WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Legal Advice

Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61
Default Legal Advice

I've used Lulu to self-publish my book and they issued me with an ISBN and will be placing my book in Amazon within a week. However, after doing a little research (hindsight's a great thing, unfortunately) I've discovered a cheaper and far more efficient company called Createspace, which are an offshoot of Amazon.

If I were to delete my book from Lulu and post the same version, with the same cover and name but not the same ISBN, there would be legal issues, right? First-rights claims from Lulu and such. However, I've heard that if I change the name, cover art, and make alterations to the novel, I should be okay. Any truth to this?

I guess I should seek advice from a lawyer, but is it an intellectual property lawyer I want, or someone media-related?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:09 AM
AbbyBlack (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

If Lulu is putting your book on Amazon, then they definitely have some sort of copyrights to your work. That doesn't mean you can never publish it anywhere else - some publishing offices have a policy that you can submit your work anywhere you want as long as they are aware of it and approve, while in some cases you will have to wait, usually 5 years, until you regain the copyrights again.
Maybe you should try negotiating with Lulu? They could give you better conditions if you even coin that you're thinking of moving your novel elsewhere.

"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die." ~ Leonardo DaVinci
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

Lulu doesn't ask for any rights, so it looks like you're in the clear. I'd call a customer care rep first, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing