WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Classifieds

Classifieds Advertisements go here. Content of this forum does not represent the service provided at this web site.

Last Pass Proofreading for Budget-minded Authors

Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
proofnow (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Last Pass Proofreading for Budget-minded Authors

Are you an author looking for someone to take a last look at your work before you publish? I've spent 24 years in the business world, composing, editing, and proofreading all types of correspondence. I will use my years of experience to bring a critical and professional eye to your manuscript. I will review your manuscript for grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation, and consistency of voice and tense. I can find the "oopsies" in any piece of written work that my eyes are exposed to, from TV news scrolls to 600-page novels.

In the ever-changing world of publishing, getting your work out there can seem even harder than ever. In this ultra-competitive climate, I can help assure that you are putting your best foot forward. I've assisted several e-book and self-published authors with the editing and proofreading of their works. Co-workers, family, friends, and business associates often ask for my editing/proofreading assistance with term papers, business proposals, and resumes. I have a B.A. in Political Science from Towson University and a Certificate in Proofreading/Copyediting.

More about me:
I'm doing what I've always wanted to do - READ! My parents taught me to read before I was five years old (thanks, Mom & Dad!). Since then, I have been a voracious reader. I've read all different types of works - Shakespeare, Ayn Rand, Margaret Mitchell, James Patterson. You name it and I've probably read it. My passion is fiction. With the advent of self-publishing and e-readers, I've seen a plethora of authors willing to put themselves out there, and I want to help. I love the written word and want to help new authors hone their skills and their manuscripts.

Pricing:
I will proofread your entire work for .25/page. I accept payment primarily via PayPal, but am open to working with you on other options. Writing is really a collaborative effort, and I'd like to be a part of it!

Send me an email to proofnow@aol.com or PM me if you would like to partner on a project.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

24 years? That's a good history. And you're qualified too. Mind If I ask a few questions?

1) What's your preferred working dictionary?
2) Do you have a preferred style book?
3) What do you count as privildged forms of speech?
4) What's your take on copyeditorial latitude?
5) what's your stance on the serial comma?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 PM
proofnow (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Hi Whiskers!
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1) My preferred dictionary is Merriam-Webster
2) The style book I prefer is fiction of any type. I've proofread YA, Science Fiction, Historical, Contemporary, Erotica, etc. I can post a partial list if you'd like.
3) I consider anything as privileged speech. It's in the 1st amendment. I may not like it, but it's a given right.
4) I take copyeditorial latitude very seriously. It's not my job to rewrite an author's work, but to point out inconsistencies and, if appropriate, offer constructive criticism to correct them. Usually, by the time I review the work, it's mostly spelling and typos that I'm concerned with.
5) I'm on the fence with the serial comma. Sometimes, it's very distracting, but other times it makes a lot of sense. If it interferes with the flow of the work, I'll recommend reconstruction. If not, I say "let it fly".

I hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have more.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Originally Posted by proofnow View Post
Hi Whiskers!
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1) My preferred dictionary is Merriam-Webster
2) The style book I prefer is fiction of any type. I've proofread YA, Science Fiction, Historical, Contemporary, Erotica, etc. I can post a partial list if you'd like.
3) I consider anything as privileged speech. It's in the 1st amendment. I may not like it, but it's a given right.
4) I take copyeditorial latitude very seriously. It's not my job to rewrite an author's work, but to point out inconsistencies and, if appropriate, offer constructive criticism to correct them. Usually, by the time I review the work, it's mostly spelling and typos that I'm concerned with.
5) I'm on the fence with the serial comma. Sometimes, it's very distracting, but other times it makes a lot of sense. If it interferes with the flow of the work, I'll recommend reconstruction. If not, I say "let it fly".

I hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have more.
The questions are a little hard on you, and geared more towards copy editors. But they come from this very smart lady. They are questions any author should be looking at when hiring copy editors (part of your qualification that's mentioned above ).

Question two, among some of the others, would be a concern for me (even at proof stage). You seem to have a lack of understanding over just what a style guide is. Have you never worked in trade publishing, with both internal and external style guides? What about during your qualification for proofreading/copyediting? Even with indie authors, a copy editor (and proofreader) will have both a preferred dictionary and (proofreading) style source to reference on a script, just to have to hand in case an author needs to know why a recommendation is being made.

Last edited by Whiskers; 07-26-2013 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: proofing
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 44

Post a list of some of the fiction works you have proofread.

.25 Japanese yens?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
proofnow (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
The questions are a little hard on you, and geared more towards copy editors. But they come from this very smart lady. They are questions any author should be looking at when hiring copy editors (part of your qualification that's mentioned above ).

Question two, among some of the others, would be a concern for me (even at proof stage). You seem to have a lack of understanding over just what a style guide is. Have you never worked in trade publishing, with both internal and external style guides? What about during your qualification for proofreading/copyediting? Even with indie authors, a copy editor (and proofreader) will have both a preferred dictionary and (proofreading) style source to reference on a script, just to have to hand in case an author needs to know why a recommendation is being made.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question about style. I primarily reference the Chicago Manual of Style. I've never worked in trade publishing, but with my qualification for proofreading/copyediting, I am familiar with internal and external style guides. Working with indie and self-published authors, however, I don't have those to work with. I do create my own style sheet as I go through the manuscript.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 AM
proofnow (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Originally Posted by FutureFootball View Post
Post a list of some of the fiction works you have proofread.

.25 Japanese yens?
No, it's .25 USD

Following is a partial list of manuscripts I've worked on:

• A. Sparrow, Peregrin
  • Paul Clayton, White Seed
  • Christopher David Petersen, Endless Summer
  • Anelia Sutton, A Taste of Panama and Degree Fast Track
  • Kevan O'Meara, Black Clouds
  • Tracy Rozzlynn, Verita and Fast-Tracked
  • Courtney Milan, Unlocked and Unraveled

Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Originally Posted by proofnow View Post
I've never worked in trade publishing, but [snip] Working with indie and self-published authors, however, I don't have those to work with. I do create my own style sheet as I go through the manuscript.
indie and self-publishing? I'm sorry, this is a little confusing. This means one of two things:

1) Working with indie [publishers]
2) Working with indie [authors]

If it's 1, you've worked in trade because indie publishers are trade publishers, and you will have used house style guides as well as external. If it's 2, self-pubbed authors are indie authors, and the terms are confusing you a touch.

Niggles aside with terms, I've had a brief look at some of the works listed. The proofing seems good. But because you have no website, and no way to ensure that you have worked these authors other than your word, I'd still recommend any author gets in contact with the authors listed above for a verbal recommendation.

Proofnow, do you have a website? if you're providing a service, you would be best to start up a website (or blog), where authors can link to and read about you and what you're offering. Web pages could include the all important client testimonials. And if you're really author-friendly, provide links to the authors you've worked with so prospective clients can get in touch with those authors if need be.

It's good you've got your proofreading qualification, just make sure you note it down. As for your B.A, that's nothing to do with publishing and, unfortunately, want draw your clients in. I have a Hons degree in Linguistics, but when it comes to noting what an author needs to know, they're after specifics relating to the publishing.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 AM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 44

What you need to do is offer your service to some one here free of charge. Than you can say, 'I have proof read so and so's members work". And that member can easily be contacted and would vouch for you.

You know, I'll happily lend you a hand, and offer up one of my books....

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Classifieds