WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Newly-Opened Presses

Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696
Default Newly-Opened Presses

Crazy question for all of you: Would you take the chance on a newly-opened small press, submit your work even though you know there's a possibility the press could close its doors at any time for whatever reason, despite how promising it might look?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Yes, with caveats. I'd want to know who was behind it and their backgrounds.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

Agree with Mike. Knowing that they have some experience in the area would definitely be a plus! If it was someone who had no background with writing and just thought it was a fun idea, I'd probably pass on it.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Redlorry

Also for me it would depend on my work. If it was a short piece I'd be braver with it, than something which has taken more time.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

So a little investigative work, then.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Indeed. There's lots of well-meaning but stupid people out there, and more crooks, who see the publishing industry as a place to earn money.

If they don't have a background in publishing (and I don't mean blogging or running an e-zine for 3 months), they're probably not a safe bet.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Dr.Bennet (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Some do it because they need to help their family so don`t be mean with them...writing is an art but some of the writers need to eat too ...so don`t blame them writing for money..

Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Dr Bennet obviously didn't read my post properly. I'm not talking about writers, but those who exploit them in the hope of turning a profit.

For example, anyone who says "We can promote your image to future editors and help you with your future writer career" when they actually mean "I want you to write my content for free, so I don't have to pay out" is planning to exploit writers.

Last edited by Mike C; 10-28-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

In answer to the original question:

If I knew nothing about the people behind the press, I wouldn't want to be in the very first issue. What if they don't have the technical know-how to produce a creditable website or zine? What if their standard of acceptance is low, and my work ends up surrounded by poorly edited and cliche writing? What if it's not a place I'd be proud to be? What if they use copyrighted images without license and get sued, and my name is tangled up in it? I'd wait to at least see the first issue and decide from there if it was promising.

I'd want a new zine to make a good impression with a decent website, some details about who's behind it, and maybe even samples of how accepted work will be presented. (The samples would be temporary; after a few issues, they can say "Look at our archives"!)

Other than that, I think there's always a possibility that any publication could close unexpectedly. I take my chances and pay attention to the rights I keep. A credit is a credit.

Last edited by HoiLei; 10-28-2010 at 12:45 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

I might. But I'm desperate.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing