WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

One Final Goodbye

Old 04-22-2007, 05:01 AM
kelzaa (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default One Final Goodbye

It was a beautiful spring afternoon in October when I was greeted by my mother at the front door of my grandmother’s unit. Her expression was grim, but she managed a courageous smile and wrapped her arms around me in a tight, comforting hug. "You got here quickly, come on in." She gestured me inside, and as I entered the living room, the familiar odours of decaying flesh and hospital disinfectant enveloped me. To me, it had become the smell of great suffering and looming death. It was a smell that lingered in my airways for days, but grounded in my memory forever.

There, in her cosy little living room was my grandmother, affectionately known by family as Nanny Noo, tucked in to her hospital bed. I took a seat in an empty bedside chair and surveyed her closely. The bandages on her face barely covered the horror caused by MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), which had plagued her entire body for the past two years. Her mouth was agape, exposing her dry, peeling tongue and swollen throat; and she managed only short, raspy breaths. Her complexion had become pallid grey and she looked so tired, yet she had been sleeping continuously for the past four days. She was barely a shadow of her former spirited self.

Her left arm lay exposed beside her body, and clutched in her hand was the precious silver cross dangling from a chain which usually adorned her neck. A leather-bound bible lay by her side and her crocheted Magpies cushion by her feet. Her favourite gospel music dulled the hum of the morphine IV feeder beneath her bed, and a bizarre sense of subdued calm hovered in the air.

I cradled her warm, soft hand in both of mine, and a single heavy tear raced down my cheek. Something about her took my breath away; and with it, all the words I had wanted to say. I wanted to thank her for a lifetime of unconditional love, and for guiding me with her wisdom and understanding through my darkest hours. I wanted to tell her how inspirational she was and how much I admired her strength and courage. I wanted to tell her I was sorry for the times I may have disappointed her, and that I would spend the rest of my life making her proud. I wanted to tell her just how special she was to me; but of all these things, all I could manage to say was ‘I love you Nanny Noo’.

I cried silently by her bedside for what seemed an eternity, memories of our times together flooded my consciousness. A soft knock at the front door snapped me back to reality, and I turned my gaze to meet the saddened eyes of my grandmother’s estranged best friend, Faye. She had heard of my grandmother’s illness and came to say her final goodbye, so after one last kiss on my Nanny Noo’s forehead, I thanked Faye for coming, hugged my mum, and headed home with a very heavy heart.

As I entered my living room some fifteen minutes later, the telephone rang and after a moment’s hesitation, I answered the call from my mum. She was bearing news that my precious Nanny Noo had finally surrendered into the waiting arms of god, just a few minutes after I left. Speechless and trembling at the knees, I was instantly consumed with a mixture of relief, and selfishly, a deeper sadness than I ever imagined. Nanny Noo had finally claimed her place beside her beloved god in heaven.

Last edited by kelzaa; 04-22-2007 at 05:04 AM..
Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62

It reminded me of my grandfather's passing. Only we had no I idea that his time was coming. My brother and I saw my grandfather minutes before he died, after he left our house and arrived at his, he passed.
I never got to ask him things about his life and I never got to say how much I would think of him.
It's been everyday that I think of him.

This is a really good story though sad.
In the last paragraph of your story where you mention that your Nanny Noo had finally surrendered to god and where she claimed her place beside her beloved god.
God should be capitalized.
Thanks for the read.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
kelzaa (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Thank-you winterstorm.

I had to cut this down from about 1100 words to just 600 so it is missing alot of the story, but I am pleased with the final result anyway.

I'm sorry that you lacked the opportunity to say your goodbye to your grandfather. Nothing is more sacred to me than the memory of my goodbye to Noo, although it is tainted by my inability to communicate the things I wanted to. I can talk to her freely now, and I truly believe that she hears me - wherever she is.

Thank-you for your response, it's nice to have some feedback.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 PM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62

Your very welcome.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction