WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Indie Authors Are Unscrupulously Cool

Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 PM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125
Default Indie Authors Are Unscrupulously Cool

Hiya! Here is my latest article/opinion piece from A Little Literary (a Lotta Coffee) on the self-publishing angle. I'd love if you get the time to go to my website and follow! www.alittleliterary.blogspot.com

Thanks WB (:

Indie Authors (Are Unscrupulously Cool)

I have decided this. I’ve always thought being “indie” sounded badass, underground and hip. But I never quite made the plunge like I’ve recently decided to do. I think maybe the ideal is to join up—to become a cog in a literary agency and find publication through a well-known name that will really get your work out there (and quite possibly even support you financially). But even being backed by an established name like Penguin or Simon & Schuster or Harlequin carries the danger of being swept under the rug, lost in a sea of pro-writers. You have to promote YOU, Indie or no.

In the world of self-publishing, writing is diluted and you have to sift through a lot to get to the good stuff. But I still maintain it offers more advantage than disadvantage, for both readers and writers. You just have to talk about your work. Get a little self-centered. Media-whore yourself a bit and call in favors for people to read and review your stories. Heck, ask people who don’t even owe you favors. If you believe in your writing, and if your a good writer, put it out there. It’s an exciting time for indie-authors!!!

Take indie author Devon Winterson, whom I’ve had the pleasure and luck of meeting through the best critique group on the entire Internet, Writer's Beat:

I highly recommend you join this forum before self-publishing anything, as it is full of fun, friendly, and most importantly, ACTIVE writers who will read and critique your stuff, as long as you read a bit of theirs first. It's a great system, and I've received a lot of helpful advice there.

Anywho, “Open Your Heart to Chance” has four stories inspired by Winterson's beloved golden retriever.

She’s offering the collection free on her website, Imagination Ether Press at http://caendoria.com/.

Winterson uses Smashwords and Goodreads, with the option to donate one dollar to the charitable Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue Foundation. Here Ms. Winterson mixes writing fiction with her heart for philanthropy, which is quite an admirable way to use one’s indie publishing superpowers. She has several novel length works coming soon, including:

The Perfect Player

--a dark fantasy available on Amazon and Goodreads this November, all of which can be found on her website.

My recent research into places like Smashwords, Lulu, Amazon and Goodreads, as well as the reading of many a beautifully written indie works has inspired me to dip my toes into independent publishing. Though finishing my bachelor’s has put the novel on hold, I do plan to release my own collection of shorts—a dark, insane collection about dark, insane women. The stories will be horrific (in genre, but hopefully not in craft), and their characters psychologically deranged. It’s a Poe-esque nod to the woman scorned, with perhaps a touch of warning to our male counterparts? All in good fun, of course! I hope to write more on the topic and share some samples here. I plan on finishing the collection, having them professionally edited, and having cover art created by a good designer. All things I need to look into, all work done by me, for my craft. It’s all within my control, and it’s an extremely gratifying artistic position to be in.

I've recently run into a snob de littérature (who's screen name shall remain nameless) who gathered up the keyboard courage on a writing forum I visit to scoff at fellow writers who employ free websites to promote their writing...simply because of their being free. To that, I say, HA. And HA again. I'll continue using BlogSpot, and applaud other impoverished writers smart enough to use the tools at their disposal. I'll also use the free publishing services at Amazon, and save what little funds I have to ensure some professional grade editing, and to purchase more great writers' works. I may be the poor man's writer, but that doesn't mean I don't love art. So, keep on with BlogSpot and Wordpress and economic venues of self-publishing. If I haven't made it big yet, at least I can work and get my work out, then see what happens. So, yeah, down with the man and all that.

Thanks for reading! I'll leave you with an image that inspired one of the four shorts to appear in my collection, which involves Paris and prostitutes. Here's the Pont Louis Philippe:

Gorgeous or what? Happy reading. Write (and publish) hard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="images/smilies/coffee.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cocoa" class="inlineimg" />
Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Read, and left a comment on your blog.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Thanks, Devon. As always, you are most awesome.

src="images/smilies/coffee.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cocoa" class="inlineimg" />
The Following User Says Thank You to singphantom7 For This Useful Post:
Devon (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Good blog. I like blogs.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

You make me blush, Sing. Lol! You're equally as awesome, you know!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

I'm continuingly impressed with the true heart-felt thanks and solid friendships I've seen (and are a part of) since showing up here on the Beat. The place is unique and filled with writers of diverse talent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagit For This Useful Post:
Devon (08-25-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Kristofer S (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I love it!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Right on, bagit. I've been on the Beat this long for that very reason. Thanks so much for reading kristofer!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Newbie (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Glad to hear that everyone here gets along so well. Hoping my post in a few minutes (once I hit my required 5 posts) will garner some helpful suggestions! Like the blog by the way, will definitely read and support!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM
singphantom7 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 125

Thanks, Newbie. That's cool of you!!!

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction