WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Box Jellyfish

Old 03-13-2007, 08:30 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Box Jellyfish

(HONOLULU ADVERTISER) -- An influx of box jellyfish is expected to peak today in nearshore waters, and the city's Ocean Safety Division has issued a box jellyfish warning through today.

There were 86 box jellyfish found and 10 stings reported in Waikiki as of yesterday afternoon, according to the Ocean Safety Division. An additional 12 box jellyfish were found at Ala Moana Beach.

Swimmers were advised to stay out of the water.

People stung by box jellyfish should flush the stung area with vinegar and see a lifeguard for help. Anyone experiencing difficulty breathing, muscle cramps or persistent pain should seek immediate medical attention.

When I visited Queensland, Australia, I noticed warning signs about "sea wasps" on the beaches of the Coral Sea. A local told me they referred to box jellyfish and said their sting could kill a person within minutes. I thought it was a tall tale to scare a Yank and I went swimming in spite of the signs.

After I returned to Hawaii, I looked up box jellyfish in the public library. Turns out the Aussie wasn't joking. Box jellyfish venom is one of the most deadly in nature, far moreso than the bite of a cobra.

I was accustomed to occasionally seeing Portuguese man-o-war (a type of jellyfish) on beaches in Hawaii. Their sting is painful, but not fatal. I had no idea box jellyfish existed in Hawaiian waters until a few years after I visited Australia.

I learned Hawaii also has two other deadly sea creatures found in Australia -- the tiny blue-ringed octopus and the cone shell, both living in tide pools. If I had ever seen either one before I learned how dangerous they were, I'm sure I would have picked it up to examine out of curiosity -- which might have cost me my life.

The Pacific Ocean is full of critters that are a threat to people, but they were there first, long before humans evolved.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:13 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

Is this posted here for crit of what you have written as follow on to the article or is this for discussion and should be in the cafe or couch area?
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by riverstone View Post
Is this posted here for crit of what you have written as follow on to the article or is this for discussion and should be in the cafe or couch area?
It's a memoir piece inspired by the news article. I'm not sure where it belongs.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

So then I assume this is the part that wants a crit:

When I visited Queensland, Australia, I noticed warning signs about "sea wasps" on the beaches of the Coral Sea. A local told me they referred to box jellyfish and said their sting could kill a person within minutes. I thought it was a tall tale to scare a Yank and I went swimming in spite of the signs.

After I returned to Hawaii, I looked up box jellyfish in the public library. Turns out the Aussie wasn't joking. Box jellyfish venom is one of the most deadly in nature, far more deadly than the bite of a cobra.

I was accustomed to occasionally seeing Portuguese man-o-war (a type of jellyfish) on beaches in Hawaii. Their sting is painful, but not fatal. I had no idea box jellyfish also existed in Hawaiian waters until a few years after I visited Australia. (Delete the jellyfish def as most people know this one)

I also learned Hawaii also has two other deadly sea creatures found in Australia -- the tiny blue-ringed octopus and the cone shell, both living in tide tidal? pools. If I had ever seen either one before I learned how dangerous they were, I'm sure I would have picked it one up to examine out of curiosity -- which might have cost me my life.

The Pacific Ocean is full of critters that are a threat to people, but they were there first, long before humans evolved.

How does this conclusion tie back to the beginning - you need to add something more to the last para.
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction