WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

story

Old 08-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Clarissa (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default story

how to begin a story if rest of the thing is clear in our mind.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

I'm sure you know the answer to that question.

you just start and if you need more you back up in the story, less you move forward.

but I always start my stories with an introduction of my characters in some kind of short that leads to the story I want to tell.

but you have to take that first step, if it works then you are good if it doesn't then there is always the backspace key

just start writing.

Max
Old 08-03-2015, 02:50 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Originally Posted by Clarissa View Post
how to begin a story if rest of the thing is clear in our mind.

Once upon a time....etc.

You might want to start with something that will grab the readers attention.

Last edited by Gaines; 08-03-2015 at 03:44 AM..
Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 422

Start wherever it's clear in your mind at. As Max said you can always go back, or you could just let it stay the way it is.

Courtesy of BP
Old 08-03-2015, 04:56 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Just start it! Knock down the first page and you might realize the things that were clear in your head may twist and turn in directions you didn't imagine.

Above all, as Gaines indicated, grab the readers attention with some kind of emotion, intrigue or action.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

As a fast reference point think of where your characters will be when the issue/adventure starts, and begin the day before with their regular life.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Where ever you are in your mind, write it. Once you do, let it sit a few days, then go over it. If you are missing a beginning, it will come to you. If have have holes in the story, these will become known. Have more faith in your mind and write it down. Without the writing you just have a daydream. Do it. I have faith you will and I look forward to reading it.

Have a nice writing day, today.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 519

I'll say it again:

Just write it. Don't try to be eloquent or wise or funny or proud. Start writing the thoughts as they come to your head. Don't worry about anything other than putting one word after another describing what you want to say as plainly as possible.

Let it set. How long? Who knows? You may come up with a better way to write it as you write it.

You may have to read it over five times before you realize how funky it sounds.

You may have to post it here and listen to other opinions before you come up with something you like.

But you'll never get anywhere without writing it down first.

Believe me. I know.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:47 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

it's called freed writing and I don't think you are serious anyway - you only have two post in the last thirteen days.

Max
Old 08-16-2015, 09:14 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Could be the OP is so serious that he or she is actually writing the story instead of wasting time posting about writing the story. Ya know?
Old 08-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 519

Like all of us layabouts.

Time's a-wasting.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 PM
KMC (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Just relax and think deep. :-)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Motley Crew (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 30

The important point when starting a story is to keep it interesting and compelling. As K.S. Crooks suggested starting before the main event can be good. But not unless there are hints of what's to come. In Harry Potter it started with Vernon Dursely's boring routine punctuated by owls and robed wizards on the streets in plain sight.
In the movie The Princess Diaries it starts with Mia Thermopoliss going to school but there's the hint of her future Royal life as the Genocian Procession pass behind her on a street corner.
Hope these pointers help. Knowing in more detail what you're looking for would help.
Good luck with your writing.

PM me when dawn breaks.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Nimmi Robins (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Help plss!

This is not a reply. But a question. I'm newly joined the writersbeat. How do i post a story i wrote? I really do not know where and how to post it. Can someone help?

Thanks

Nimmi Robins
Old 11-05-2015, 03:58 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by Nimmi Robins View Post
This is not a reply. But a question. I'm newly joined the writersbeat. How do i post a story i wrote? I really do not know where and how to post it. Can someone help?

Thanks

Nimmi Robins

I think I'm going to create a doc to simply paste when this question gets asked.

Basically you need to know the following :

1. Folks are more likely to give you feedback if you have read a few stories and given feedback. If you feel unqualified as an editor, remember you are qualified as a reader. Letting the author know where you got lost, got swept up in the story, or whatever helps.

2. Folks are more likely to give feedback if there are blank lines between paragraphs and the text is left justified. Personally, I hate centered text. But maybe that's just me.

3. You are supposed to have made five posts before posting a story for review. (See point #1, above.)

4. If the piece is something you plan to publish, but not now, post it in Members Only. Search engines can't find it, nor can guests see it, so it is not published. If this is practice, post it in Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry or Free Writing, depending on where that piece fits best. Keep in mind it available for all to see (guests and search engines included) and constitutes having been published.

Good luck.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues