WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Why doesn't an agent want to even see my partial?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Redlorry

In support of WG, why not do what I'm doing. I wrote my novel, which was fantastic, as I thought...

However, since writing more shorts and learning more about writing as a craft, when I re-read it, frankly, as good as the story/plot is, the telling of it needs a complete overhaul.

So weekly, fortnightly or whenever I get the time I edit a chapter and share it on the members forum for feedback. As a result I have a stronger, tighter story.

Stop worrying about rejections and start REALLY working towards that, thus far illusive acceptance.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

OP, apparently if you get accepted into Hot House then you're pretty much guaranteed to get published. Perhaps you should try that. :P

(in all seriousness, every person from HH that I've met is super cool/and they're good writers. Listen to what they say)

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 08-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Reddy Dean View Post
OP, apparently if you get accepted into Hot House then you're pretty much guaranteed to get published.
Not pretty much. It's an absolute guarantee. Cast iron.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

Cheers to you all.

After much deliberation, it has come to my notice that I'm acting like a stubborn ass.

So, in virtue of this...

It pains me to inform you all that that's exactly what I am.

I am Taurean after all. It's in my sunsign.

So cheers. Please note that no amount of cajoling will make me change my mind.

I appreciate your concerns, and your kindness for looking out for me. It's really uplifting the way you guys care about this. It really, really is.

But please give it up.

I will certainly do a rewrite in a few months after I have given this thing the shot it deserves.

My intention is not to tread over your opinions, or override your sentiments. It is not.

I just believe in standing up for what one believes in. I believe in this, so I'm going to stand up for it.

Most likely, after giving up for a few months, I'll see what's wrong with it, and do the rewrite with fresh eyes.

Please note, that this does not mean that I will not do the rewrite. It just means that it will be a little delayed. That's all.

So I do respect all your opinions, and all your sentiments, and all I ask, is for you to respect my opinion as well.

I will eventually do the rewrite. Just give me some time. What's the hurry?? I've still got plenty of years left in me to redo it.

Once again, Cheers, and more importantly, thank you. Really, thank you very much for your interest.

Regards,
Ananth.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

I'm sorry if I came off a little strong, urntme. It wasn't my intention.

I'm a Taurus, too, so I'm stubborn as well. However, I've learned that you can't be as stubborn with writing. You want the readers to like it, after all, right?

Anyways, I just wanted to say this last comment before not commenting on this matter anymore: What if a rewrite is what it deserves?

And there isn't any rush, but, I've always been an impatient person, so, personally, I rather start editing/rewriting right away. But, that's a preference.

Wish you the best luck with your novel.

Happy writing/editing.
-WG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 08-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 156

Hi Ananth.

Sorry I'm late. I was busy trying to count raindrops in the clouds above where I live. Unfortunately I only had a pair of standard binoculars, and it was a windy day. This made it take longer. But I'm done now. (The answer was 46.9 billion rain drops, if you're curious).

Having read and reviewed your novel in its entirety, I won't comment further on it. I will however comment on your query letter, which I believe was the original point of your post here.

Dear ...

I am writing to you because I think that my novel is a good match for your tastes. Oh dear, that is a poor start to the letter. An agent does not want to be told what is a good match for their "tastes". Taste has nothing to do with it. They want to know if the novel is marketable and financially viable for their investment. Simply state that you are "seeking their representation for your novel." Nothing more.

Karma & Regret is a 63,000 word Young Adult / Multi-cultural / Thriller novel.
This part is fine. Keep it short, sweet, impersonal.

It is in essence, a dark themed, boy's book, and is targeted at teens to twenty year olds who are looking for a fast paced snappy action thriller. All the chapters are kept short in order to maintain the quick pace of the novel.
No, that's poor. Delete that. Too much detail.

Karma & Regret is what one gets when they mix 1970's style martial arts action, gritty gun fighting, dark themes, a handful of quirky situations, and India. Delete all that. Keep the next bit: It is a tapestry novel that tells the tale of six separate lives which eventually merge together for the finale.

It chronicles the lives of: several strangers whose lives are interconnected through the actions of a crime lord.

("chronicles the lives of" is way over-the-top, as if you're writing their biographies or something. you're not. you're telling a story of one brief period of their lives).

Delete all these character definitions - too much detail again.
Kumar, and Harider, who go in search of their siblings, who were sold to an adoption agency by their father.

Habeeb, who approaches a pimp, and asks for Aitraaz, a prostitute, who may, or may not have been his fiance at one point of time.

Reizo, a martial arts teacher, who seeks revenge for the killing of his disciple at the hands of another one of his disciples.

Rahul, a criminal gang's newest recruit, who has a crush on the girl that they have just kidnapped.

Paul, a hired mercenary, who is sent to kill a man but soon discovers, to his utter disbelief, that his target can actually dodge bullets.

Chitra, the female inspector who wants to make her father proud by taking on the toughest criminal around, and bringing him to justice.

And at the center of it all, Daniel, a powerful underworld gang leader who would just about kill everyone who gets in his way without the slightest bit of hesitation.

My name is Ananth Kumar Gonibeed, I live in India, and this is my first novel. Being a recent teen myself, I wrote the kind of story that I would have loved to have read, and that's what this novel is. You can always reach me at this email id:... My phone number is: ...
Argh, that entire paragraph is totally inappropriate. It is far too casual. All you need say is, "I look forward to hearing from you". They can see your name, address and contact details elsewhere in the letter, do NOT repeat them here.

I have pasted the first five pages of my novel below this mail.
I have attached the first five pages as requested.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon. This part is fine.

Regards,
Ananth Kumar Gonibeed.
My version would be far, far, shorter.

Dear ...

I am seeking your representation for my novel.

Karma & Regret is a 63,000 word Young Adult / Multi-cultural / Thriller novel. It is a tapestry novel which tells the story of several strangers, whose lives are interconnected through the actions of a crime lord. Events draw the strangers together to confront their common enemy.

I have attached the first five pages as requested.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
Ananth Kumar Gonibeed.

(your name and address and contact details here)
(I assume it's an email query, not a printed letter. If it were a printed letter, put your name/address at the top instead).

In my personal opinion, your letter is too long, too chatty, and too detailed. Keep it as short as possible with as little detail as possible. Keep it neutral and impersonal. A simple business proposition is what you're supposed to be offering here. You have written a book which you believe would generate sales in the market represented by them. They don't want to know much more than that, beyond the simplest description of what type of book you've written.

Hope this helps,

Owen

Last edited by Owen; 08-17-2010 at 04:00 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Owen For This Useful Post:
EmmChris (08-17-2010), urntme (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Redlorry

Yes!! Owen, my point exactly!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 156

I just want to add, also, that you'll be exceptionally lucky to get any kind of feedback whatsoever. I've never had anything besides a standard rejection letter, and I've had a *lot* of those!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:03 AM
EmmChris (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 73

Originally Posted by Owen View Post
Hi Ananth.

Sorry I'm late. I was busy trying to count raindrops in the clouds above where I live. Unfortunately I only had a pair of standard binoculars, and it was a windy day. This made it take longer. But I'm done now. (The answer was 46.9 billion rain drops, if you're curious).

Having read and reviewed your novel in its entirety, I won't comment further on it. I will however comment on your query letter, which I believe was the original point of your post here.

My version would be far, far, shorter.

(I assume it's an email query, not a printed letter. If it were a printed letter, put your name/address at the top instead).

In my personal opinion, your letter is too long, too chatty, and too detailed. Keep it as short as possible with as little detail as possible. Keep it neutral and impersonal. A simple business proposition is what you're supposed to be offering here. You have written a book which you believe would generate sales in the market represented by them. They don't want to know much more than that, beyond the simplest description of what type of book you've written.

Hope this helps,

Owen
Very good advice here. You'd be foolish to pass it up!
The Following User Says Thank You to EmmChris For This Useful Post:
urntme (08-17-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 156

DISCLAIMER: I've had zero success with agent queries, so my advice might in fact be utter crap.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

No, it's good, Owen!! I'm amazed at how perfectly concise it is, without taking away the spirit of the novel's blurb. That's great!

I may ask you to critique my query when it's done, lol. You could start a little side business. =)

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 AM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

Hey Owen,

Thanks for the query letter. I'll use it the next time I need it.

kudos.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing