WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 06-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

I am taking some online EMS CE (continuing education) - and many of the courses have attending videos. In the videos (and some of the slides) they often have the EMTs/Paramedics doing investigatory sleuthing. Kid has a seizure? One of the EMTs looks at patients room and finds a bag of crystal looking thingies. Is the house clean? (you might be surprised at how many medical providers, firefighters, cops, etc view a cluttered house as abuse - I've know cops that upon seeing clothes stacked in on a couch and not put away have called children's services.) And so on.

Last fall, prior to my wife having surgery they asked us both questions about her home environment prior to her surgery. Did we drink to excess, did we take drugs. Do we abuse each other or our children? Do we have any guns? and on and on.

I told them that they were being too intrusive, and the nurse questioning us agreed, but said it's often required.

I have a obligation as an EMT to report child and elder abuse - and I consider it as much a moral obligation as a legal obligation, so I get part of this.

But I am also disconcerted at the increasing scope and purview that big brother wants in our lives.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I am taking some online EMS CE (continuing education) - and many of the courses have attending videos. In the videos (and some of the slides) they often have the EMTs/Paramedics doing investigatory sleuthing. Kid has a seizure? One of the EMTs looks at patients room and finds a bag of crystal looking thingies. Is the house clean? (you might be surprised at how many medical providers, firefighters, cops, etc view a cluttered house as abuse - I've know cops that upon seeing clothes stacked in on a couch and not put away have called children's services.) And so on.

Last fall, prior to my wife having surgery they asked us both questions about her home environment prior to her surgery. Did we drink to excess, did we take drugs. Do we abuse each other or our children? Do we have any guns? and on and on.

I told them that they were being too intrusive, and the nurse questioning us agreed, but said it's often required.

I have a obligation as an EMT to report child and elder abuse - and I consider it as much a moral obligation as a legal obligation, so I get part of this.

But I am also disconcerted at the increasing scope and purview that big brother wants in our lives.

They have to make the protocol lists as simple as possible to accommodate the dumbest of us. I wouldnít read too much in to it. The rules are probably not for you anyway.

Yeah, there will be people who take advantage (for some gain) of the legal aspects of the rules, but thereís always a correction.

I run into people who are very concerned about America becoming a communist, collective, globalist, autocracy, but mostly they are just afraid of losing control. And not really a justified concern, but a naive concern in accordance with their level of intelligence. Or, they are a mouthpiece for some political agenda. The talking head dipshits, (frequently) sociopathic, ambitious, self-seeking, driven movers (up the social-economic scale), completely callous to the harm they are causing in their rise up the ladder.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Having EMS become intrusive snoops is not a part of our protocol, whether on a state or local level.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Having EMS become intrusive snoops is not a part of our protocol, whether on a state or local level.

Heh, it is now😀
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

This goes back to scale, and putting a human scale on governance : https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/o...-politics.html

Old 06-23-2018, 10:10 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Duty is not rooted in abstract ideas, no matter who claims they are self-evident. Duty is man’s obligation to pursue the good according to his station in life within the Created Order.
Aaron Wolf

Last edited by Mohican; 06-23-2018 at 10:17 PM..
Old 06-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (07-25-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Old 07-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

“God is America’s king. She thought: Americans won’t obey any king on earth. Americans are free. That means they have to obey their own consciences. No king bosses Pa; he has to boss himself. Why (she thought), when I am a little older, Pa and Ma will stop telling me what to do, and there isn’t anyone else to give me orders. I will have to make myself be good. Her whole mind seemed to be lighted up by that thought. This is what it means to be free. It means, you have to be good. “Our Father’s God, author of Liberty—” The Laws of Nature and Nature’s God endow you with a right to life and liberty. Then you have to keep the laws of God, for God’s law is the only law that gives you a right to be free.”Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on The Prairie

fleamailman (07-25-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

fleamailman (07-25-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

The Bee Stings Bernie Sanders

https://babylonbee.com/news/bernie-s...e-third-house/

NORTH HERO, VTóSenator Bernie Sanders delivered a passionate monologue to a dozen lunch guests in the ornate living room of his summer vacation home on Lake Champlain Monday, railing against the evils of unbalanced capitalism, wealth accumulation, and the upper class, sources reported.

ďWe will never survive in this country while so few greedy rich people own so much!Ē he reportedly exclaimed inside the $600,000 lakeside home he and his wife recently added to their real estate portfolio, which already included homes in Burlington, VT and Washington, D.C. ďHow many cars, boats, and houses do these people need? Donít they know there are people who have nothing? How can they even sleep at night?!Ē

fleamailman (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,066

("...the trouble with that thanks button is that I use it like a "I have read it now" button, so then when I really like a post like that last one I'm at a loss to say that not only did read it, which I like doing, but I also loved it too..." mentioned the goblin in passing)
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Mohican (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

The place that leads 'Murrica in psychopaths is.....Washington DC

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...ostpsychopaths

Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

The place that leads 'Murrica in psychopaths is.....Washington DC

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...ostpsychopaths

Most psychopaths are a net positive to the economy and productivity, as well as creativity and growth. Only a small percentage are actually sadistic or violent. They are not often good relationship partners, but they get shit done.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 169

shit he talks a lot
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Most psychopaths are a net positive to the economy and productivity, as well as creativity and growth. Only a small percentage are actually sadistic or violent. They are not often good relationship partners, but they get shit done.

Having worked with, for and over a few psychopaths I will disagree with this. They might get things done short term, but especially in the case of CEOs they lead to turnover/churn, and often not stability.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Having worked with, for and over a few psychopaths I will disagree with this. They might get things done short term, but especially in the case of CEOs they lead to turnover/churn, and often not stability.

Well, in the long term there is no such thing as long-term systematic (hierarchical) stability. There are people who get shit done for a while and a bunch that donít.

Iím optimistic, but nobody has ever created a stable hierarchy yet. Maybe someone will one day. So far though, itís as nebulous as a utopian dream.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Ginsburg says she will hold out until there is a democrat president in office

https://babylonbee.com/news/ginsburg...enhowers-term/

Old 08-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Old 08-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

if we granted amnesty to illegal aliens, would the U.S. population suddenly be 369,000,000? 400,000,001?

Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

"The excesses of the late Roman Empire could not have predicted the madness that we have lived to see."

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

You are well past your zenith when you cannot respond to "vicious moped gangs"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/645288...here-happened/

https://www.breitbart.com/london/201...-khans-london/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rime-rise.html

Old 08-31-2018, 03:50 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

This seems like a propaganda thread where you post highly partisan rhetoric and articles and nobody really responds except for me and a smattering of othersóeven then, not a net positive.

I vote we close this thread as it does absolutely nothing for the site.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

another case of not being able to offer a valid counterpoint.

so you suggest censorship/silencing opposition views by democratic vote?

Sorry, you don't get a vote on this.

Last edited by Mohican; 09-01-2018 at 08:22 AM..
Old 09-01-2018, 09:12 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Okay, Iím not responding with a ďvalidĒ counterpoint because these are just fear mongering articles from tabloid outlets. They might be funny, but theyíre not true, and for someone who is not very bright or discerning, dangerous.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:22 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

This thread reminds me of THAT guy on Facebook who constantly posts right-wing memes with no genuine discussion about any kind of merit or objectivity. Those guys you have to eventually block because there can be no honest, nuanced discussion.

After a while you get the idea that they are not trying to help society, or the world around them, they are driving for a fixed ideology, pushing toward a singular goal, which has almost nothing to do with humanity, and everything to do with completing a task they seem to be fixated on.

That is giving YOU specifically the benefit of the doubt. There are also stupid people who do this kind of thing because they donít have the intellectual capacity not to. I donít believe youíre one of those people.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:28 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

I went back and reviewed the whole thread and other than scant postings by fleamailman (and very few others), itís all you and me.

I feel that this thread, whether intentional or not, is just a propaganda stream. Itís a shame you are the only real moderator because Iím pretty sure others (not chosen by you) would certainly object to this negligent behavior.

Please let go of your ego long enough to realize you are harming the world. Yeah, in a small way, but harming it still.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:54 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 415

Thanks to Mohican for making the Rules and Guidelines thread foremost:

" Too much of anything is never good. When posting, instead of making multiple posts, use the 'edit' button when you have something to add before someone else replies. We want to encourage discussions, not a monologue or soliloquy. Last time we checked, Writer's Beat was not a Shakespeare play. So if you want to plot world domination, please do it somewhere else."

Just gonna leave this here hehehe

Courtesy of BP
Old 09-01-2018, 03:08 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

So many people conflate nationalized or single payer healthcare with true socialism and failed economies like Venezuela.

Venezuela takes over oil industry and other multinational corporations: Socialism. Failed system.

Canada, European, Scandinavian countries etc. etc. with single payer systems in place for decades: MARKET, capitalist economies. NOT socialism...

Last edited by E. Zamora; 09-01-2018 at 08:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
daes13 (09-01-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

post by brianpatrick I went back and reviewed the whole thread and other than scant postings by fleamailman (and very few others), it’s all you and me.

I feel that this thread, whether intentional or not, is just a propaganda stream. It’s a shame you are the only real moderator because I’m pretty sure others (not chosen by you) would certainly object to this negligent behavior.

Please let go of your ego long enough to realize you are harming the world. Yeah, in a small way, but harming it still.

Ah, back to "if there were other mods..."

Going clear back to when I started at Writer's Beat there was someone I would term a very strident progressive. This person had requested to staff that I be banned.

The back and forth: Is he insulting you?

No.

Is he printing illegal things or things against the rules?

No.

Then why ban?

I am seeing the same thing from you, brian. You are not able to advance an argument that will turn me away from what I believe in, so you go into a personal attack mode. I am a shill. I am, in a small way bad for the world. If there were other, more "liberal mods" they would reign me in. When there were, they didn't? Why? Because I'm not breaking any rules? (perhaps what daes provision aside)

To be honest, we have ha long term members leave because of constant harassment, similar to what you try to apply to me. They named you and some of your clique as the culprits. In this case, you have been harmful.

You're statements that you don't care about rules or decorum, and that you think you have a right to tear people down because they have ideas that you don't believe in, does that do harm?

The long and the short of it is, there are things I am going to be unshakeable on, like faith. You, to use your own words, aren't going to be able to keep at me like a woodpecker until I change.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table