WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

meditation

Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908
Icon3 meditation

what is meditation?
I don't meditate myself but it intrigues me to hear others do.
I believe there are different types of meditation and so how does one decide which is better and which isn't?

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 05-23-2018, 03:08 AM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 117

weirdly, I think brianpatrick summed it up rather well somewhere on a thread here, he can prolly remember where and repeat the sentiment ...

although, at the end of the day we’re alive and lucky to be so, unique, flawed, human, feeling - never meditated beyond the bp sentiment of meditation - which is a real thing of beauty if you can find it within yourself ...

Last edited by anna; 05-23-2018 at 03:12 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
Nacia (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
what is meditation?
I don't meditate myself but it intrigues me to hear others do.
I believe there are different types of meditation and so how does one decide which is better and which isn't?
Nacia, good to see you back. What is ..../// You have to walk the path yourself. Getting advice from others is similar to receiving second-hand clothes. Self- learning and self-discovery are both rewarding. Both are like working for a paycheck and then with your hard-earned cash, you are able to stroll into a boutique to purchase beautiful, brand new threads.

You are correct in stating there are many types. You may google a form that suits you. The simple ones reduce stress and lower blood pressure. The complicated ones may transform an individual into a psychic or a healer. Most are safe, but some are dangerous. It's a journey that only the individual may take. Most people who meditate -- especially Kundalini style -- ought to have a guru or instructor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Nacia (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:08 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Okay, so... hereís meditation.

At first itís probably helpful to sit quietly or lay down somewhere, the position doesnít really matter. Somewhere quiet perhaps, not necessarily silent, but without TV or radio or music, whatever. If you hear nature or cars outside, or your neighbor mowing the lawn, thatís okay. Donít let what you are not in control of throw you off.

Then, watch yourself think. Donít direct your thoughts. When you realize you are ďfollowingĒ a thought, stop. Gently. Donít scold yourself or get disappointed. Go back to watching.

Eventually you will feel like there is a watcher and a watched. Just keep watching. See what your ďbrainĒ does. Iíll tell you: it thinks, but like CB said, you have to see that for yourself. Nobody can help you with that. It never stops thinking because thatís what it does, thatís itís function. So... keep watching it ďthinkĒ without interrupting as much as possible. But again, donít get frustrated when it ďmisbehavesĒ or summons your emotions with a tasty thought.

Just watch it.

After a while you will be able to do this everywhere, and all the time.

Just keep doing it.

Donít have a goal for it, just do it and see what happens. Donít go to a teacher, or let anybody tell you how itís supposed to go. Certainly donít pay money for some technique. Thatís a scam, or an idiot.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:48 PM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 117

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Okay, so... hereís meditation.

At first itís probably helpful to sit quietly or lay down somewhere, the position doesnít really matter. Somewhere quiet perhaps, not necessarily silent, but without TV or radio or music, whatever. If you hear nature or cars outside, or your neighbor mowing the lawn, thatís okay. Donít let what you are not in control of throw you off.

Then, watch yourself think. Donít direct your thoughts. When you realize you are ďfollowingĒ a thought, stop. Gently. Donít scold yourself or get disappointed. Go back to watching.

Eventually you will feel like there is a watcher and a watched. Just keep watching. See what your ďbrainĒ does. Iíll tell you: it thinks, but like CB said, you have to see that for yourself. Nobody can help you with that. It never stops thinking because thatís what it does, thatís itís function. So... keep watching it ďthinkĒ without interrupting as much as possible. But again, donít get frustrated when it ďmisbehavesĒ or summons your emotions with a tasty thought.

Just watch it.

After a while you will be able to do this everywhere, and all the time.

Just keep doing it.

Donít have a goal for it, just do it and see what happens. Donít go to a teacher, or let anybody tell you how itís supposed to go. Certainly donít pay money for some technique. Thatís a scam, or an idiot.

um, repeat the same patterns over decades ...
Old 05-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Nacia, good to see you back. What is ..../// You have to walk the path yourself. Getting advice from others is similar to receiving second-hand clothes. Self- learning and self-discovery are both rewarding. Both are like working for a paycheck and then with your hard-earned cash, you are able to stroll into a boutique to purchase beautiful, brand new threads.

You are correct in stating there are many types. You may google a form that suits you. The simple ones reduce stress and lower blood pressure. The complicated ones may transform an individual into a psychic or a healer. Most are safe, but some are dangerous. It's a journey that only the individual may take. Most people who meditate -- especially Kundalini style -- ought to have a guru or instructor.
hi there Cityboy and thank you for the welcome it is nice to be back and chatting to you.
I have no intention of meditating any time soon I was just raising the subject because I need to understand the need for it that is all.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 05-23-2018, 03:12 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Originally Posted by anna View Post
um, repeat the same patterns over decades ...

Maybe... but I think itís better not to have someone tell you what will happen. Better to find out yourself with no explanations, no goals.

I used to read books about it, listen to teachers, and it delayed the magic, the beauty. They filled my head with so much bullshit. On one hand meditation teaching is a business. I canít fault someone for making a living, but it will not help any of the ďstudents.Ē Itís counter-productive. You have to see it for yourself, in your own words. There arenít words for real meditation. Itís as natural as breathing. CB made a good sentence about it, although I donít think it can be dangerous. That part I donít agree with.

The brain can be dangerous, but if you refuse to get caught in the working of the brain it has no power really.

I also donít think meditation will make you psychic or anything like that, but it will help you see some things that most other people donít see.

It also wonít give you ďenlightenmentĒ (whatever that is).

You can find what you should already know through meditation. You can learn to live and speak with intention. You can take yourself off auto-pilot.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Awakening symptoms often associated with peace and enlightenment is actually dangerous. The very famous meditation gurus explain the basis of danger such that a lot of times a severe outburst of inner energy like this can have negative instead of positive results on the human body.Feb 18, 2016

Not to frighten anyone, but the awakening of the Kundalini without an instructor (guru) may drive a human being mad.

For expertise on the topic, one may read "Kundalini for the New Age." The world-renowned yogi, Gopi Krishna,reveals the remarkable source of psychic energy that lies within us all.

When the chakras (seven invisible wheels located on the spine) are opened they begin to pulsate (they beat similar to heartbeat). A surge of energy rises from the base of the spine to the crown of the head. If this energy is misdirected it may cause serious harm.

Brian, not for nothing, but "what you don't think" and what experts (not me) "know" about the topic through their own experiences with it are not the same. If I were you, I wouldn't be giving out advice based upon my "knowledge" of the topic. Apparently, you know little or nothing at all about it. // By no means am I trying to put you down, all I'm saying is that you know nothing about it and you are dishing out misleading information. I get it: you're trying to protect your "beliefs" at whatever cost. But, people have been seriously harmed without proper guidance. Read Mr. Krishna's books. He was an average man, railroad worker in India.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-23-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Anybody meditating who is without an instructor should "google" or "youtube": The dangers of Kundalini Yoga. It's always better to play it safe. Even question the source -- make sure the person is reputable, one who has expertise knowledge about the topic.

// Brian, are you a landscaper? When your child is ill, do you seek a lawn doctor or a medical doctor? Do you get my drift?

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-23-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 04:30 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Awakening symptoms often associated with peace and enlightenment is actually dangerous. The very famous meditation gurus explain the basis of danger such that a lot of times a severe outburst of inner energy like this can have negative instead of positive results on the human body.Feb 18, 2016

Not to frighten anyone, but the awakening of the Kundalini without an instructor (guru) may drive a human being mad.

For expertise on the topic, one may read "Kundalini for the New Age." The world-renowned yogi, Gopi Krishna,reveals the remarkable source of psychic energy that lies within us all.

When the chakras (seven invisible wheels located on the spine) are opened they begin to pulsate (they beat similar to heartbeat). A surge of energy rises from the base of the spine to the crown of the head. If this energy is misdirected it may cause serious harm.

Brian, not for nothing, but "what you don't think" and what experts (not me) "know" about the topic through their own experiences with it are not the same. If I were you, I wouldn't be giving out advice based upon my "knowledge" of the topic. Apparently, you know little or nothing at all about it. // By no means am I trying to put you down, all I'm saying is that you know nothing about it and you are dishing out misleading information. I get it: you're trying to protect your "beliefs" at whatever cost. But, people have been seriously harmed without proper guidance. Read Mr. Krishna's books. He was an average man, railroad worker in India.

Nonsense...
Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Anybody meditating who is without an instructor should "google" or "youtube": The dangers of Kundalini Yoga. It's always better to play it safe. Even question the source -- make sure the person is reputable, one who has expertise knowledge about the topic.

// Brian, are you a landscaper? When your child is ill, do you seek a lawn doctor or a medical doctor? Do you get my drift?

Still more nonsense... all this Kundalini yoga silliness is a business, and so are the books these people write. Gurus are business men, just like priests.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Brian, seriously, is silliness your best respond in a discussion in the Intellectual Table. And what gives you the authority to make such bold statements about meditation? Have you had any training? If so, for how long? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? And for how long each day? Have you opened your chakras? Have you felt the surge of energy travel up your spine? Have you mentally directed that energy to a dis-eased location in your body to heal it? As far as I can tell, the only thing you know about meditation is how to make fun of people who do it.

You have made yourself a prisoner of your own close-mindedness. A pity or pitiful, whichever.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Brian, seriously, is silliness your best respond in a discussion in the Intellectual Table. And what gives you the authority to make such bold statements about meditation? Have you had any training? If so, for how long? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? And for how long each day? Have you opened your chakras? Have you felt the surge of energy travel up your spine? Have you mentally directed that energy to a dis-eased location in your body to heal it? As far as I can tell, the only thing you know about meditation is how to make fun of people who do it.

You have made yourself a prisoner of your own close-mindedness. A pity or pitiful, whichever.

30 years of experience. I have had every kind of training you can find. 99.9% of the training was useless. 99.9% of the books written about the subject are written so the author can make money. Chakras are a metaphor much like Greek mythology.

Anyone who tells you they can direct energy to diseased parts of their own body is trying to sell you something.

Yoga is exercise, nothing more. Meditation is an exploration of the self. This may not sound as flashy as some super-stimulation like Chakras, enlightenment, or psychic healing, but itís more than most people can imagine.

Most people you will meet are functioning on auto-pilot. They, very indirectly, influence their own lives or the lives of their families and friends. They do it without intention. Things just happen to them and they react. Nonetheless, they change the world in this fashion into what it is now.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 PM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 117

Maybe... but I think itís better not to have someone tell you what will happen. Better to find out yourself with no explanations, no goals.

I used to read books about it, listen to teachers, and it delayed the magic, the beauty. They filled my head with so much bullshit. On one hand meditation teaching is a business. I canít fault someone for making a living, but it will not help any of the ďstudents.Ē Itís counter-productive. You have to see it for yourself, in your own words. There arenít words for real meditation. Itís as natural as breathing. CB made a good sentence about it, although I donít think it can be dangerous. That part I donít agree with.

The brain can be dangerous, but if you refuse to get caught in the working of the brain it has no power really.

I also donít think meditation will make you psychic or anything like that, but it will help you see some things that most other people donít see.

It also wonít give you ďenlightenmentĒ (whatever that is).

You can find what you should already know through meditation. You can learn to live and speak with intention. You can take yourself off auto-pilot.

... life is pattern making

certainly thereís no quick fix or magic bullet to finding peace within yourself Ďmeditational techniquesí on offer for those seeking personal enlightenment can be counterproductive and in that respect harmful. There is no right way.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:10 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

... life is pattern making

certainly thereís no quick fix or magic bullet to finding peace within yourself Ďmeditational techniquesí on offer for those seeking personal enlightenment can be counterproductive and in that respect harmful. There is no right way.

Yeah, no quick fix or magic bullet. Some people are born with it, some people find it, some people will never find it, and some donít need it at all. In fact, Iím leaning toward the hypothesis that thatís exactly the way it should be, and how the whole ball of wax functions.

Nothing any of us tells anyone else will be of any help unless they figure out how to translate it into their own language. And many things that seem dysfunctional also serve to push life forward.

I try to have a good time on the ride. I donít know what else I could do.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
anna (05-23-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:43 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 183

Meditation is a method of connecting with the universal "I". It's a way of discovering who you really are, beneath the noise of mental activity. Thinking is not you. And you do not live in your head. The self you identify with is a creation of ego, but it does not exist. Meditation can help to discover this.

Most people live in a state of unconsciousness, some in a state of deep unconsciousness. Awakening is simply becoming conscious. It is natural and "full of bliss" according to practitioners. Certainly not something to be feared. However, long repressed emotion can emerge during meditation and can manifest as pain, sorrow, anger, or any negative emotion. This may seem overwhelming. But once you know that emotions are like waves on the surface of the ocean you let them pass. They are not you either.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:38 AM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 117

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Meditation is a method of connecting with the universal "I". It's a way of discovering who you really are, beneath the noise of mental activity. Thinking is not you. And you do not live in your head. The self you identify with is a creation of ego, but it does not exist. Meditation can help to discover this.

Most people live in a state of unconsciousness, some in a state of deep unconsciousness. Awakening is simply becoming conscious. It is natural and "full of bliss" according to practitioners. Certainly not something to be feared. However, long repressed emotion can emerge during meditation and can manifest as pain, sorrow, anger, or any negative emotion. This may seem overwhelming. But once you know that emotions are like waves on the surface of the ocean you let them pass. They are not you either.

Meditation can help you discover that you truly fortunate to have a head to think thoughts, create and interpret emotions within ...
Old 05-24-2018, 04:39 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Brian, detecting a tremendous amount of dislike and disdain in you for certain things and individuals -- not so "peachy." You should get to know yourself first before you go around telling people how much you know about something which you know really nothing about.

You don't know what else you could do. Well, for starters, you may stop instructing people on topics you know nothing about, topics which only swell an awful amount of hatred within you and cause you to blindly lash out against it. That's what I believe you ought to do.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:56 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

hi there Cityboy and thank you for the welcome it is nice to be back and chatting to you.
I have no intention of meditating any time soon I was just raising the subject because I need to understand the need for it that is all.

Just keep writing poetry. If you decide to mediate in the near future, I advise you to read at least one book by Gopi Krishna who is a master on the practice. You should also join a meditation class operated by a reputable instructor.

One good place to start is with his book: "Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man."

It is an autobiographical account of what happens to the mind and body when the kundalini is aroused spontaneously. It describes, upheavals and final balanced entry into another dimension, as well as the traditional Hindu Theories about this force.

Without injecting my ego into this, I just want to state that everything this mystic (Mr. Krishna) has written in his book is true. For, I was there myself to experience it firsthand.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to write this.
Nacia (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Just keep writing poetry. If you decide to mediate in the near future, I advise you to read at least one book by Gopi Krishna who is a master on the practice. You should also join a meditation class operated by a reputable instructor.

One good place to start is with his book: "Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man."

It is an autobiographical account of what happens to the mind and body when the kundalini is aroused spontaneously. It describes, upheavals and final balanced entry into another dimension, as well as the traditional Hindu Theories about this force.

Without injecting my ego into this, I just want to state that everything this mystic (Mr. Krishna) has written in his book is true. For, I was there myself to experience it firsthand.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to write this.
hello Cityboy I shall carry one being a poetry writer for sure.
I am not going to consider meditation because my mind wont agree with it.
I consider it to be a kind of escapism.

how were you there to experience it?
can you elaborate a bit ?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Meditation can help you discover that you truly fortunate to have a head to think thoughts, create and interpret emotions within ...
but how would you know for sure that is what you are experiencing is the correct thing when you are totally out there on your own?
there is no communication.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

hello Cityboy I shall carry one being a poetry writer for sure.
I am not going to consider meditation because my mind wont agree with it.
I consider it to be a kind of escapism.

how were you there to experience it?
can you elaborate a bit ?
Like prose or poetry, it has to be mastered. It has nothing to do with "escapism." In fact, emptying one's mind of pesky thoughts isn't as simple as it seems. Just do what you like. I wanted only to answer your initial question as best as I possibly could.

Elaborate -- pulsating chakras, energy surge up spine, and rapid vibrations across body all occur to individual when Kundalini awakens.
Nacia (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Like prose or poetry, it has to be mastered. It has nothing to do with "escapism." In fact, emptying one's mind of pesky thoughts isn't as simple as it seems. Just do what you like. I wanted only to answer your initial question as best as I possibly could.

Elaborate -- pulsating chakras, energy surge up spine, and rapid vibrations across body all occur to individual when Kundalini awakens.

Cityboy I agree that emptying one's mind is the ultimate happy and free thought.
I think with me I can do that by doing physical things or writing it is my way of dealing with it and it works for me.
meditation is not something that crops up to mind it is simply that.
I was however going to ask when did you first consider meditation?
was it your idea or someone else's?
how old were you when you first undertook meditation.
I hope you do not mind all these questions I am just interested.

about the last part I am not sure I get it.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 05-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Cityboy is gay. I just had to say it.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Cityboy is gay. I just had to say it.
Konan is that a meaning for something?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 05-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Cityboy I agree that emptying one's mind is the ultimate happy and free thought.
I think with me I can do that by doing physical things or writing it is my way of dealing with it and it works for me.
meditation is not something that crops up to mind it is simply that.
I was however going to ask when did you first consider meditation?
was it your idea or someone else's?
how old were you when you first undertook meditation.
I hope you do not mind all these questions I am just interested.

about the last part I am not sure I get it.
Nacia, I agree with you 100%. The trick in life is to continue doing the things you enjoy. Naturally, with you, it's poetry. With another, prose. Yet another, bicycle riding. I believe everything in life has a purpose. Where we are today is probably where we are supposed to be, according to our habits and beliefs. The journey never ends. It's all about growth, and if you grow through your writing, good for you because that's exactly the vehicle for your growth. Age really doesn't have anything to do with intuition. It's like this: every walk along a path and when you come to a fork something seems to nudge you in one specific direction. There's so much stuff going on beyond the five senses that the wisest of the wise couldn't explain it all. But, just do what you enjoy -- because you're taking care of yourself and when you take care of yourself (in an unselfish way), you're more inclined to help others. Contentment leads to growth which leads to helping others. If that makes any sense to you.
Nacia (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Konan is that a meaning for something?

Nope. Just gay.

I would however like to get a little bit of that kundalini. Maybe my third eye will open and I can stick something in it. Hope itís juicy.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Gay. Straight. Crooked. Live life to the fullest. Nacia, they just want attention. That's it in a nutshell.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-24-2018 at 02:04 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Gay. Straight. Crooked. Live life to the fullest. Nacia, they just want attention. That's it in a nutshell.

No, no, youíre actually just wrong about the whole thing. Meditation, I mean. When I was in my early twenties I wanted all of that super-stimuli to be real too. Hell, Iíd still love for the ancient aliens theory to be real somehow. But... itís not.

Gopi Krishna is a complete fraud. A charlatan. I donít fault him for making a living, but donít quote his nonsense as though it had anything to do with reality. Itís entertainment. It is so obvious when you see him speak, read his writing, etc.

Meditation has nothing to do with concentration, or hypnotizing oneís self.

Look, itís so obvious that you donít know what the heck youíre talking about here. Itís like if you tried to tell me how to plumb a house or play the bass guitar.

I suggest you take a hot bath and masturbate. At least there you would be an expert.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Nope. Just gay.

I would however like to get a little bit of that kundalini. Maybe my third eye will open and I can stick something in it. Hope itís juicy.
it is quite worrying that the word gay predominate.
I feel it to be inappropriate to be used in this way randomly.
I am not so sure it is a good thing to do because many who are gay will find that offensive. just saying.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table