WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Gun control

Old 07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Are there any circumstances under which you can take a gun on a plane?
With the new bill just passed here one can carry in certain areas of the airport now. Not through security screening checkpoints but around the airport, parking lots, walkways, shops, certain parts of terminals.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Make sure that you have a proper backstop. Even a bullet from a 22 can carry for a long distance.

Now that is fuggin' funny!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314

typically not on your person or as carry on, but thousands of people a year fly with their guns in baggage for hunting trips or shooting competitions. Or certain military people flying with their guns.
I think it would be stupid to put weapons in checked baggage, what with rampant theft going on with baggage handlers. Would make more sense to ship FedEx or UPS. I flew armed, (open carry) for courier duty of top secret material. Always two men, then, always in sight of each other and the football. I don't support measures that prevent legal ownership of guns, but I think it would be a good move to "fingerprint" every weapon sold so it could be matched quickly in a crime.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Sound like common sense to me. It must be very unpleasant to be shot and even more so to be shot by a policeman through your own stupidity.

For what it's worth I know people who have been shot.

One has been hit seven times.
Not all in the same event.
He has also been on the receiving end of pointed and edged steel.

When he said "If I had my choice of being shot again or cut I would take the bullet" I asked why.

He tells me that it is more dangerous infection wise to get sliced and stabbed.

Oh, and all his activities were conducted while on the legal side of enforcement.

And if I could always be certain an aggressor would try to shoot me through my own stupidity I would be much more relaxed.

I mean I got so much of it that even a .454 Casull fired from a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan would run outta gas before gettin' through.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Now that is fuggin' funny!
I thought so, too. But you have to understand why.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

For what it's worth I know people who have been shot.

When he said "If I had my choice of being shot again or cut I would take the bullet" I asked why.

He tells me that it is more dangerous infection wise to get sliced and stabbed.

Oh, and all his activities were conducted while on the legal side of enforcement.

And if I could always be certain an aggressor would try to shoot me through my own stupidity I would be much more relaxed.

I mean I got so much of it that even a .454 Casull fired from a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan would run outta gas before gettin' through.
Now that's funny. Maybe with a full-metal jacket round.
Nick Pierce (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

When he said...
He kind of makes a habit of being shot or stabbed? Not the sort of idiot I'd want to take advice from, to be honest.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I flew armed, (open carry) for courier duty of top secret material. Always two men, then, always in sight of each other and the football.
Was this before 9-11-2011?

I don't support measures that prevent legal ownership of guns, but I think it would be a good move to "fingerprint" every weapon sold so it could be matched quickly in a crime.
There's these things called serial numbers...

Ok, beyond my smart-assery (sorry, Paco) I take issue with that. It gets too close to violation of privacy issues. I don't want GPS chips in guns, or fire/not fire chips where you have to where the decoder ring to shoot it. Our federal government thinks the constitution is a substitute for Charmin. No need to give them anything else to play with, or any more ability to infringe.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

He kind of makes a habit of being shot or stabbed? Not the sort of idiot I'd want to take advice from, to be honest.
Three tours in Viet Nam, some work in European countries, a couple of stints in Africa, a police officer's career and a Bail Bondsman's go get 'em guy.

With all that playing a scraped knee is inevitable, I suppose.

He once said that he would always be sure to sharpen his knife before going out on patrol.

Someone asked "Why"?

He responded "So when the shootin' starts I can slice the buttons off the front of my uniform".

Someone asked "Why"?

His answer "So I can get closer to the ground".

To this day I have no hesitation in gettin' low when I hear a loud noise.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

I fired a shotgun once and it nearly dislocated my shoulder.

Are there any keen gun owners here who can offer tips on how to control a shotgun so one doesn't injure oneself?
Hold the butt of the stock on your pectoral muscle not in the place where the shoulder meets the upper body (common mistake btw).
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

I think it would be stupid to put weapons in checked baggage, what with rampant theft going on with baggage handlers. Would make more sense to ship FedEx or UPS.
FFL to FFL.

For 40 bucks all the problems are solved.
Franklin (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

anyone have any more good gun control jokes? . . .
Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
With the new bill just passed here one can carry in certain areas of the airport now. Not through security screening checkpoints but around the airport, parking lots, walkways, shops, certain parts of terminals.
Yeah, but this is just courtin' trouble.
If ya just gotta take your heat to the plane place stop off on the way and toss it (unloaded, please) in the trunk.

I mean really, what are the chances someone is going to mess with ya (I mean at the level that would meet fear for your life standards) at an airport?

Those places are teeming with armed plainclothes personnel.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Franklin I think it would be stupid to put weapons in checked baggage, what with rampant theft going on with baggage handlers. Would make more sense to ship FedEx or UPS.
FFL to FFL.

For 40 bucks all the problems are solved.
That could turn into a pain in the ass. The way that would work smoothly is if, for example, your guide/outfitter is an FFL holder. A local gun shop has a few days of hold time on private FFL transfers. If the FFL holder has that policy, you won't be flying in and picking up your gun on the drive to location.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by rockman View Post
Bill Clinton's Assault Weapons Ban

Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Originally Posted by rockman View Post
Well it is Mike C's thread so I'm gonna bite the bullet and be careful not to shoot my mouth off.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Be my guest. I'm a happy smiley team player and welcome your thoughts.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Hold the butt of the stock on your pectoral muscle not in the place where the shoulder meets the upper body (common mistake btw).
Or, you can hold the stock above or under your shoulder. The best solution, if you have the shotgun for protection, is to buy one with a removable stock. It's also less cumbersome in a dark bedroom. I prefer a revolver. No jams or misfires, and with hollow points will stop even a Mohican. (Kidding) Bought my Taurus over twenty years ago and never had to fire it. Suits me; I don't like to use weapons. Haven't even hunted since I was a teenager.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

That could turn into a pain in the ass. The way that would work smoothly is if, for example, your guide/outfitter is an FFL holder. A local gun shop has a few days of hold time on private FFL transfers. If the FFL holder has that policy, you won't be flying in and picking up your gun on the drive to location.

Okay- I just called my local FFL place and discussed all of this with them.

You are correct, Mohican.
It is not nearly as smooth as I thought I knew it to be.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:04 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

I have a concealed weapons permit, it's good in any state that allows concealed weapons, how ever there are still some states that don't have a concealed weapons except for cops and the like. those states most likely won't bother you if you keep the weapon, and the ammo separate. one in the trunk and one in the glove box. it's get more challenging if you on a motorcycle.

he's right about the shotgun - it's a very diverse weapon from #8 shot to slugs, each one kicks a little harder. the length of the barrel is also important, the shorter the barrel the more they kick. I know sounds backwards. there is also a question of choke, full to open the more choke your weapon has the harder it will kick.

just keep it pressed to your shoulder and after a few times you'll know what to expect.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Or, you can hold the stock above or under your shoulder. The best solution, if you have the shotgun for protection, is to buy one with a removable stock. It's also less cumbersome in a dark bedroom. I prefer a revolver. No jams or misfires, and with hollow points will stop even a Mohican. (Kidding) Bought my Taurus over twenty years ago and never had to fire it. Suits me; I don't like to use weapons. Haven't even hunted since I was a teenager.
"above or under your shoulder"
This will get you hurt with 12 gauge.
Maybe not the first or second round out but it is gonna happen.
As I'm thinkin' of it I realize that if I was at a no RSO range and saw someone tryin' this I would *ahem* introduce myself.
I will not stand and watch anyone endanger theirself or those nearby without acting.

Yeah, I sometimes become the most popular guy on the firing line.

Truth is I once did relieve a fella of his pistol grip Mossberg after he put a hole in the wall next to me as I entered the range.

Exceptional lack of gun control on his part or exemplary display of gun control on mine?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
slugs

My favorite.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by max crash View Post
I have a concealed weapons permit, it's good in any state that allows concealed weapons
Oklahoma respects these states CCW http://www.usacarry.com/oklahoma_con...formation.html

Oklahoma's CCW permits outside of Oklahoma: http://www.usacarry.com/oklahoma_con...formation.html

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit(s) Not Honored In:
California, Connecticut, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, Wisconsin, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands

Res Permits Only:
Colorado, Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina

Old 07-10-2014, 02:07 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

But getting back to your original question, Mike, Mohican (that rewriting SOB) has it right: keep that sucker tight to your shoulder. Also it helps to not try to stop all the recoil, especially if you're shooting 3" Mags and ESPECIALLY if you're shooting both barrels of a double-barrel loaded with 3" Mags. In other words, keep the stock tight to your shoulder but let your shoulder roll a little bit with the recoil. You'll have a much more usable appendage at the end of the day.

Shooting a pistol-grip you're better off holding it against your hip with your left hand on top of the barrel, unless you're shooting one of the old .410 'Snake Charmers' in which case it can be held like any large caliber pistol.

If you're strong enough a pistol grip can be held somewhat out front but please, don't ever hold one straight out in front of you and pull the trigger. The damage to the face and eye done by a recoiling shotgun can be horrific.

And Nick pointed something out I should have clarified: Your 'shoulder' means the pec just inboard of your shoulder but you should still let it roll.

Last edited by JustcallmeEd; 07-10-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Just put your Bible between the stock and your shoulder -- that should do it.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

It would help. Especially with those three-inch Mags.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post

If you're strong enough a pistol grip can be held somewhat out front but please, don't ever hold one straight out in front of you and pull the trigger. The damage to the face and eye done by a recoiling shotgun can be horrific.

And if you get the bright idea to rest your cheek on a pistol grip shotgun that's sportin' a side saddle (to enhance aim, of course) don't do it!

My mustache covers the learning curve scar quite nicely.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Just put your Bible between the stock and your shoulder -- that should do it.
If there was enough recoil you would then be considered a serious Bible Thumper.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post
It would help. Especially with those three-inch Mags.
uhmmm. 12 gage three inch Brenneke slugs. Good for what ails you.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

And do you see any connection between easy gun ownership and high school massacres?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe