WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

TEOTWAWKI / SHTF / Post Apoc thread

Old 02-24-2018, 07:21 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732
Default TEOTWAWKI / SHTF / Post Apoc thread

TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It
SHTF - Shit Hit The Fan
Post Apoc: Post (insert your scenario here) Apocalypse - a genre of fiction that is, once again, ramping up.

The O.P. is requesting that this thread be kept on point.

Can I do that, and still start out with something I find a fair amount of humor in?

Yes.

Jim Bakker - infamous Televangelist is now preparing his viewers for TEOTWAKI.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/liv...200297074.html
BLUE EYE, Mo.

Three decades after his PTL empire near Charlotte crumbled amid financial and sex scandals, Jim Bakker is back on TV with a different, darker message:
The Apocalypse is coming and you better get ready.

Ready to be judged by God, sure. But the main mission of “The Jim Bakker Show” – broadcast from a Christian compound deep in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri – appears to be to sell you fuel-less generators, doomsday guidebooks and freeze-dried food with a shelf-life of up to 30 years.

Bakker, whose co-host is second wife Lori, says stocking up on such survivalist merchandise could keep you alive amid the catastrophes – earthquakes, hurricanes, war, famine – that some Christians believe are signs that End Times are near.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

We had a neighbor who spent a bunch of money on freeze dried foods that he kept in the basement for whenever it hits the fan. It cost a lot of money and his wife was upset about it. Then he got really pissed when he found she'd been using it to make dinner when he was out of town. They had one teenage girl and she was in on it with her mom. Pretty funny.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:28 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
We had a neighbor who spent a bunch of money on freeze dried foods that he kept in the basement for whenever it hits the fan. It cost a lot of money and his wife was upset about it. Then he got really pissed when he found she'd been using it to make dinner when he was out of town. They had one teenage girl and she was in on it with her mom. Pretty funny.
If he replaces with new supplies then does the argument escalate?

If he's on the road a lot, and your area has occasional outages then having something on hand makes sense. I'm not saying it has to be "expensive freeze dried" foods.

I know a lot of people, especially in winter months that keep a months worth of supplies on hand.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:33 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Some of the "super rich" are prepping for TEOTWAWKI.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...the-super-rich

An armed guard stands at the entrance of the Survival Condo Project, a former missile silo north of Wichita, Kansas, that has been converted into luxury apartments for people worried about the crackup of civilization.

Photograph by Dan Winters for The New Yorker

Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about: he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m fucked.”

Old 02-25-2018, 06:34 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

We keep food and water on hand for power outages and other potential emergencies.

I just thought it was kind of amusing -- the passive aggressive behavior -- that she was angry that he spent the money on the food and then she was eating it and not telling him about it...
Old 03-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

London 4 meals away from anarchy?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/britain-a...060000661.html

Old 03-17-2018, 07:42 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post

Sounds good to me. Maybe we could get their chip shops in trade for some juice.

Also sounds like wishful thinking...

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t1078474/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 PM
anna (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 136

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6985461.html

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Anna : Is there a TEOTAWAKI component to those articles that I did not pick up on?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:46 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Anna : Is there a TEOTAWAKI component to those articles that I did not pick up on?

Seriously?!?! Read them again.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 385

In the office where I work it rained pretty hard one day the upper floors flooded and the ceiling in my office collapsed, wetting everything on top of my desk. So I put everything on the floor.

Years later it rained so hard the creek, not that far from where I work, over-flowed and the water washed into the first floor where I work (as far down the food chain as possible) saturating the carpets and wetting everything under my desk.

The lesson I learnt is any contingency plan I put into place can be screwed by the manner of the Apocalyptic event.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by PickleBottom; 03-18-2018 at 06:59 PM..
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 385

Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about: he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m fucked.”
This guy watches The Twilight Zone, this is why he doesn't want to go down the glasses route.

If I remember correctly there was that episode where the guy just wanted to read books but was nagged by his wife, then he loses his wife and the rest of the world to an apocalyptic event and he realises he has all the books to read in the world, with no wife to nag him... but his glasses are broken. Yep, when Apocalypse goes against you. Every devil and daemon from here to Christendom would want to make someone's Post-Apocalyptic life ironic or unfortunate .

Moses - I built this boat for when the flood comes
Moses Post Apocalypse - Oh shit, it is a drying apocalypse rather than a wetting apocalypse...
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-20-2018, 03:26 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

It's easy to make fun of Bakker and his ilk, but that's a diversion. Set aside all the religious pomposity that makes so many squeamish and just look at civilization from a historical perspective. There's a certain point--about where we are now--that civilization has never surpassed. Usually the government crumbles beneath corruption and mass spending and the people break into different factions to survive anarchy. You don't have to be a Jesus-freak to see that this doesn't end well.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:14 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

That's likely true -- but I doubt Bakker cares about any of that -- including the religious angle.

I talked to his son about ten years ago, and he said despite his dad's fall from grace and felony convictions, he would figure out a way to get back on TV and make a buck off gullible Christians -- and here we are.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 AM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,380

That's likely true -- but I doubt Bakker cares about any of that -- including the religious angle.

I talked to his son about ten years ago, and he said despite his dad's fall from grace and felony convictions, he would figure out a way to get back on TV and make a buck off gullible Christians -- and here we are.
The Lord helps those that help theirselves axiom in action?

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 03-24-2018 at 04:30 AM..
Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I guess -- if the lord helps Bakker use fear and people's faith so he can help himself to their money.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,380

I guess -- if the lord helps Bakker use fear and people's faith so he can help himself to their money.
Looking back through history I note some rather capricious deity ascribed activity.

Flood and pillars of post human salt are two that immediately come to mind. And there is that "... works in mysterious ways" caveat.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

The Lord works in mysterious ways = All this stuff I believe is totally illogical, but oh well, I'm gonna stick with it.

Last edited by Myers; 03-24-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Old 03-24-2018, 10:48 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,380

The Lord works in mysterious ways = All this stuff I believe is totally illogical, but oh well, I'm gonna stick with it.
A tight riff comin' from a guitar is music to one ear's interpretation while the same riff to another's ear can be incoherent sound.

Perhaps a great deal of what we hold to be true is truely simply prejudice for our viewpoints.

One man's meat is a vegetarian's poison, eh?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:53 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Sure. Whatever people want or need to believe -- as long as they mind their own business.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,380

Sure. Whatever people want or need to believe -- as long as they mind their own business.
Any suggestion on how to deal with them if they refuse to mind their own business?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Hopefully, it's a situation where they can simply be ignored.

Harder to do if it's a Vice President or something...
Old 03-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

In my state there's a law that says you can't have structures of more than 3 stories made of wood -- because it's a fire hazard. A state senator (I believe) is against the regulation because there's a big lumber industry here.

He said, "The ark was made of wood, the Titanic was made of steel."

So you know, stuff like that...
Old 03-25-2018, 11:53 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Hopefully, it's a situation where they can simply be ignored.

Harder to do if it's a Vice President or something...

The Vice President can still pretty much be ignored.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Uh, yeah. For now...
Old 03-25-2018, 12:31 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Uh, yeah. For now...

I always think Pence would look great in a Nazi SS uniform—that big square head he got. But, that doesn’t mean I think he’s a Nazi.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (03-25-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Curious. Is SHTF a real thing? I know it's one of those things people say, but there had to be a first time. Maybe someone was shoveling cow shit, because that was their job. And maybe there was fan there. Because it was hot? Really, I think it's the fan that gives me the most problems. If I have to shovel shit, do I really want a fan nearby? Maybe to help carry the smell away? And so, there was a fan and there was shit. Somewhere along the line the shit hit the fan. And that's when things got really bad or really funny. Depends on your perspective.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:17 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
Curious. Is SHTF a real thing? I know it's one of those things people say, but there had to be a first time. Maybe someone was shoveling cow shit, because that was their job. And maybe there was fan there. Because it was hot? Really, I think it's the fan that gives me the most problems. If I have to shovel shit, do I really want a fan nearby? Maybe to help carry the smell away? And so, there was a fan and there was shit. Somewhere along the line the shit hit the fan. And that's when things got really bad or really funny. Depends on your perspective.

The funnier thing is the shit hits the fan every second in this world, and daily, someone somewhere experiences TEOTWAWKI. We don’t see it from Idaho, or Raleigh, or Los Angeles, but it happens. It’s happening in Syria, all over, right now. Yemen too. It happens on an individual level everywhere. This guy I know just lost his wife and daughter in a car accident on Sunday morning. He’s a mess. Pretty sure he wouldn’t give two shits about where the world goes, or does.

We talk about the devastation of civilization as a whole like that’s the only thing that matters. It’s a luxury to be able to do so. I’m hoping to skate through the opening in the facade just before I die. Could be 50 years, could be tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

How the "Tech Rich " plan to spend the zombie apocalypse

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...sm-singularity

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table