what is the standard being set? Who sets that standard?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Redlorry

If I understood your question... Anyone who wants to join needs to submit a short story (500 words approx) to me by Sunday 11th. They'll be read by all the HH team and we'll make a decision based on the stories we get.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
In the future you won't have the opportunity.
Why is that?
<<
Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Places are limited, by invitation only.

Sammo, the standard is being able to write to a publishable level. All the HH members have publishing history, and are therefore well qualified to apply the standard.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 PM
S.R. Hansford (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 20

This is pretty much the one thing I've wanted to be a part of for a very long time.

One question though: Does the 500 word submission have to be a 500 word short story, or can it be 500 words from an already-written short? I only ask because in an early post you said you required a 500 word sample, and in a more recent one you said 500 word story. I just don't want to send in the wrong thing.

I'll be submitting as soon as I'm clear on that one thing.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Redlorry

Approx 500 words, an excerpt or short story. A sample of your writing, ideally something that shows your imagination, style and everything else.

Apologies for the inconsistency
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

500 words of anything that'll make us think you're so cool we can't live without you.

Last edited by Mike C; 07-07-2010 at 07:00 AM..
Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 AM
S.R. Hansford (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 20

Sent in my submission. Hope it's good enough.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148

It kind of seems like a culture that's created to make people who feel insecure about their writing feel more secure, but in the end that's something that has to come from inside. Getting published isn't the only thing that makes someone a good writer, after all, any piece of crap can get published if it's what the public wants, so saying that you are doesn't mean anything.

Stephen King didn't apply to the publishing standards and look at him -- top seller, massive money, many movies made after his books. Getting accepted into programs based on "criteria" is usually more about how much you fit the culture and not as much about your intelligence or quality of work.

Another question: Where have you gotten published? In a book? Online? Is it all on the same website? Who published you? What website?

I'm not saying this group isn't any good, it works for the select friends that are apart of it. I am just saying to those who didn't or won't ever meet the criteria or are desperately trying to fit into the criteria you don't need them to be great (if anything they need you even if they don't know it, they're nothing without their members), you _are_ great and if you continue to do what you love and put effort into your work you will be even greater for your efforts, not by joining some group that claims to know what's in just because they got published.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Redlorry

Chill Ravenius

Before HH I'd not had that much to do with any of the other members, it's only working in the group that has bought us together as a team. It wasn't a group of friends that just got together.

As for where and what, you've read some of my stuff on e-zines. But I've also been accepted for e-books, and to be printed in anthologies, and I'm not alone. But read back on the comments on this thread and you'll see why not everyone wants to share details.

Being part of the group means being willing to accept other peoples opinions on your work, which of course you can choose to act on or ignore. In turn you also share your thoughts on their work. There's no pressure for anyone to make any changes they're not happy with.

Of course this way of working is not for everyone. But, speaking from my own personal point of view... it works for me.

Last edited by Redlorry; 07-07-2010 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: typo - how embarassing, lol
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM
S.R. Hansford (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 20

While I'm sure many people agree that publication isn't always indicative of quality I'm not one to pass such a strong judgement on an entire group of people (HotHouse in this case) based on very little to no information.

Even if I'm never published, the idea of working with a concentrated group of writers instead of an unfocused, worldwide forum to better my writing is something I've been absolutely dying to do for years. If it leads to publication, I'll be elated. If it doesn't work out, I'll keep trying. It's better to try it out than rule it out for no reason.

Whether it indicates quality or not, I'd like to be published. These guys know how to get published. Knowing that, I'd be an imbecile not to try to get in.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by Ravenius View Post
It kind of seems like a culture that's created to make people who feel insecure about their writing feel more secure, but in the end that's something that has to come from inside. Getting published isn't the only thing that makes someone a good writer, after all, any piece of crap can get published if it's what the public wants, so saying that you are doesn't mean anything.

Stephen King didn't apply to the publishing standards and look at him -- top seller, massive money, many movies made after his books. Getting accepted into programs based on "criteria" is usually more about how much you fit the culture and not as much about your intelligence or quality of work.

Another question: Where have you gotten published? In a book? Online? Is it all on the same website? Who published you? What website?

I'm not saying this group isn't any good, it works for the select friends that are apart of it. I am just saying to those who didn't or won't ever meet the criteria or are desperately trying to fit into the criteria you don't need them to be great (if anything they need you even if they don't know it, they're nothing without their members), you _are_ great and if you continue to do what you love and put effort into your work you will be even greater for your efforts, not by joining some group that claims to know what's in just because they got published.
Why, if you have no interest, would you ask for proof of anything?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing