WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Personal Skills

Old 06-08-2018, 04:42 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920
Icon3 Personal Skills

what can you do apart from writing?
I believe we are all gifted with something skills that come on handy to help
yourself or others.

for example:
I can interpret few languages and crochet.
not a lot but still I consider them to be skills worthy of having.

what about you?

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,066

("...me too languages..." said the goblin who liked cycling, much as he liked growing orchids too, adding "...and I could pass for a calligraphist I guess...")
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Well, it's getting easier and easier with the changing laws and what not, but I used to be able to score weed in any city/town in the world. Now, you just need to cook up some horseshit about glaucoma, but it used to be more of a challenge, depending on where you were.

Some cities were always easy, like Anaheim or Bakersfield, but somewhere around 1983 I bought weed off pastor outside a Baptist minster's convention in Nashville, Tennessee.

I just had this eye for it. Sometimes my friends would freak out, "what are you doing? You can't just walk up to that guy and ask him to buy weed."

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. Plus, I have to admit we grow a lot better stuff now. In the 1970s, most of the weed was kind of skunky, but you made up for it with quantity.
The Following User Says Thank You to spshane For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
Well, it's getting easier and easier with the changing laws and what not, but I used to be able to score weed in any city/town in the world. Now, you just need to cook up some horseshit about glaucoma, but it used to be more of a challenge, depending on where you were.

Some cities were always easy, like Anaheim or Bakersfield, but somewhere around 1983 I bought weed off pastor outside a Baptist minster's convention in Nashville, Tennessee.

I just had this eye for it. Sometimes my friends would freak out, "what are you doing? You can't just walk up to that guy and ask him to buy weed."

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. Plus, I have to admit we grow a lot better stuff now. In the 1970s, most of the weed was kind of skunky, but you made up for it with quantity.
interesting.
But is it not marijuana legal in the us now?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 06-09-2018, 12:18 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199
Default Personal Skills

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
interesting.

But is it not marijuana legal in the us now?

Only in a few states, recreationally. Other states have exceptions for “medical” use with varying ways and conditions for which it can be prescribed. But the legal shit is very expensive so the black market still exists.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-09-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

I've had five or six lives, three of which involved building or remodelling houses, so I picked up a few DIY skills. Very basic carpentry and electric wiring. I'm good at painting, papering, daubing and stuccoing walls, but my drywall taping is barely passable (I hate the goddam sander!! hence the textured finishes).

Pretty good vegetarian cook, though we're keeping it simple now, for various health reasons. Growing the vegetables is more fun now that eating them.

I suppose I could still throw and okay pot - was never great at the wheel. Paint a little on canvas. And signs that say thing like "Free Kittens", "free books" and "free strawberry plants".

Mostly, I edit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Palindrome For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 495

Pretty much anything to do with construction or deconstruction. I've run heavy equipment, I can fell a tree exactly where I want it, milk a cow, nurse an injured owl back to health, paint a house, build a bridge, start a fire quickly; tear an old truck down to the frame, rebuild it all, and reassemble it properly; refinish furniture, talk a person out of shooting me, drive like a bat out of hell - I think we all have more skills than writing.

That's where the stories come from.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Mohican (06-12-2018), Nacia (06-10-2018)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table